Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.5 and FlDigi 3.23.02

Ed, K0KC
Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
I am definitely a newbie at RTTY, having only made a handful of contacts. I thought that I would give the new RTTY capability in SmartSDR 1.5 a try this morning, but I am having some problems. I do see the dual cursor in the panadapter and assume that if I double-click on the upper (mark) component of the RTTY signal, I will be aligned and will be able to talk to that station. When I do this, I do not see any change in the FlDigi waterfall however...is this correct?

Another problem is that the SQL indicator is always "pinned" at its maximum even if I reduce the DAX level to zero.

I did update FlDigi to the latest version this morning and installed Tim's new .XML files.

I can provide additional data if it is deemed relevant.

Thanks!

Ed, K0KC

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ed, did you follow the setup in my tutorial?
    If fldigi doesn't work after that, please tell me, I am 24-7-365 in learning mode... :-)

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Alex,

No, I have not looked at your tutorial, but will now search for it. I am not a newbie to FlDigi having used it for PSK31 and some ot the other digital modes such as Olivia, but somehow something is different today.

Thanks!

Ed, K0KC
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ok, I have discovered the solution to my SQL problem, but I am not sure that I understand why it works. I had set the SmartSDR filter width to 300 Hz and as expected the FlDigi waterfall displayed a blue stripe about 300 Hz wide. My dual cursor, however, was set outside of this blue stripe. When I positioned the dual cursor inside the filter bandwidth indicator (the blue stripe), the squelch seemed to operate normally.

I still do not understand why FlDigi and the panadapter are apparently not in sync.

Ed, K0KC
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    sounds like the "sweet spot" (misc tab) is not correct.
    Should be set to   2125 + (170 / 2)

This is per the most excellent aforementioned tutorial, at the bottom of the thread.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes, Fldigi needs the RTTY sweetspot set to 2210 when using the standard Mark and shift offsets of 2125 and 170 respectively.

Here is the math: Mark + (shift/2) = center of filter
    2125 + (170/2) = 2210
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Can you show me a picture?  I suspect it is because the Fldigi RTTY modem can be tuned within it's waterfall.  You may have to incorporate the <GOHOME> macro or use the QSY button to center the Fldigi RTTY modem within the passband.

And the sweetspot needs to be 2210 for a Mark/Shift of 2125/170 (see below)
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I do have my "sweet spot" set to 2210 and when I click QSY in FlDigi the two red cursors in the FlDigi waterfall move to the center of the filter (which I have set to 300 Hz). I guess I was confused because no matter where I click in the SmartSDR panadapter, nothing moves on FlDigi. I have not had a chance to test this out with a real RTTY signal yet.

Some of my confusion may be related to my inexperience with RTTY and FlDigi, but it may just be old age creeping-up on me.

Thanks to both Tims and Alex for your input.

Ed, K0KC
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ed,
      I think it operating as I would expect it..  Tuning the radio does not change the range  audio frequencies seen by Fldigi.  The center of the filter should always be 2210 if using the standard.tones.  When  click tuning in the SSDR panadapter, the FLdigi water fall stays in the same spot but the frequency scale above the water fall will change if CAT is configured correctly.

AL, K0VM
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yes, Al, the frequency in FlDigi does change when I click-tune so I guess all of this was a false alarm. Maybe my misunderstanding will help someone else.

Now to make a few RTTY contacts...guess I missed the contest this past weekend.

Thanks again to all!

Ed, K0KC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.