Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS adds 'flic' capability

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
Hello,

I just noticed that the latest, greatest iteration of SmartSDR for iOS now includes the ability to be controlled using a "flic" Bluetooth based button that can be attached to objects, or people and that can send control codes using a single, double or long tap with a cell phone or tablet nearby (until they sell their flic hub).

I would be interested if anyone has tried this new feature and what they think of it?

Thanks!

Roy AC2GS

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I ordered one. I’ll let you know how it works out.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Just tried one. Code is still Alpha Testing it for bugs. Will wait until Marcus releases before commenting.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Did some testing. Works very well. Easy.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Unless I fell through a temporal breach without noticing, Marcus and Apple released the new 'flic' enabled version to the general, nontesting public this morning.

Perhaps you should check it out, and update from your Alpha to the release version?
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Do you think it would be redundant for people that have already invested in a Griffin controller, or do you think the two complement each other?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Been playing Alpha so missed the general release. Got v2.2.1 now Flic works great.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Don’t have a Griffin so can’t compare. I am using Flic for PTT for SSB. Easier than hitting screen PTT. It. Was only $34. So no big deal.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The Griffin device has a rotating knob control for tuning/volume as well as a button device.

I just wonder if the flic's simpler, smaller pushbutton has any more uses than the Griffin controller, or whether it is just "more of the same"?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If you have the griffin knob then you can use that but there is the risk of QSYing when you PTT so the flic adds an extra button independent from the vfo knob.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Four flics and a PowerMate Bluetooth knob playing well together, PTT, AM, LSB, USB functions assigned. image
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not to muddy the waters..( a skill I seem to have ) but I wonder if the Satechi Bluetooth button could be made to work as well? That seems to have the functionality of the Griffin but reportedly much better battery life.  Any experience out there on that with the Griffin?
      I'm looking to make the Ipad Pro play as a control surface here on the desk for the PC SSDR.  I was hoping the Maestro would have gained that function with Ver. 2 but no apparent sign that is coming.    thanks  Mike W1BFA

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Mike, the Satechi Button won't work as it doesn't support Bluetooth LE as far as I can see on their website. Bluetooth LE is the only reasonable option for something external to be integrated to iOS Apps and even then, some development work would be necessary from my end.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Marcus... I saw the Satechi and liked the looks of it. I’ll go back to looking at the Flik or Griffin. Also, thank you for the efforts with Smart sdr. Very smooth and well thought out! Mike. W1BFA
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Bought a three pack from Amazon- should have them by Wednesday. I also have the Powermate but haven't used it much. The flic attracted me because if its smaller size.

Thanks Marcus for integrating this into SmartSDR for iOS.

Jim

ka7gzr

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I like the knob on the PowerMate!

Jim

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I personally use the Powermate most of the time for fine tuning. I don't want to miss it anymore. It is always sitting here at my desk.

Please note that there is a USB and a Bluetooth LE Powermate. Only the Bluetooth LE Powermate can be used - just if somebody is wondering. More can be found in the manual of course.

Thanks all,
    Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have one flic. I’m loving it! Nice as a ptt button. Pictured next to my EDC HT for size comparison image
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I got my 3 pack today.I haven't really had time to play with them yet. I see most use them as a PTT. Probably I will use it in the near term- but wonder how long the usefulness will last...

Jim

ka7gzr 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.