Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 2.0 WishList

Jay -- N0FB
Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
Flex Radio -- SmartSDR 2.0 WAN Wishes As the 6000 Series is to become a Radio Server, I would take this concept to the hilt in 2.0. User/Group Privileges: Administrator. Can do anything on the radio including setting up new users and setting permissions. Allocate per user the max number of active slices the user can create. Setting user schedules for use. Entering a callsign while creating a new user automatically looks up license info on FCC ULS. It then sets transmitting frequency plan based on license class. No transmitting outside of band plan. Admin can make setting changes to radio including profiles, updating radio to newer version of firmware, hardware connectivity settings, etc. Admin can define antenna selection plan based on band selected by user. HTML Admin console which show who is currently connected to the radio. Admin can remotely control operational settings, power cycle the radio, kick a user off, etc. all from a web browser. Port 8080. Operator. Can listen to any frequency the radio is capable of tuning. Can transmit on any frequency the operator has privileges license privileges or that the admin allows. Can create new slices up to the max defined by the administrator. Shortwave Listener. Can tunes do listen to any frequency but has no transmit capabilities. (My grandson would love this.) WAN Features UPNP Architecture. No specialized manual setting on router necessary to work. Radio access. 2 Methods to gain access to radio from client. Direct IP access. This method requires no FlexRadio, Inc. Server infrastructure. Use either IP6 or IP4 address or UNC. Access via FlexRadio Server Services. This free or paid service would maintain a list of every 6000 series radio the user has privileges to. The user logs into the client and is presented with a screen with every radio that he/she has privileges to. It then automatically provides the connection string to the client with the current IP address of the selected radio. A daemon would need to be running on each radio which to periodically provide its current routable IP address back to the FlexRadio, Inc. server. The admin can opt in or out of this service. This be similar to a DNS for FlexRadios. (This would be similar to authenticating into Splashtop Remote. Once logged in you see a list of all the PC's you have access to. Double clicking on the selected PC connects to that computer directly, no matter where it is located on the Internet. These are my ideas...what are yours?

Comments

• Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Greetings Jay,

After system prog/admin (30  yrs), security officer (12 yrs), Ham (57 yrs) - I will want a master switch to disable/minimize any new layers of administrative labyrinth!  But - it did occur to me that the 6xxx series is effectively an RF server! 

Aside from all the bells and weasles of SDR that appeal to me as an EE, I am keen not to put up much logical barbed-wire.

Alex/KM5YT

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I want it to receive my favorite radio station from the 60's with all my favorite DJ's and their upbeat patter.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I have a time machine I can sell you for that.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I understand Paul, and I did think about the use of this functionality in countries that don't have this information available like the FCC ULS. I'm sure that it could be programmed to be both operating country sensitive and completely overridden by the radio administrator. My ideas are just that. I'm throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks. 73. Jay - N0FB
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My one and only "must have" for v2.0 is antenna selection to be persistent again (as an option).

This used to work really well in a previous version, but FRS changed the way it works to make contesters happy and in doing so broke the logical antenna association vs bands. I want the ability to select which way it works. Currently whenever I click a cluster spot in HRD or N1MM, no matter what antenna was previously selected SSDR always switches to ANT1 regardless.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Would love to just see a few more of the basic useful features from PowerSDR come over to SmartSDR.
    And maybe a few new ones like "built in" CW decoder that would be cool.
    Update FreeDV waveform to include LSB option.

For the most part SmartSDR is Awesome!
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For me to just have the ability to save my own custom receive filter presets to the buttons would be great! And to be able to Directly enter the Filter Values via Keyboard Please.:)

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think its on a list somewhere but the idea of sharing slices from the radio is interesting.

For example I might want to listen to station using Jay's slice he let's me log into and use but transmit using my radio.  Or perhaps use his slice and mine for kind of a diversity receive.

I also might like the idea of being able to and I think Jay's points sort of cover this use a Flex remotely upon agreement with the owner.  So he could give me a login/pw I can connect control the radio just like it was mine then logout.

• Mike Aust
    Mike Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Like to see in V2.0 the ability to null Plasma TVs similar to the ANAN200D.

One on the main Antenna and other on the Noise Sense Antenna. Polar Mag/Phase

adjust to null out interference mathematically ( Auto, Manual or both )

Mike WB6DJI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.