Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR CAT missing VSP

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
Missing VSP, see error messageimage

Comments

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Running version 1.5.1.152. No issues until this morning
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Got to "Services" in Windows and look for VSP.  Windows has turned off the automatic start.  Start it manually and change the setting to "Automatic" or "Automatic Delayer'.  It happens to me everytime Windows does an update.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The actual service name is "Virtual Service Port kit". The reason I'm saying this Rick is if a person is looking for "VSP" he/she will never find it.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, seems to be working, now if I can remember the next time :)

73's
    Lew
    N4CO
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Me too!  I frequently see this message.  I reported it, and support folks told me how to manually start the service, which I can do, but it is only a workaround.  The problem seems to be related to delays with Windows startup on a "big" machine with lots of things to do during boot up.  Even setting the service startup to "retry" several times does not always solve the problem.  The message to affected users seems to be that SSDR CAT is only a bridging strategy until the world catches up to native SSDR interfaces.  That's fine, but it doesn't help in the here and now.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Martin, the service must be set to automatic. Windows loads services early in the startup process and sometimes the service will not function properly if loaded too late.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tnx Bob -

The service is set to automatic, and the "recovery" options are set to restart the service -- as suggested by FRS.  (On "first failure", "second failure", and "subsequent failures"! We also have the option to have the system reboot itself upon service failure, but that seems a tad excessive.) Still, the service fails maybe 30-50% of the time on cold startup on my i7-920 system.

If I wait for the machine to quiet down after boot up, I can always start the service manually - from the Win7 "Services" dialog.  Then I have to start SSDR CAT manually, also.

It's not the worst problem to have, but it indicates that SSDR CAT needs a little work.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are going to be adding the automatic restart on service timeout (which I strongly suspect was Lewis' issue) to the FlexVSP service in an upcoming release of SmartSDR.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Martin - do you by chance have a solid state hard drive for your boot disk?  We are seeing instances on fast machines where the boot process is no longer disk bound causing processes to timeout or fail to start altogether.  We are trying to characterize this issue, but it is very machine / OS / and installed apps dependent.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim - No SSD on my system.  I do have some background apps that automatically start up, like BOINC.  (BOINC runs big scientific jobs in the background. I find that I can "donate" > 50% of my system this way without apparently hurting SSDR.)  I haven't tried experimenting by removing this service. It might help with VSP startup.  There may also be "cobwebs" in the system from earlier development projects.  (Sigh.)

I do have a slow boot.  It can take nearly 5 minutes from boot to quiescent desktop.  Ironically, my "slower" systems boot a lot faster. (Time to reload the OS? Migrate to W10? :) I can give you more details off line.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.