Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SMARTSDR BCD on a DB9

Steve Bunting
Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I would like to use BCD in Smart SDR to control my external band pass filter box. I have a FTDI cable that is terminated in a DB9. I cant find a diagram showing which DB9 pins carry the BCD data. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or do I need to determine this with a DVM?

Thanks
Steve, M0BPQ 

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Does your bandpass filter accept the DB9 connector?

Assuming it does, you could simply try it.  Configure the cable in SSDR to produce a BCD output and see what happens.  The mapping of band data to the four BCD output pins is reasonably standard.

Failing that, you can simply buzz out the DB9 connector.  Assuming the cable is configured for BCD output, select a band in the radio and note which of the pins has voltage.  Make a little map of pin voltages v. band and it will become obvious after a while.  Note that 60M doesn't map to BCD band data.

The SmartSDR User Guide has a description of the BCD band data values.

• Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Mike - i was hoping to use a cable i have in stock rather than buy more stuff to fill up my shack. :) 73 Steve
  • Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Dave, I can certainly buzz it out with my DVM but I was kinda surprised it isn't documented anywhere. I will build a breakout and post the results. 73, Steve 
  • Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Paul. [hear sound of penny dropping] I see the difference between the BIT cable and the USB-serial adapter now. I have ordered a BIT cable to test. 73! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.