Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for Windows - requested enhancements

2»

Comments

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good points! But in my opinion, a software rendered needle and underlying increments can be discerned at a glance, contingent only on selecting a color scheme that preserves legibility.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    By the way. I totally agree that eye candy sells better than actual working features.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Paul,
    Here is a mockup from an idea posted a year ago.  It also recognizes the advantages/preferences of both analog and digital.   And the importance of using colors that provide better visibility.  

Here is a link to the idea:  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/-dbm-readout-up-all-the-time

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.1.30
    Win10

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
     DogparkSDR is an excellent example.  His GUI is highly functional without having to resort to too many stand alone windows. 
    I thought it was the exact opposite with dpSDR. It has a separate HUD, and pan window. Then you have to use the menus accessible from the top of the mac screen to do some functions. BTW dpSDR doesn't have DAX and CAT built in. These are third party apps which also need loopback or some other program for them to work.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As long as I can turn off the high contrast colors, have at it. I would really hate for that to be the default, fixed option. 

Meters showing dBm and "S" units are a good idea. I think the top scale is superfluous, however. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Some people do not understand the philosophy behind Flex radios. Most of the things mentioned are not oversites or un finished work on the SSDR. They are mostly intended, but in saying that I am sure Flex has some things they want to change. The idea of using 3rd party software with the Flex is what is hopped for. There are some wonderful software out there that allows us to do almost anything.

Keep in mind that SSDR is much different than PSDR were PSDR was computer based and all the hard work was done in the computer. Not so on SSDR, it is a light or thin client that runs independent of a computer for processing. So now we are only using the resources with in the the radio it self.

so in deciding what features to address it must need to be understood if we are just talking about a visual thing or will it effect in the radio resources to get it done, and by how much. Very careful planning is needed.

So, take advantage of the feature your radio has in it's ability to use other software to get what you want.
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited March 2018
    Then you have to use the menus accessible from the top of the mac screen to do some functions.
    All menu commands are available with a right-click on the panadapter contextual menu - anyone who actually used dogparkSDR would know that.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    To clarify, in my view, the dpSDR (Mac) interface is more aesthetically pleasing, intuitive and legible than the Windows alternative.  The same is true of SmartSDR for IOS.  On the Mac, settings not used frequently are neatly tucked away out of sight but can be accessed on demand through the dpSDR settings menu.  Also, and irrespective of the OS, once the equalizer has been configured, most of us seldom need to adjust those settings.  Compare to the SSdr (Windows platform) where equalizer settings take up valuable screen real estate in the form of a dedicated panel.  Why not move equalizer settings to a drop down within the menu bar?  This would free up space that could repurposed for inserting a legible s-meter...a full pane to enhance legibility and accessibility.  The new pane could be toggled--analog or bar graph s-meter--at the user's discretion.  Yes, functionality is the top priority, but functionality needn't be implemented at the expense of aesthetics.  Anyone who's ever used a Mac knows that functionality--and aesthetics--need not be mutually exclusive.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    HI Don, I have actually use dogparkSDR in trial mode. Thanks for the note, I will try that. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What percentage of your user base uses this level of (relatively complex) functionality?
    I would think everyone who uses a Maestro or M model 6400 or 6600 and connects their radio to their computer for digital modes or logging.
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited March 2018
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    "The idea of using 3rd party software with the Flex is what is hopped for. There are some wonderful software out there that allows us to do almost anything." 

You have mentioned that a few times before. I personally am surprised/disappointed in the lack of third party support. Not blaming the 3rd party guys or Flex but I was expecting more.

And regarding the comments about Icom's meter. I think they have more work in that meter than most people would expect.  That is a fine piece of work !

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Me too, I wish there were more software as well to work with the Flex.
    I think Icom missed the boat on that meter. It is trying to stay with the old meter stile that many hams are used to. But it is not easy to read at a glance, too busy. or from a arm distance away. That is why I always use the Flex Bobs meter, it is large and very clean, and I looks great. If I want that type meter. And I can park it any were on the screen.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The old style analog meter has vanished.  In its place stands the relatively new option, which is the software simulated analog S-meter...something that is every bit as accurate as a bar graph, does not suffer from parallax like the discontinued mechanical meters, and which can be read at a glance (so long as the color scheme is optimal).  These simulated analog meters appear on some of the most popular radios released over the past five years including the IC-7610, FTDX 3000 (148 reviews, rated 4.7 on Eham)...and for those with around $6k to spare, the SunSDR MB1.  People who shell out thousands of dollars for a transceiver want the freedom to choose the style of meter that best suits their needs, and without having to resort to an orphan window that is not integral to the radio.   
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Yep, just like everyone who lives in the middle of the dessert has 24/7 internet. Not!  Wake up America!

However, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :-)

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I like the PGXL style of meters - and also similar ones like power/SWR meters with bar graphs. An approximate level is good for a quick glance. This is why most speedometers are still analog. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    In my opinion smartsdr for windows is in need of a design overhaul. Customization being the key word. I bought into the Flex idea because the potential to customize and make the radio unique to my operating style and taste. It is not about what is better which is clearly debatable (as seen in all the post above) but what is flexible to work for many different users.... In summary what I perceive as best for me. The typical legacy radio didn't offer much in customization and smartsdr had the potential.... Unfortunately it has not been realized yet. I support the request even if I personally do not like needles.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Digital is best for accuracy, analog is best for seeing changing patterns. That is why many people like both. 5hey have different functions.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Digital is best for accuracy, analog is best for seeing changing patterns. That is why many people like both. 5hey have different functions.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yep, just like everyone who lives in the middle of the dessert has 24/7 internet. Not!  Wake up America!
    I'd say that the use case of Maestro or 6400M/6600M with the need for sound card modes or computer logging is fairly common. 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'd say that the use case of Maestro or 6400M/6600M with the need for sound card modes or computer logging is fairly common. 

• K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Exactly Doug, having to open other windows especially for something as basic as a squelch is just crazy.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It will likely be this way for some time. In time we will see what Flex wants to do in regards to many of the things discussed here. The way SSDR works well with SSDR apps is something planned. As far as Flex features still to come they will be built in to the SSDR.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For the record, I vote YES for an analog style S-meter. 
    NE7X...
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No need to vote..... it could be a choice since its software.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Agreed: I vote YES to have a choice, analog or digital depending upon personal preference.
  • Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I have tried to do this SDR/bridge/skimmer and run into problems.  Tim-do you have a Wiki or some instructions?

• James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    Because SSDR is a "thin client" it can do things like an analog meter without impacting the preformance of the radio. Analog, digital, whatever method of Displaying signal strength, requires no resources in the radio itself that are not already being generated in the radio's internal software. So, other than the time to write the code for an analog meter,(and debug it) there is no reason it could not be done. If FRS wanted to do it. James WD5GWY
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    It is on the SDRBridge web page

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.