Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for Windows with the "M" Series rigs

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows

When using SmartSDR for windows via computer connected to the M Series Rig by Local Area Network for operating locally (Not Smartlink) (the M Series display shows the Rig and In Use on the display) are any of the settings in SmartSDR for windows retained by the M Series rig when it is again used as a stand alone unit without SmartSDR for windows?

In other words if I am listening to 14.225 Mhz USB with a tx filter of 2900 lo at 100 high at 3000 using SmartSDR for windows then am done and disconnect from the M series rig and shutdown SmartSDR for windows and the computer that was running SmartSDR for windows then am done for the day and turn off the M series rig.

What happens the next time I start the M series rig by pressing the power button and starting the rig stand alone, if necessary choosing the version if the screen should appear then pressing run..

Does the M series rig come up the same way as the last time it was operated stand alone or does the M series rig come up with the same 14.225 Mhz USB with tx fiter of 2900 lo at 100 and hight at 3000 as it was when I disconnected SmartSDR for windows?

I need to know if the Stand Alone M series rig is independent with its persistence from SmartSDR for windows computer control.

I understand profiles can alter this, but I'm talking only persistence as it applies to the standalone rig and the last operated condition when SmartSDR for windows was disconnected from the rig.

Clear as mud I guess ... hopefully someone will know what I'm asking.

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You're asking about persistence between the M front panel and SmartSDR on a PC  on successive sessions, right?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For the most part it is all retained.  So if you leave SSDR and go to the M radio you will find the same frequencies and setup.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Actually on the M front panel when used as stand alone with SmartSdr in the rig and SmartSdr on a computer connected to the local network when connected to the rig for control from SmartSdr for windows.

My goal here is NOT to pooch up all the stand alone settings I have adjusted to my desires on how it looks and operates in stand alone mode using the front panel.

If SmartSDR for windows is not smart enough to figure out how I want my stand alone M to work and look and not mess it up, then its not close to be even smart enough for me to want to use to control my 6400M from computer since I invested so much time getting it to display and operate to fit my style.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Wayne once on the M radio just load a Global profile and you will get what you saved on the M radio. This not only includes MIC and TX settings but the generate look and settings.

You could actually create a profile for SSDR and one tweaked for M radio if needed but really dont see the point. Of course 4 slice global profiles saved on SSDR (6600) will not display on the M radio and the C and D slice will be stripped off.

When I had a M radio I jumped back and forth with no issues. Just use Global profiles to get back to your base if needed.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    So what your saying is I need a duplicate set of profiles for use only when using smartsdr for windows in addition to the set of profiles i use for stand alone operation.

Ok that makes sense I can make that work i think didnt really think of that. Thanks.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have never heard of anyone spending almost 3 days setting their Flex the way they want it, If I lose all my profiles for some reason I can set everything back in about an hour just as it was before.
    But yes once you save your profiles you just load in the one you want back and forth without effecting anything at all. 
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Bill that's cause you mostly operate on flex probably most of the time. My only flex experience has been with the 3000 and never dealt with profiles before. So it took me a while since it was something I realized I needed to do before I went beyond the stand alone operation. I have been taking baby steps and trying to fully understand what I am doing what my goal is and how to get there.

Rich, that was super helpful, I looked at the profiles again and indeed the only ones I need to setup and create a duplicate on are the Global profiles since the transmit and mic profiles do not affect any of the display or op items which I have set exclusive to the M model. Thanks so much!

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well if you want a different look at feel for SSDR than you do in M radio, then yes.

I really did not find the need as there was enough similarity between M radio and SSDR.  But your style of course will vary from mine :)

There is no reason to have different MIC and TX profiles (that I can think of). But the Global encompasses the look of the panafalls, etc.

I just find it easier to setup everything on SSDR and M radio did a good job at getting what I wanted.

So if you want SSDR to look one way and M radio to look another then Global profiles are going to be your friend.

Don't forget to back them up (export).

And Bill, I had hours and hours in getting my globals setup originally.  Partly because of learning how they work and partly because of complexity. They are powerful and are great for setting up the slice DAX for multiple instances of FT8, IQ streams for CW not to mention all the bands I operate as I use it for a band switch.

A good example is I either listen or talk on four different frequencies on 80 meters each day.   So my 80 meter global fires 4 slices on two panafalls ready to go. And they are all muted except the one that starts earliest.

Since I use Globals to their fullest I was disappointed in Flex's implementation on the M radios which could  require as many as 6 finger presses to select and close the menu.  Hoping they improve that.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Funny you mention that. PSDR is rather limited on this. IN PSDR you can export the data base and import it back to save settings. But not nearly as slick as SSDR. That's something I should look into myself is global profiles.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.