Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR at 30,000ft while Dayton-Bound

K6OZY
K6OZY Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm not sure how to log contacts when I'm blazing at 500mph on my way to Dayton!  My grid square is changing too fast!

This is the best $8 spent on Wifi!   I was able to use my Flex 6700 all the way from Phoenix to Dayton flying SouthWest on my 12" MacBook with Bluetooth headphones in VMWare using the VPN method I've described in prior posts.  Imagine how good this will be when 2.0 is out and optimizations are in place!   I hope to see some of you in the FRS booth.

Comments

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I guess this is "sorta" Aeronautical Air Mobile  LOL

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    See you there - my Flex is a "frequent (virtual) flyer," too. Many good JT-mode contacts from the air. Going to try listening to FDV on tomorrow's trip.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Well wouldn't you use the transmitter location?  But pretty cool!

William
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    C U at Dayton

BTW... almost as much fun as iPad Mobile from the Shoe Store at Galeries Lafayette in Paris...

AND.. you beat my record of iPad Mobile at 11,500' 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    CQ 20 CW from 41,068 feet over NC. Too much fun. Using CWX, Parallels Access, iPad, Southwest wifi. Just because.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My test was different.  I was running SmartSDR on the airplane over a 1000ms latency link between it and the radio.  This really puts the code to its test!  You guys are remotely controlling SmartSDR running locally to the radio.  I did not expect it to work.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Haven't been too VPN-ambitious yet. Hats off for a job well done!
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Chris, I am doing a presentation on SDR for the Maricopa ham club in a couple of weeks.  I was looking for a good example of using Flex from virtually anywhere.  I am going to use your picture and quote.  Thanks!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Sure thing.  I took a few more pictures I can send if you ping me offline. mycall @ arrl dot net
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    tried it on American Flite from San Diego to Chicago

$24.95 for WIFI.  800kb/s download. 200kb/s upload

total waste of money. Performance absolutely ****.

Could not complete a QSO

did better at 11,500' 4G LTE in a private plane from Visalia.
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited May 2015
    I just got a 12" macbook, just wondering what your VM is like... Have not put anything on the macbook, was not thinking that it was robust enough to run SSDR

Thoughts?

• Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have used a 13" 2006 version Macbook (white) and presently a Macbook Air 11". The old Mabook I use bootcamp and on the 11" air I use Parallels. Both run SSDR quite well although i was surprised to actually see the old Macbook run SSDR. I use ACCESS for remote from my Ipad with my MacMini with Parallels and  the MBA.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    being a novice, excuse my question, but can openVPN be put on any computer on my LAN and then be used as the server for my Flex6700, which is on the same LAN? My goal is to be able to access my 6700 from my notebook while I am away from my QTH. I am having a difficult time learning about a VPN that will work for me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.