Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.5 WNB demo

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Here is a short demo showing how effective the new noise blanket is on some noise at my QTH. Flex has done an excellent job on the wide noise blanket! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ox89RkrUzM Dave wo2x

Comments

• Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I've been plagued by some local power line noise for about the last 6 months. In the 5 minutes I've had to try out the WNB, I'm seeing similar results.  It's so great to be able to see the signals in the waterfall again.

The regular NB helped a bit, but still left the waterfall almost a solid color.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

That is one of the most impressive demos of noise blanking I have ever seen. What type of noise were you suppressing?

Jim, k6QE

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Wow, can't wait to get home tonight and load it up. I've got a noisy light dimmer in the house - I'm feeling optimistic!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Power line primary circuit that terminates in front of my house. On warm sunny days it is bad. Gotta call power company again. Dave wo2x
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Flex is to be congratulated on such fine software development. Noise just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Seems like this might go a long way in giving ham radio back to a lot of people.

Jim, K6QE

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I can't wait to try it tonight.  80 and 160 meters are horrible at my QTH and I have been using my Flex 5000 on those bands.  It's going to be so nice to actually see signals on the panadapter on those bands again!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Very nice Dave!
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    After waiting many years to purchase a flex (with the last year I have been waiting for the NB to be enhanced) I have ordered a 6300!   I have power lines right next to my house that can not be blocked by my FTDX3000 when my beam is pointed toward them... I will post a youtube video on the 6300 results when I get the unit.  Cross my fingers it does a better job than my FTDX3k..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    For those who are going to try out the new WNB and for that matter, NR too, it is very important that you have your AGC-T set to an optimal setting before enabling the noise mitigation features.  Finding the AGC 'knee" is the first thing you should always do, regardless if you have offending noise or not.  The AGC is complimentary to both WNB and NR.  But it can be detrimental too if the threshold is set to high or too low.  There is a good explaination of how to adjust the AGC-T in the SmartSDR Software User's Guide.  I recommend giving it a read.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    That is impressive.  I hope to hear the impact for someone with electric fence issues!

Tnx
    Greg

• James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Tim, I noticed in Dave's video that the waterfall did not reflect the change with WNB engaged. Is that expected results in the display? Or does the gain settings need readjusting? James WD5GWY
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    When WNB was enabled, the waterfall turned from yellow/green and pulsing to blue and stable.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Yea. Look at the top of the waterfall when I engage WNB and it engages. Dave
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Witchcraft, I tell ya...

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Great narration so we all knew what you were doing
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    It was a quick demo just to show it in action. Feel free to do a better video with narration.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It would have taken so little to speak, your are talented, so do it right!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    I will do a better video next time I have the interference. Been cloudy and cool last few days so insulators haven't heated up. I've added a description in comments section of the YouTube video explaining how I adjusted AGC-T and WNB levels. Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.