SmartSDR 1.5 WNB - Flex 6300

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
First of all many thanks to all at Flex for this V1.5 update.  However, the new WNB at my QTH is proving far less effective.  I have an electric fencer along with two neighbors.  In V1.4.16 I could eliminate all the fencers most of the time (depending on weather) and be able to increase the clipping level all the way up to 100% without causing any splatter from nearby stations, i.e. degradation of the IM. 

Now with V1.5 there is very little difference with it either on or off and the fencers are audible all the time.  It makes very little difference when I increase the clipping level.  Not only this but there is severe splatter from stations outside of the passband when I increase the clipping level.  I have tried to work out at what level the station has to be to cause this splatter, but to date have not been able to do so. 

This was a similar problem with my FTDX5000 and up until now the Flex has been such a wonderful rig to operate in comparison, free of noise from electric fencers.  Perhaps I shall have to go back to V1.4.16, but I really don't want to have to.  I should be grateful to hear what others who have electric fencers nearby have to say.

It is almost as if the WNB is not working at all.  Should I re-install V1.5 again?  

Andy F5VAI    
Photo of Andy F5VAI

Andy F5VAI

• 26 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 423 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
This morning I had mercury vapor lights trying to go off. The new blanker didn't seem to do anything. Have played with AGC-T with no luck. Hope it's just me. Thought 1.4 had better performance too.
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Bill,

Been reading a little about mercury vapor lights. Sounds like they go through a several minute start where a little arc heats up the mercury until the main arc takes over. Does the noise decrease after the light heats up? I'm trying to figure out what the noise signature of such a light looks like.

Thanks,
Marco
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 423 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Was hearing periodic buzzes. Right at dawn. We have MV street lights. Thought maybe one was going on and off, just a guess.
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 263 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes

High Pressure Sodium not Mercury vapor light in my back yard comes on for about 15 seconds (warm-up) and noise goes away so not a real problem here.

I had mercury vapor but learned HPS are cheaper to run if you can deal with the orange light. I have a 70watt hps and give`s plenty of lighting.

The light does not pose a problem once on and going.

But I did engage just in time tonight and WNB took it right out.

Audio came through ok.

(Edited)
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Andy, 

Sorry to hear that this WNB is not working as well as the old one for you. Do you know what type of electric fence this is? Some of them put out pulses every second or two, others (older style, I believe) are more of a continuous AC output, and yet others charge a capacitor and discharge upon contact with the fence. 

Thanks,
Marco 
Photo of Andy F5VAI

Andy F5VAI

• 26 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Apologies Marco for not replying, but I have not been at home.  Today I have been doing some experiments.  I have done a factory reset but still have the WNB problem exists.  Can we communicate offline please?  I am in the process of making some videos.  My email address is andymartin@f5vai.com

Thanks,

Andy   
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 423 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
My Gardner just came by with a string edger, the WNB completely eliminated the pluse noise from the receiver. So it works impressively on strong pluse noise.
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
What would be great is a mode to capture the signature/sample of the noise source and then allow customers to upload their signatures/samples which then can be incorporated into the product... I would even pay for that!  - It would even be nicer if you can use those signatures/samples to create a custom noise source sample that then the radio adapts to - even if it only just further improves the NB.    Most of my noise sources are pretty constant.. I would assume others would say the same.  Having an ability for the algorithm to adapt to the specific noise source through a station's sample would truly make this world class NB - would revolutionize how QRM AND QRN can be eliminated.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I made a couple of youtube videos demonstrating what WNB does to my local noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPfYFx_2I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDZ--WbTXg

73  W9OY
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 268 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Lee, OBS is great. Glad to see others using it. Thanks for the videos as well. Don't feed the troll!
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 268 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Lee, OBS is great. Glad to see others using it. Thanks for the videos as well. Don't feed the troll!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1000 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Lee the only video I saw had no narration, what was the one with narration? How hard would it have been to do your video like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29&v=5XSbbZMvIbU
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 734 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
Burt, that is enough said.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1000 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Got it,no more comments on videos here.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Flexmeter was written by w3xy. denzone.com
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 693 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Corey did you get anywhere finding the Flexmeter by W3XY mentioned above....  My search engines have stalled :-)
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Larry, Www. Denzone.com. Problem is the site doesn't have a windows security certificate. So I needed to bypass my antivirus to allow it to load up, once I did it worked fine. The meter works well. Good Luck
(Edited)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 693 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
thanks Corey...  never thought to use www   Gads...  I take things so literal :-)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I added a link to the "companion"video in each youtube description, and a link to FlexMeter  Hopefully this will give the google spiders enough to go on.  I couldn't figure out how to publish HTML in youtube so the raw links are displayed.  Hopefully this will improve everybody's discoverability

73  W9OY
(Edited)
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Nope same machine as SSDR is running on - windows 10 PC
(Edited)
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1361 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Simon

Firewall issue maybe??

73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
hmm I allowed the connection .. need to investigate more ... :)
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 559 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
In some cases you have to allow both private and public through the firewall even though only one is offered as a default.

AL, K0VM
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
re-installed it in a new folder - works fine .. go figure!!
Photo of Jerry Wilk

Jerry Wilk

• 58 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
On my flex 6300 the WNB has no effect also.  Running windows 8.1
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I'm having the same issue with my 6300 I can't see or hear any difference if WNB is on or off...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8539 Posts
  • 3198 Reply Likes
Then your noise source is not highly correlated and WNB will not be effective on it.  Not all noise has the same noise signature and characteristics and one noise mitigation technique will not mitigate all noise.  It is a your mileage will vary situation.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim. I'm not giving up on trying to learn the usage of the WNB ,
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8539 Posts
  • 3198 Reply Likes
Please don't.  You never know when a well correlated noise source will appear that WNB will be very effective on.  These are all tools in the toolbox and learning which one is best to use for a particularly type of noise is important.  As my grandfather used to say, "you can't drive many nails with a hoe"
Photo of Cedric HB9HFN

Cedric HB9HFN

• 22 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Would be nice to have the old NB still useable. So we could compare both (NB & WNB) and use the one that fits better for our noise problem...

73, Cedric HB9HFN
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
(6300 still on its way) wanted to share my thoughts ... my ftdx3000 has both nb and and wnb each having its own "slider" setting. depending on the NOISE one works better than then other . I would agree having both is not a bad thing. Frankly I hope its added back with individual settings.