Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.4 rx intermittent pauses

Tim Lacy
Tim Lacy Member
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

Random, 1-5 second pauses of RX - happens every few minutes.  System is a 3 core AMD, Windows7 32 bit.  Resource monitor shows no resource contention, there is plenty of free memory, no IO or network bottlenecks.  This is on a 6300 running one slice, in DIGI-U at 14076.

This happens regardless of system activity.  It just randomly freezes, clients consuming DAX see no audio, then it starts running again.

Comments

• Rhett Aultman
    Rhett Aultman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I had this problem, too.  Did a cold boot of my 6300 and rebooted my computer; problem went away indefinitely.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

My 6500 has done this 3 or 4 times and a pc reboot solves it until next time.

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Mine JUST started doing this today. Never had it happen before and I thought maybe it was because I had moved the radio and the ethernet connection. I thought it was something I had done so nice to know it was not me. :)
  • AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ditto here, i've had these freezes with 1.4.  Not often, but when it does, the display freezes, audio stops.. everything just locks up.  Wait for 5 seconds, and it all comes back.. Not a big deal, until you're in a QSO and the other party is wondering why you aren't responding!  Happened to me just the other night.  So, this is new for me in 1.4.  My system is an Win7-64, i7 based 16 gig RAM, nvidia setup with SSD.  The system flies normally, network is GigE, so there's no reason for this to happen.
    Never saw it once with 1.3.8
    Definitely something to try and fix in the next release if it can be repro'd by engineering.
  • Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I'm have noticed a similar problem from time to time when using Remote. I have have had this using the main computer and audio from the Flex 6500.

In my case my I get a pulsing audio break up and the display gets jumpy. I do not get an actual freeze. it only last a few seconds and is very random. Happens on all bands even when not tuned to a signal.

In trying to figure out what is happening, I have found no indication of additional CPU or network resource usage.

The SmartSDR network diagnostics shows:
    - Network Status Excellent
    - Latency =1
    - Max Latency =2
    - Dropped =0

Connection used is 5ghz WiFi, no other users on my network and on other 5ghz users in my are. (I will try it with a wired gb connection when I get a chance)

Computer:  CPU  - i7 dual core
                       RAM   - 8gb
                       Video  - ATI (4gb dedicate memory)
                       OS      - Windows 8.1
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are trying to characterize this issue so I have a request.  If you are having a momentary freeze for less than 15 seconds (not a full disconnect) and you are NOT using a wireless link meaning the entire network patch is wired) please do the following and tell me if it makes a difference.  If your setup does not meet the conditions above, please hold your reports.  We need specific information to confirm a few assumptions we have on this issue.

1.) Open the DAX Control Panel and see if there are any channels enabled (button is yellow) but no slice is attached to it.

2.) If you have loaded SmartSDR on any other PC that connects to your network, DAX auto-loads at boot time.  Please check DAX on those PCs too.  You can prevent DAX and CAT from auto-loading at boot time by deleting the shortcut in the All Programs->Startup folder.  You will just have to start CAT and DAX manually usibg the program shortcut icons in All Programs->FlexRadio Systems->SmartSDR v1.4.0

3.) Let me know if you are using REMOTE audio or not.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I had DAX channel 2 opened up in the DAX control panel and it was not attached to a slice,  I turned it off and so far so good.  I will report back at the end of the day if it solved the issue.

• Tim Lacy
    Tim Lacy Member
    edited March 2017

Channel 1 enabled and attached, channel 2 disabled, no slice attached

Only one computer running SmartSDR, not installed anywhere else

I've tried REMOTE audio several days ago, but this happens when remote audio is not in use.

-T

• W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited March 2015
    I've also had these short 5-10sec freezes with 1.4 - running remote only, wireless connection to LAN. Network diagnostics similar to VE5KC, latency 1-2ms, max latency 9ms, no drops. Running fully patched WIndows 7 Professional under Bootcamp on Macbook Pro i5/8GB memory. Naturally I assumed I'd have seen latency and/or dropped packets, so either there's a different cause, or the Flex network status report isn't accurate. I've never had this short-freeze problem with my in-shack (much slower) Core2Duo/4GB Win7 Pro PC hardwired to the LAN, where 1.4 runs great - Les, W9XC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for this feedback!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Disconnect DAX channel 2 and see if that stabilizes things for you.
  • Tim Lacy
    Tim Lacy Member
    edited March 2015
    Hmm.  How do I do that?  DAX Control Panel (for Slice 2) says "Disabled", and the tooltip says "Connected to Flex-6300 blahblahblah".
  • Rhett Aultman
    Rhett Aultman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Just saw this happen a couple of times again.  Checked DAX like asked.  I have two DAX channels.  Channel 2 is off and Channel 1 is attached to a slice.  When the RX pauses, DAX shows "No Data" and the number 1 goes to yellow.

