Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR and CESSB

Mike va3mw
Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR is the only software that actually has CESSB built in.  What that means is that you get about the equivalent of an extra 2.51db output on SSB.  

That is almost like getting 200 PEP out of your 100 watt radio.  

CESSB is some amazing math that can be read about in this QEX article.  
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2014/Nov-Dec_2014/Hershberger_QEX_11_14.pdf

I thought I would re-share this story for all the new Flex owners.

Mike va3mw

Comments

• Donovan van Loggerenberg
    edited February 2018
    Does not help CW ops... HAHAHA
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think that is why they call it CESSB and not CECW.  LOL
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    For some time now, HPSDR's PSDR mRx operating software also has CESSB built in.

Paul, W9AC
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Good to know.  I didn't know that PSDR had it installed, but I see they did that in version v3.2.21.  
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Its good to focus on the positive aspects of the product now and then. I use the graphic equalizer to flatten the response of my transmitted signal. It's amazing how many SSB signals **** much of their available power on bass frequencies. FLEX audio is superb.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Bill

CESSB processing happens in the RF section and cannot be achieved in the audio chain, just in case you are not aware.    

Using the onboard graphics equalizer is also a good exercise.   Bob Heil does a great talk on the equalization on the spoken word as examined by Bell Labs.  I should see if I can find it.

73, Mike va3mw
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    They did something to PSDR ,,but from what I have heard so far it sounds very un natural as they have it very loud,,like they are yelling at you all the time,,,not very nice for talking, very tireing.

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The issue is you have more control over the settings in OpenHPSDR. If it is set up properly, you can sound just as good, if not better, than SSDR. It is just like any other radio, the more settings you have, the more work it takes to make it sound good. On another note, my old Icom IC-781 still has more average talk power than my Flex 6500 or ANAN-100, even with CESSB enabled. Eric K2CB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Then I take it none of them have got things set properly, I listen to them talk during the week and all they talk about is how loud they can be without distortion. But the sound, is yelling, they are all the same. But it is a great feature, Flex really did a wonderful job on it,,sounds very natural.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Eric

That is interesting about the 781.  How do you measure your talk power?

Mike

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Both an oscilloscope and an average reading wattmeter. And on the air reports confirm some radios sound stronger than others for the same PEP output level. SSDR was quite anemic until CESSB became available.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I guess this is one reason why "you don't need ALC with a Flex" and it makes total sense. 
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    For us beginners, what is CESSB ?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    One of the disadvantages of having a Flex is you begin to hear how plain awful many other radios sound. 8^) 
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Tim - Thank you very much for this info.  Sometimes acronyms just puzzle me. Not sure why but I did google cessb but got nothing about radios. 
    Thanks again :-)
    Ken

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.