SmartSDR 2.5?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Congratulations, Team Flex on the launch of SmartSDR 3.0. Will download instructions for SSDR 2.5.x be along shortly?
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1665 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1532 Posts
  • 763 Reply Likes
George - I think the 2.5 update was mentioned as a late in 2019 update in the v3 announcement FAQs.  So not yet, but I'm hoping it will be sooner than the end of the year.

What I gather happens is the FRS team lets the new major version "settle down" and then "backcodes" (hope that is word there!) what needs to be moved to the previous major version from the field tested new code.  Or something like that.

Steve
K9ZW

Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 129 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
@George, Version 2.5 is the next planned release. We do not have a delivery date yet. We are handling the influx in 3.0 downloads and then will get back to work. Thanks again!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
So the bug I have had to deal with in voice playing I will have to deal with for months more? However that said I was recently reminded how much better your customer service is than any other company.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 145 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
I am not buying this reasoning why 2.5 is not ready yet and I am not buying 3.0. It doesn't make any sense to me. How is this the right thing to do, lets not fix the bugs in 2.49 but just come out with 3.0 and charge $200 for it. Sorry Flex i try to be a supporter and here in Central Illinois a salesman but this just isn't right.
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 251 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
"Settle down and then back codes" sounds to me like there are a bunch of bugs that V3 purchasers are going to have the pleasure of spending $200 to chase. Anyone know how to spell Apache?
Just kidding - but there is something about this that just doesn't smell right.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3857 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
V3 is not perfectly bug free, it's software!!!  but at least their have been no critical bugs reported. And so far as I have been reading people are thrilled with it.

I think it's called Back Porting, that is how software is done to creat V2.5
It takes time.

V2.5 coming later is nothing new, it was the same when V2 came out and an update was made to clean up most important bugs in V1. And that one was several weeks later as well,,,for those that have no clue,,that is how software development works.

V3 will need to settle down first then work begins on V2.5. there are going to be many changes to V2 and I would expect that a lot of work will be needed to do it,,then much testing before release.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
No, it means that there is, as usual, a heavy customer service load from those upgrading to V.3. and figuring out how to use the new features.  Some adapt quickly.  Others need more hand-holding.  And a few will have glitches in their system that may require a little intervention to make it play nicely.  And yes, there may also be a few bugs that will show up that may not have gotten caught by the Alpha Team.

Once the smoke clears after the new release, then they will get back to work, and migrate some of the appropriate new code into V.2.5.......nothing nefarious here.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3857 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
Ken, No to what?  lol
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
@Bill-VA3WTP
Sorry, My post didn't fall in line with the ones I was responding to....Doug & Gene above, which ended with "but there is something about this that just doesn't smell right."

You would think that after all of these years of interaction on the Community I would link a name or a phrase to let people know to whom I am responding! 

(my brain must be fried trying to plan Holy Week services, retirement, buy a house, and respond to a few posts on the community at the same time.....I need a vacation.... I will get a long one in about seven weeks!)  LOL!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3857 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
Lol so Funny, Ken,,I did look back to their comments but was not sure, maybe I'm a little sleepy as well?
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Or.... if you want the new goodies pay up.  The bad taste in my mouth is getting worse.  ):
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 535 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
More like, “If you want 3rd party apps to stop working”, get v3 :-( I have to back it out because I use a Mac.
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

SSDR 2.5.x will be the most popular release.
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Not if we have to wait til the end of the year to get it.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 129 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
@Ted, many of the 3rd party apps already support v3. You can see which ones on our 'Works with Flex' page: https://www.flexradio.com/works-with-flex/
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 535 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
One is SOL if using a Mac - no DAX / CAT :-( I will just need to wait to use v3 until Mario gets the xDax / xCat upgrades in place.

In the mean time, when I am using Win10 or my iPad, I can use the “M” interface and SSDR with v3. However, my main computer interface to the radio is a Mac :-(
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
I just want the old goodies to work the way they worked in the even older goodies.
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 61 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
@Matt, you may want to recheck FRStack for the compatibility list.  I'm finding the S-meter function fails so the "Meter Level Mute" feature also fails.  I'm also seeing MOX and Tune grayed out when they are available on SSDR.
Photo of Mark - W3II

Mark - W3II

• 210 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
FRStack has not been released for V3. I am currently traveling and plan to release a V3 compatible version this weekend or earlier. I planned to have the beta out . Please stay tuned
(Edited)
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 145 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Gene everyone of the Flex owners I have talked to personally that paid $200 for the 3.0 it HAS NOT fixed the issue they and myself are having and that is when you have DAX enabled you can not use Vox. All I really got out of 2.49 was a colored s-meter and a vox that won't work. I am ready to just go back to 2.39 after all this time because of this.
Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Doug, we tested DAX and VOX prior to the release of v3.0 so we expect it to work. When you enable DAX and VOX at the same time then both DAX and the Mic should trigger PTT. If DAX is sending - then it overrides the Mic input/PTT. 

