Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR CAT Exception Error -Trial Period has EXPIRED?

Erika - KØDD
Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Worked fine last evening until shutting down, This morning I can't get on the air....  6500, SSDR v 3.1.8  Seems like I need to reinstall Everything ONCE A WEEK to keep the system running. It was working the best it possibly could 

Comments

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I don't know your situation meaning is this a recent purchase with the info you have posted here. BUT if it was me I would create or open a help ticket with Flex. My experience is within a few hours you will be contacted and help will follow quickly. The last time I needed help with a DAX problem Tim from Flex got back to my help ticket within 4 hours, and logged in to my system and correct it in just a few minutes using Team Viewer. Please let us know here how you are coming along, you have a great radio and a great support team behind it. BTW if you don't have Team Viewer now I would install it.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thank You for the response Doug.  Several different guys have had this issue in the last 5 or 6 months.  It's VSP saying its trial period is over.  NOT SSDR.

I had 5 wonderful blissful days of perfect operation of all the intertwined software packages...  SSDR v3.1.8, HRD latest BUT no rig control, DDUtil v4.09, I use it as the HRD network server and API monitoring functions, TEMP, Voltage, Space weather and wattmeter.  WSJT-X 2.1.2, and JTAlert 2.15.9. That updated just this week...

There's a PORT CONFLICT inside WIN 10, various Microsoft products and SSDR... (VSP)  when I reboot I have to make sure My Outlook software and SKYPE  (my telephone) are shut down, so they don't try to autostart on a bootup or KERPOW, runs straight onto VSP's drivers & stuff...  Get a BSOD and Microsoft gets another core dump to look at.  PORTCLS.SYS is where the conflict comes into play.

The last update to windows was sometime ago, but I suspect the instability began a couple weeks ago.  These last 5 days have been the first time I was happy with the way things worked...  But then POOF back to the old blowed up software AGAIN...

HONESTLY....  I they should come up with a CUT DOWN VERSION that will NEVER be used remote... BUT still has all the latest other stuff in it and works...  GET TUNER WORKING properly and the software can handle whatever Microsoft throws at it.  Its like FRS is at war with our operating systems and pretending there's no issue...  I'd switch to MAC, but all of my software was developed for WINDOWS....  There's way too much maintenance and gafflooie issues with this software....

HOW'd I get it running again?  Like I always do at least once a week.  UNinstall SSDR including VSP, but DAX drivers can stay...  Reinstall everything where it was previously and it all comes right back up again.  BUT THIS IS GETTING REALLY OLD...  It needs to be figured out and fixed...

I suspect these sort of issues are why there's so many flex radios hitting the market every week...  If there's going to be any sort of future this is going to need repaired once and for all... I spent a lot of years in IT and this definitely has been the most troublesome piece of software I have EVER dealt with.  and I have dealt with a LOT of troublesome software...

Erika DD
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    OK Erika well it appears you are very knowledgeable and know much more than the average ham. Hopefully you can work with Flex in helping them iron out not only your problems but help other users. 73's and 88's. Doug K9CRT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Follow the procedure outlined in the HelpDesk article How to fix SmartSDR CAT "Trial period has Expired. Program is disabled now" Errors to resolve your problem.

This issue is most likely caused by Win10 updates.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.