Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Graphics Lockup

Joe WD5Y
Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Flex 6500, Latest SmartSDR Version, Windows 10, GTX 650 Video Card. No error code is shown SmartSDR just locks up if I scroll frequency with Flex Control and especially if I scroll completely to left or right of panadapter, it is something with my graphics for sure but not sure how to resolve. When I start task manager it shows SmartSDR is running as normal. I have tried lower FPS settings in SmartSDR to no avail. This also was the case with Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73's
Joe
WD5Y

Comments

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Does it work predictably without flex control?
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Great point will test with Mouse

Thanks
    Joe
    WD5Y
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That, BTW, would be a great addition to skiddles, or whatever this app is called now, a general word index such that one could search for content, not titles, of word combinations like 'Flex control' Windows 10. That's incredibly simple to do, either using Lucene or the engine version, Sol.
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Walt,

It also failed with just using the mouse for control, this time task manager did give an error of "no response" after the lockup. Maybe a driver issue here but only locks up with SmartSDR? The 6500 still has audio as if SmartSDR is operating ok.

Thanks,
    Joe
    WD5Y
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Did get an error to post. Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Joe
    WD5Y

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Short of anyone on here recognizing that failure, Tim will be on in about 12 hrs. I am certain he'll recognize it. Is the one on the right the Win10 spash screen? I don't do Windows. I am sure this wasn't their desired point but it looks a bit like Poltergiest.."don't go to the light, stay away from the light".
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'll check with Tim, probably seen the error before hopefully. Yes it is the win 10 splash screen, very different from before. I may try to roll back a few video drivers to see the results, who knows?

Thanks and 73's,
    Joe
    WD5Y
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Joe:

Have you installed the latest NVIDIA driver.  Don't rely on the driver which is promoted by W10.  It is much better to use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience downloader environment.  Each NVIDIA-based vendor will also have their own tools for overclocking, etc., but the NVIDIA GeForce Experience will always get you the most recent NVIDIA driver.  The NVIDIA drivers are continuously updated, mostly for optimization of new games, but they also fix bugs and compatibility issues.

Good luck.

73, Reg
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Reg, I am using Nvidia experience. I did just try a new update and same issue. It is only SmartSDR that freezes and locks up while I have other programs running that are ok, no locks. I also only started SmartSDR by itself and it locks up as well. Thanks, Joe WD5Y
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Joe - I looked at your error code.  This is definitely a problem being caused by your Win10 video driver.  Did you upgrade from a previous operating system?  If so was it working properly with it?
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I did upgrade from windows 7 and had the same problem. I actually was hoping the upgrade would eliminate the issue. Something in the driver must be carrying over? Thanks, Joe WD5Y
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    In that case, it is possible that the issue is with the graphics card hardware.  Do you have a different video card you can try?

It may also be a BIOS issue.  You can try a BIOS updates
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    No luck on hardware, hope I don't have to purchase a new card as this one is not too old. I have been using GeForce experience to update, might try a complete uninstall and update through windows? Thanks, Joe
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just wanted to post that I located problem. I had a utility video program running in the background called "precision x16" that I used to better control the GPU fans with, it also performs other functions as well evidently some not too good! It goes to show that sometimes using enhancing software is not a good idea. Anyway, I hope this helps someone as well, be careful what you download. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Good find!  Thanks for the follow up info.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.