Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR crashed, now booting 2.1.32 says it needs an upgrade and stalls at initiating hardware.

K1SZO
K1SZO Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Maestro
So I was monitoring 20m on the Maestro and the audio stopped.  I looked and it basically said SmartSDR crashed.  I rebooted it and started it up again.   

Once it got to selecting 2.1.32 version, I started it and it said it needed to update and started going through the update process (1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 etc)  I believe at 4/4 it said it was initializing hardware and it starts showing this letters in parentheses.  It cycles through them over and over till it finally just fails and has to be rebooted only to do it again.

Comments

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hey David!

What model?

Best Regards

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    After the crash the processors did not reset properly. Turn radio off un plug the power cord for 15 seconds reconnect power cord and re boot.
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I picked it up used on QRZ.  Looking at the front and the back of it, I don't see an exact model number, only the serial number on the back and it won't boot to look at any menu in the radio except for select a version / WiFi setup, etc

As for turning the radio off.  I did pull the plug and even pulled the battery out of the back.  Yet it's still on so I'm guessing there is also an internal battery besides the one in the compartment on the back.

I'm unclear how to reset the processor since I can't prevent power from reaching it unless I just let whatever battery it's using to run dead.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If it is the internal battery problem, then it will need to go back to Flex for repair. If the battery is not kept charged while not in use this can happen.
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This all started when the Maestro was in use and plugged in.   SmartSDR errored and had to be shutdown.  When the Maestro rebooted, it said that 2.1.32 version needed to be updated and that update never completed.  Now, every time I boot it.  It tries to complete the update, but fails and says the hardware failed to respond.   (while booting and stuff, the black-lit buttons are randomly flashing, which I don't recall happening prior to this.  (though I could be wrong)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If know one replies here with a fix for you, then open a help desk ticket so they can work with you on getting it fixed.
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just an update.   I removed the power plug, removed the battery in the back and let it run until it wore down the internal battery and the Maestro would no longer boot.  (I was hoping to **** all power to the hardware allowing a real hardware reset)

Once it wouldn't boot anymore, I plugged it back in and booted it up.  Choose 2.1.32 version and it said it was finishing an internal update, but rather than getting stuck at initializing hardware.  It flipped right past that and SmartSDR booted up connected to my 6400!

Problem resolved. 

73, Dave ~ K1SZO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.