Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 3.0.19 - No-Go over VPN

2»

Comments

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Understand your point of view, although I have never been a fan of RDP. It's just one more Windows machine to maintain. Kind of undermines the "thin client" argument for the Flex if I need to plant an extra PC in the rack. And don't I need a VPN for a safe RDP?

I've been running LAN remote for 5+ years now - and happy to share offline how I've worked around all the "features" to make it work.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I understand that VPN usage constitutes a tiny percentage of Flex users, and I also understand that VPN is not a supported configuration. That's acceptable. Having to support VPN users would probably open a big can of worms. But I would be grateful if Flex would at least not penalize the use of a VPN for those of us so inclined, which is essentially what disabling compression does. I am still on 2.4.9, so I can't prove this, but I believe that operating using my hotspot or operating from my son's house would not be practical (or even possible) without compression enabled.

In my case using a VPN offers some advantages. Controlling my amplifier, rotator, antenna switch, and AC power relays is much simpler when they all appear to be on my LAN. No PC needed at the radio end. I don't have to fiddle with router settings or open a bunch of ports, and there are no 3rd parties to rely on. SmartLink is a laudable achievement, but in my case a VPN is a better solution.
    Doug K4DSP

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Doug, I am with you on this.  During the flex banquet, the question was asked and Eric mentioned that they are aware of this issue and are going to look into correcting the compression issue, and I think he mentioned this as well somewhere on this forum. so we can expect that to be something they will be working on.
  • Cedric HB9HFN
    Cedric HB9HFN Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm in Croatia now and i'm making a few FT8 and CW contacts over a VPN tunnel to my remote station in HB9. I need a VPN beacause i'm behind a double NAT (GSM 4G mobile network). The data bandwidth is very low and without compression it would have been impossible to make contacts.
    I hope the next version of smartSDR v2.x & v3.x will have the option to turn on comression in a LAN...

Greetings, Cedric HB9HFN
  • Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    >The audio is set to compressed only when using SmartLink. 
    >It is uncompressed when operating on a LAN (which VPN simulates). 
    >This is a change between v2 and v3.

Will this be configurable again? This way 3.x is unusable for me.

This "feature" is not described in the release notes. So it concerns a mistake.
    When is this mistake repaired?

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I can confirm that this issue was resolved with the 3.1.7 release. I am now able to operate remotely through my VPN connection on 3.1.7 as I have been on earlier 1.x and 2.x versions.

Thank you, Flex, for listening and responding to our needs!

Rick W5FCX
  • Tom - N3VM
    Tom - N3VM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi - just made a post today about a ZeroTier feature request (for Ubiquiti UniFi networking gear). Just trying to get some attention to it. If you're inclined, please vote for it. Thanks! tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.