Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartsdr ios microphone difficulty

W1HZ
W1HZ Member
Can't get iPad 2 Air microphone working with SmartSDR iOS.  The PTT works fine and I can tune and get power out.  I used the iOS default profile and can't get the microphone to work. I've also check the settings on the iPad under "privacy and microphone the SmartSDR iOS is in the "on" position.  Any ideas???

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Make sure DAX is off on the transmit section. That is the problem I had. Mike va3mw
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited May 2017
    Mike,

The DAX is off in the transmit section.  Did you configure anything when you first selectdc the iOS default profile for the microphone?

Much thanks,
    Rick
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Click the actual mic button on the right menu and set it to ipad.
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Steve,

The only reference to the iPad is the "iOS default profile" and there is no "iPad" setting.  Am I missing something?

Rick
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Press button in upper right corner to bring up right side menu. Right under the compression meter is a button labeled mic. Press it and select Ipad
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Right Menu, P/CW and above the PROC button. I missed a few times as well. Mike va3mw
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Mike and Steve, 

That was exactly the setting that I was missing!  I have it set properly and it keys nicely.  However, even with the iPad microphone setting and compression at maximum, I can barely get the meter half way into the green!  Any ideas for this problem?

Rick
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That is interesting. I have to dial mine back to about 60%. Make sure you have the IOS profiles still set. What happens if you use an ipad headset? Mike va3mw
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Mike, 

I never did anything with the iOS profiles and didn't know that this was necessary. Please walk me through them.  Also, I don't have an iPad headset.

Much thanks,
    Rick
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Look under RF power, left button, IOS_default_profile (TX tab). Under P/CW, bottom left, IOS_d.._profile See if that helps. When done, I have my mic gain set about 70 - beside the iPad button. The Level should peak normally.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just for yucks, I am now back on my Maestro but I can now use SSDR for IOS as the control panel. cool stuff.
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited July 2018
    Mike,

I have both the TX tab and iPad settings with iOS default profile already and when I get up top of the iPad Air 2 microphone, it's still about 50% scale.  Is there another way to get into this profile in settings?

Rick
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No idea past this point. What happens when you try to record a voice memo? Is it recorded at full audio? At this time, I would try an external mic if you can find one. You might have a problem with the internal mic. Mike
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    I've actually made a few contacts, but 20 meters isn't particularly good right now. Both stations thought the audio was a little low but sounded very clean.  Thanks for all your help and I'll probably pick up a microphone and give that a try!

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    In the documentation it states IPad 3 or higher I also have only IPad 2s and I can not get them to work properly . I dont know if anyone has got their 2s to work if so I would like to know how before I replace an IPad. Mine lock up never got to try to TX yet it locks up before I get there.
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Dennis,

I'm using many generations beyond an iPad 2.  The iPad Air 2 is much more recent than an iPad 3 and that was not the source of the microphone problem.  Good luck with yours...but I have a feeling you'll be upgrading to a newer iPad soon!

Rick
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Dennis The iPad 2 won't have enough horse power to handle the SDR data streams. That is why it statues iPad 3, it has a different CPU. Sorry, there is no fix other than upgrading your hardware. Mike va3mw
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm sure I will
  • Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited August 2016

I had to put the iPad and iPhone 6SP profile for TX to *Remote and it worked fine**

I played with it for a while as well till I got it to work with REMOTE

N2BJ Barry

• W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Barry!
  • Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited August 2016
    Did that work for you?
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FWIW, I have the same problem with low mic gain on SSDR for for iOS, using my Mini 4. I have the mic gain slider all the way to 100, and I can barely move the meter past 50% -- makes it really hard to get enough TX power out. Yes, I'm using the standard profile in the app. No problem at all with apps like Skype. Odd, huh? Peter K1PGV
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Barry,  I got it working from an earlier post and it was my error because I hadn't changed the "mic" to "iPad".  Much thanks!  Rick
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Peter,

We'll get it figured out over time.  It's a new app and someone will have a fix.  Meanwhile, I am making contacts with the iPad.

Best,
    Rick
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Do you have the 20 db boost on? my bluetooth mics don't need it but the built in mic and ear phone mic seems to need the boost.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In the" flex-6000 settings > radio settings > phone" tab, turn the "mic boost" switch ON. This is the +20 dB boost button. It is required if you are using the iPad/iPhone internal mic.

Then be sure that you have selected "iPad" on the mic selection panel (the right side pull-out menus).

Once you have gotten all of this set up, including mile levels, TX EQ, PROC, etc, them you need to save that profile so you don't need to do it all again.

Eventually, with experience, you will probably have several iPad Mic profiles saved -- for rag chew and DXing, and for internal Mic and Bluetooth Mic. Perhaps even for your car's built-in hands-free system. Some will need the mic boost, others will not. Each profile may need different EQ and PROCsettings.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    AH!  Thank you, Ken.

I forgot that little +20db button.

I'll have a chance to test this later today... but I'm quite confident you nailed it.

Thanks again and best regards,

Peter
    K1PGV
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Larry,

That is exactly what was needed!  It's really hidden in the settings and is under "phone" and not "transmit".  Once I turned it on, the audio was perfect!

Much thanks,
    Rick
  • W1HZ
    W1HZ Member
    edited August 2016
    Ken,

You're exactly correct and it did the trick!  Your direction under the "phone" tab is what I kept missing.  I was looking under "transmit".  

Much thanks,
    Rick, W1HZ
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am having the same problem with the mic volume.  I have "iPad" selected for the mic (ACC+ off, DAX off) and even with the mic slider set to 100% I am only getting half scale on the Level meter.

The "mic boost" setting does not seem to make any difference.  Since this is in the 6700 settings section (along with mic bias), I suspect this is only for the hardware mic inputs actually on the radio, not for remote input, at least that is the way it is acting here.

I have tried both the built-in mic and the earbuds mic on my iPad Pro.  The volume seems fine for other apps.

Is there another boost setting other than the one under the "Flex-6700 settings / Phone" menu?

73, Bob, N7ZO

Also, the "Mon" setting (below the processor)  does not seem to have any effect.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.