Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS App is AMAZING!!

John - AF3K
John - AF3K Member ✭✭
Just purchased the SmartSDR for iOS app over the weekend. It is truly amazing!! Amazing because it is beautifully designed, and fun to use. Congratulations to Marcus DL8MRE who independently developed this outside of Flex. Kudos to the Flex team for providing a great API to enable this. SmartSDR for iOS delivers almost every feature found in SmartSDR for Windows. In some ways, it's even better. subtly adding creative new things like showing DX cluster spots and band maps on the panadapter. It offers an alternative color option that to my eyes improves the already nice standard one in SmartSDR for Windows. The touch interface is full of little things that just make it work. I am amazed by this app and enjoying using it!! Thank you Flex and thank you Marcus. Great job guys. John AF3K

Comments

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited December 2016

I have an iPad 2, 4 years old and with the latest IOS slower than snails and won't run this app, at least not very well. I recently received my Maestro and so far love it but the iPad Pro 12" is calling out to me for SmartSDR as well as Netflix etc...

So, I just ordered a new iPad Pro 12", got a good deal on one so I'll be buying this app as soon as the iPad arrives.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Any one had any luck trying to use this program with Softether L2TP configuration for WAN operation?

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Interested in Jim's question.  I would like to use the APP from a remote location.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim, Doug,

There are VPN related comments in this thread:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-ios-problems-with-vpn-and-audio

The short answer is yes, Softether L2TP VPN works fine with SmartSDR for iOS.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have been at work today using softether with my iphone 6s. Four hours so far with zero disconnects.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I've been listening to 40m all morning here at work!  Running Softether L2TP VPN with SmartSDR for IOS through my 4G connection.  Using a iPad Mini Air 4 with built in mic. I just worked a special event W8W and he gave me a glowing audio report.  He said he couldn't tell I was working remote!   I have not gotten any disconnects or dropouts.  It's been running steady all morning.   I'm pretty impressed so far! 

Cal/N3CAL

• Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Many thanks for all your hard work Marcus.  John AF3K has summed it all up, quite amazing.  Runs superbly on my iPad Air with 6300. 

Andy F5VAI
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Works great on WAN
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I can't get softether working for the life of me.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

UDP ports (500, 4500 and 1701) need to be forwarded to the SoftEther Server device IP

• W3PH
    W3PH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It runs very well on the 12" iPad Pro - SmartSDR for iOS is very smooth on that hardware.
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'd love to get it, but I can't find it on Apple's APP STORE in the USA, either searching "smartsdr" or two words, "smart sdr"  Where do I get it?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

The above it is the response from the App Store

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Go to the iTunes store not the app store.

Jon...kf2e
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Question:  Is Raspberry Pi still required when connecting SSDR-ios with SoftEther VPN? 

What would be most helpful, is an updated video showing the complete steps required just for getting SSDR-ios up and running with SoftEther and an iPad and/or iPhone.   

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    A Raspberry Pi ws never required. What is required is a server for Softether. That can be run on many platforms. Your Windows machine that you use for SmartSDR is an obvious choice.

Jon...kf2e
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Also works very well with OSX Server's VPN. On the beach in Los Angeles listening to my rig!
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

What's confusing is that many suggestions in the Flex Community refer to the 2-part K6OZY video for setting up SmartEther with SSDR-ios.  More confusing, the first 22 minutes of Part 1 discuss provisioning a Raspberry Pi, when the applicable material starts thereafter.

Again, it would be helpful for a power-user to start with a clean slate and either explicitly state the step-by-step instructions or produce a new video.

Paul, W9AC  

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

@Paul

There are lots of videos on how on the Internet to set up a VPN on the iPhone/iPad

Here is one

http://www.howtogeek.com/215730/how-to-connect-to-a-vpn-from-your-iphone-or-ipad/

It is so incredibly simple...

Connect to PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and Cisco IPSec

1.To set up a VPN, open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad,

2. tap the General category, and

3.  tap VPN near the bottom of the list.

4.  Tap “Add VPN Configuration” to add your first VPN settings to the phone or tablet. If you need to configure multiple VPNs, you can add them from this screen, too.

5.  Select the L2TP option for L2TP/IPSec, PPTP for PPTP, or IPSec for Cisco IPsec

If you are using SoftEther at your base then choose L2TP

6. Enter your VPN’s connection details on this screen to connect. .

That it...

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/9.L2TPIPsec_Setup_Guide_for_SoftEther_VPN_Server/2.iPhone_i...

Here is how to connect a softether VPN to the iPhone

Again.. incredibly easy to do..

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

Howard,

Way past that part and had that set up long ago...I'm referring to the Ethersoft set-up for use with the iPhone's L2TP.  After getting past the 22 minute intro, one problem with the K6OZY video is that the screen image cannot be expanded for a clearer view. 

Paul, W9AC 

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited August 2016
    Adding to Howard, I had to open Port 51 for Softether VPN (L2TP) to allow my iOS devices to connect. Go figure....
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited August 2016
    Adding to Howard, I had to open Port 51 for Softether VPN (L2TP) to allow my iOS devices to connect. Go figure....
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Have you run it over VPN yet?
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited August 2016
    I have on an iPad Pro 9.7" - PPTP VPN over fiber, cable broadband, and LTE/4G hotspot. Also directly on my iPhone 6 with PPTP VPN over LTE. I've had no issues (other than when cell service is spotty/drops out while driving). The cable broadband experience was particularly good considering it was in a very rural area with 20/2 mbps service. Needless to say, it works excellent on your LAN at home as well. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

@ Paul

Did you get it working yet?

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Paul, to put it another way....The Pi isn't required on the home network.
    But if you want to use L2TP/iPsec VPN with Softether to host your iPad/iPhone, you must have the Softether server running on SOMETHING in the shack/home network.  

It can run on your main shack computer, a separate older computer doing server duty, a compatible "hacked" router, a NAS Drive Box (I call mine a "Toaster.") or a simple Raspberry Pi, in order to relieve your other computers of this duty.  

I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 at Dayton this year with intentions of experimentation with Softether in the shack, but haven't gotten around to it yet -- testing SSDR-ios has been too much fun and I already have it going with a simple PPTP VPN connection.

The other usage of the Raspberry Pi that others are confusing with this is when interfacing the Maestro via VPN.  Since the Maestro does not yet have VPN Client software integrated, some folks, like K6OZY have been using a Raspberry Pi as a wifi connection / VPN Client to allow the Maestro to connect to your home VPN.  Since the Softether Client can be installed on the Pi,  it made easy sense.

Hope this helps.

I am amazed at the creativity some in our ranks have demonstrated.  I need to learn to program my own Pi in order to keep up!
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited June 2020

Howard & Ken,

Yes.  Got it going yesterday and described what it took to get there! 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-ios-problems-with-vpn-and-audio

Paul

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oops!  I even read your post yesterday!  (They say that short term memory is the first to go.....)

But I had a brain cramp and was only focusing on the Raspberry Pi Question!
    Perhaps my answer will help clarify things for someone else.

Glad you got it running.  Having fun now!

Ken - NM9P
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Awesome APP! Much fun from my iPhone 6+ and iPad. Not certain the XYL is exactly thrilled that I can work QSOs from a phone pulled from my pocket. Thinking she is worried I will "go radio" if houseguests drone on mindlessly. Sounds better to me though! Excellent "smile making" application- thank you! 73 Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.