Could you describe how you are seeing this problem in v3.0? If other users are having this problem they should submit a HelpDesk ticket so that we can investigate.
Photo of FRED  W9TB

FRED W9TB

• 166 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
It does not work in 2.4.9 now if you have fixed it in 3.0  I will upgrade but not until.
I don't see any thing saying you have.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 145 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Ed I thought a couple of the guys I talked to each morning had upgraded to 3.0 but was told today that they have not. So sorry I was wrong in posting this but really there is nothing in 3.0 I can take advantage of the way I operate but the vox fix and not worth it to me I think for now after waiting for several months for a fix in 2.49 and now reading 2.5 won't be out until late 2019 I am just going to go back to 2.39. But this is one of the beauty's with Flex. Thanks for the info about 3.0 should have this corrected. 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
Re:  2.5 not being out until late 2019 and version 3 appealing to a niche and/or elite, there is a phrase called voting with your feet. Customers don't complain about a company, they just walk away and a company loses market share without know why directly.
Customers bought into Flex thinking:
1. There would be new features useful to them. Per 1.x to 2.x.
2. At the worst they wouldn't lose features. 2.39 to 2.49.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
The problem is where do you walk?  I like my flex and the people at Flex.  But updates are an issue with me. I am only running V3 to fix a bug in 2.4.9 that is huge problem with me. Only to find out I cant run CW Skimmer anymore.  So if I contest comes up I need to downgrade and then back again.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 600 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Ed has a Beta version of SDR Bridge that is due to be formally released this weekend that will cure your problem.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 881 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
The FAQ says: "Yes, we will be releasing SmartSDR v2.5 later in 2019."  Note that it says later (and not late).  Don't read too much into this.  As you are aware, our policy is not to discuss release dates for software that isn't complete.
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 147 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Thanks for the post from Dayton on Facebook announcing 2.5 Ryan Avery!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/flexr...
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1665 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes
Thanks, gang. Not quite ready for 3.0, but don’t want to miss any goodness, either!
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 620 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
  • Same here George.
  • I am waiting for v2.5 before, whether or not I move to v3.
  • So far I am pretty happy with my F-6700 and their software!
Photo of Greg SP7QJF

Greg SP7QJF

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • I am waiting for v1.12 before, whether or not I move to v3.
  • So far I am pretty happy with my F-6700 and their software!

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3549 Reply Likes
@Greg.  There are no plans to do another SmartSDR v1 release.
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
So no bugs fixes for 1.11.12.  Thats very disappointing.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3549 Reply Likes
Once a new major version has been released, we do a bug fix rollup maintenance release for the previous release.  In the case of SmartSDR v1, that was version 1.11.12.  In the case of SmartSDR v2, that will be SmartSDR v2.5.0 that will be released soon.  After that, we may decide to produce follow up maintenance releases, but in general, that occurs only when there is a critical defect with that code that would prevent the radio for operating.
Photo of Greg SP7QJF

Greg SP7QJF

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
f-6700 is useless due to DAX errors
Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 465 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I am curious as to what DAX errors you are experiencing.
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 186 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I'm curious also, since two weeks earlier he said he was happy
with the software.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 528 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Maybe he is referring to the latest Windows 10 update.  The newest windows 10 feature update 1903 messed up my DAX drivers on two different computers.  One machine took me hours to fix.  I cringe every 6 months when a Windows 10 feature update comes out. 
Photo of Ray - K6LJ

Ray - K6LJ

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hi Burch - you can find on line a youTube how to prevent upgrades from happening automatically. It is under a group policy. I only do an update when I can schedule some time of my choosing. I understand your pain.
Ray
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 528 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I work in IT and I manually updated my machines before I installed SSDR v3.  I never run automatic updates anymore.  Too many surprises.  Windows 10 updates create problems for me all the time at work.  Even though I followed Flex's procedures for Windows updates, this one messed up DAX on 2 out of 3 of my Windows 10 computers.  One was easy to fix but one took me several hours to finally get DAX working.  Not sure Flex can do much about it because I have driver issues at work when Windows 10 feature updates come out.
Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 465 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
According to Flex at Dayton V2.5 will be release Monday, May 20th.

Don - kx9q
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 954 Reply Likes
Hopefully. Once testing is complete of course.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
They did not specify the year Don?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3850 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
That is such an old sarcastic joke.
Photo of Rolf Auras

Rolf Auras

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
New software: new bugs...

Rolf
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 773 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
SmartSDR 2.5 will be release week of May 20th, along with a bug fix for v3.0, this according to what was said at Hamvention banquet on Friday night.
Photo of Gastonet

Gastonet

• 53 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
May 20th of which year?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3857 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
So there is no misunderstanding, they mean this year.