Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS always takes over multitasking split screen

Ed - W2RF
Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
On my iPad Pro whenever I slide to the left to open split-screen multitasking, SSDR for iOS comes up. This happens even when the app is closed. The only way to stop it is to uninstall the app. Am I missing a setting? Anyone else see this?

73 Ed W2RF

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Men don't multitask anyways? so don't fret about it?
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use the split screen to copy and paste between apps. Or I would if it worked. Listening to the radio while I work is as close as I get to multitasking. But for some it works well.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Ed, what you describe is the desired behavior. You may wonder about this since you may have not seen this often as most Apps are not capable of multitasking but my App indeed is so it appears in the right hand menu and you can run it side by side with another App - which I personally use quite often - especially as long as my logging feature for the App is not yes ready to open a notepad next to my App for logging.

So again all Apps that are capable of doing multitasking (that have at least once be started) will end up on that right side bar. The most recently used App will stay "on top" and to select your other Apps (e.g. Mail or Safary which can also do multitasking) you can tap on the top _ icon at the top center of the right side bar and move it down. Now you can scroll between all available Apps.

If you move the vertical bar on the left side of that side bar, you can also change the size of the side bar to cover e.g. 50% of the screen. This way you have two Apps side by side running simultaneously. Again this is not possible with all Apps but with SmartSDR. For the Apps who can do multitasking but no Split screen, you can't slide and lock the side bar at another location.

As this is not SmartSDR App related I would otherwise refer to the iPad Manual which (I think at least) also describes this feature or various YouTube videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4I4WEMQYg

But please let me know if I got you wrong.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The problem I was having is that I could not get iOS to remember that I was using another app. Whenever I opened split screen, SSDR was there.

However after an uninstall and reinstall of SSDR for iOS it seems to be working properly.

If the problem recurs I will post again here.

Meanwhile your post should be helpful for those working with SSDR for iOS and multitasking.

73 Ed W2RF
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Ed, but again this is really how it was intended to be by Apple. Of course will you remove SmartSDR from the right slide-in-screen if you uninstall my App as with any other App as well but why ? To select another App to appear there, you can use the top _ Icon as described before. If you do that and select another App to Appear right, It will appear there next time as well - and the same works the other way round: E.g. start SmartSDR as main App, open the split screen. Tap the _ Icon, select your desired App for the right side - done. If you close both Apps, open SmartSDR, open the split screen again, you will see the same, previously selected App.
    Maybe have a look to the YouTube video I sent.
    But again, for me that's so obvious that I still have the funny feeling that I still get you wrong.

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Marcus, you describe the way it should work and the way it works now that I have uninstalled and reinstalled SSDR for iOS. However previously here is what I saw:

open an app
    slide splitter to left. SSDR is there.
    Slide down and select another app.
    Click home to minimize.
    Reopen the app. SSDR is back in the splitter.

The other app should be in the splitter. That is how it works now after reinstall. Hope this makes it clear.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited August 2016
    Ok, got you, but I tried now a few times and following your example I have always the other App in the splitter.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it works properly for me now too, after I uninstalled and reinstalled SSDR for iOS. Will post again here if it recurs.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have an iPad Air and cannot seem to do the split screen. I assume this only works on the iPad Air 2. Is that correct?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.