Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR defaults to LSB on 160, 80 and 40 with WSJT-X

When selecting 160, 80 or 40 meter bands with WSJT-X, my slide always defaults to LSB on those bands even though I have the mode setting in WSJT-X set to USB.  Every time I got to one of these bands I have to manually reset the mode to USB.  Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Kevin First you should be using DIGU. Second perhaps a profile setup for WSJT could help
  • Kevin Conde
    Kevin Conde Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm sorry, but neither answer makes any sense to me.  Could you be a little more detailed?  Thanks,
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    +1 on both that Mark suggested.  In WSJT-X check the item "Data/Pkt" instead of USB.  the DIGU mode is best since it disables all audio filtering, which you DON'T want when running digital modes.  Also, profiles are your friend - makes life a lot easier to reconfigure the radio for digital then switch back to your usual mode (SSB or CW, perhaps) by having a profile for that mode.  It saves fiddling with all the settings!
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Down the "SmartSDR Profiles How To Guide" here to learn how to use profiles:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-profiles-how-to-guide-pdf/

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Kevin,

DIGU is another "mode" available like CW, USB, LSB, DIGL, DIGU etc.... 

As Greg said below:   DIGU is nice because it disables ALL EQ and filtering of the audio.   Your audio input would likely be DAX so you would have mode set to DIGU, DAX Button on, this would be pretty much a pure digital path from WSJT-X to SSDR.

Greg has a post below on profiles.  Basically you can setup a "profile" which is a set of remembered settings for each kind of thing you do.   I have:

40mCW profile that sets all modes, frequencies, pans, slices, output etc for CW ops on 40m.

I also have a 40mFT8 which does the same thing but moves the frequency to 7.074 and sets DIGU, DAX input etc.  It also sets the slice filter to be like 0 to 6000 hz.

So I think those are the way to go.   
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks this was very helpful when my 6600M arrives in a few weeks!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Robert
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yep.  That's the ticket.... in WSJT-X Config, set it to Data/Pkt and it will always change to the correct mode when you change bands in WSJT-X.

ALSO.  Set up and save Mic Profile for WSJT-X with TX Hi/Lo as 0 / 3000  (or 0 / 5000 if you also plan to use the combined JT modes).  Have it set MON to ON at a low to mid level if you want to monitor your TX audio to make sure you are transmitting OK.  Then after selecting DigU for the first time, select that Mic Profile, and it will remember to link that profile to DigU and you won't mess up your SSB Mic Profiles.

When you switch back to USB/LSB, it will remember your last used SSB profile.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.