Sometimes the waterfall is freezing up and leading to a full disconnect, too.  So...guessing this is some sort of data connectivity problem?  The Ethernet line from my Flex 6300 goes straight into an Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt adapter and then into my Mac, where the interface bridged to my VMWare Fusion VM running Windows 7.  Again, this is something I saw on 1.4 but not on 1.3.8.

[EDIT] -- I tried disabling DAX 1 just now because I wasn't using anything requiring a DAX channel.  Worked good for a few minutes, and now my Flex has disconnected completely and no longer shows on the list of radios.  Rebooted the Windows 7 VM and no help there.  Rebooted the radio, and it showed up on the list eventually.

[EDIT 2] -- Even after a reboot of both the radio and the VM, drop-outs and disconnects are continuing to happen.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have not had any intermittent freezes after disabling the unused DAX 2. I will try to duplicate the issue in the next day or so to be sure that's what was causing it.
  • Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm trying to figure out what is happening with this. This is a bit long but I have spent a lot of time with the hope that the information may be of help.

I was going to test connected to the wired LAN but find my new laptop only has provision for wireless networking.

Here is some information from my further testing using WiFi.
    (My main computer, on a wired connection, has not show this problem.)

- No DAX connections
    - I reset of radio
    - Laptop was the only computer turned on for the first test.

Here is an over view of today's closer look at my problem.

It happens very quickly, lasting only a few second. It is very intermittent and may not happen for long periods of time. I can't make it happen on demand.

I have now noticed it can happen in two different ways:

1)- Audio break up (stuttering) and display is choppy. No other indications from SmartSDR.

Sometimes, I see a very slight drop in network use during the event and followed by a short increase noticed on the Windows Network monitor.

2)- At other times, when audio breaks up (stuttering) and display is choppy, I see a change on the SmartSDR network indicator (on bottom bar).

You have to watch closely to catch this - it shows reduced network signal strength quickly going to 2 yellow bars, then 1 red bar, then all gray and then reversing back through the same cycle until it is all green, again.

The audio & video breakup corrects itself, while the network indicator is still showing all gray or one red bar, long before it goes back to all green. This all happens very quickly and even when no network signal is shown, SmartSDR does not loose connection with the 6500 and keeps receiving.

In both cases, there is very little, if any, change shown in the Windows Network monitor or CPU usage. The 5g WiFi connection is solid all the time, no other users on the network or in the area. (wireless router is only about 15 ft away) The SmartSDR network indicator normally shows all bars green.

- Next test

I run SmartSDR on my main computer, connected to a wired LAN, then connected to it from laptop using TeamViewer.. To get audio on the remote PC via TeamViewer, remote was activated on the main computer.

I listened and made some test transmissions via the TeamViewer connection from the laptop.

No problems with the audio & video break up during a 1 hour plus test.. The laptop had the resources to pass everything in close to real time using TeamViewer. Of course this also meant that the desktop computer had no problems with running SmartSDR with Remote turned on.

To get a idea if this problem related only to using the Remote function on the laptop, I moved the laptop into the radio room and ran SmartSDR. This time the Remote function was not used. Of course with the audio was coming from the 6500, there was no problem with the audio. For this test, I watched for video hesitated or stuttering. None was observed during this test.

For further testing, I may have to try this with an older Laptop to compare results.

Ken - VE5KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Larry - is it still not freezing after the other DAX channel was closed?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It has not frozen at all since I closed the unused dax channel 2 yesterday. Although I was at work for 9 hours today the radio was left on since yesterday and it all seems fine still.
  • Tim Lacy
    Tim Lacy Member
    edited March 2015

Discovered yesterday that both IQ DAX channels were enabled (but not connected to any slice).  Disabled both of those, and as far as I can tell, we're happy.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have had this happen a few times.  I have been closing the DAX program on the system tray (to free up resources on my laptop) and it happens when DAX is not running.  Usually clears up after about 5 seconds or so.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Looks like we are learning what's going on
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Screen/audio freezing for a few seconds, 6500 directly connected to a Win7 64bit desktop PC (only computer being used), not using DAX, DAXIQ on left side tab has no channel selected, but Channel 1 was selected in the Slice A drop down window (only slice being used). I changed the Channel to "none" in the slice drop down menu and everything is back to normal...no freezing.  Within a few minutes of selecting Channel 1 again in the Slice A drop down box..freezing is back (still not using DAX).
  • Tim Lacy
    Tim Lacy Member
    edited March 2015

After disabling the (unused) DAX-IQ, totally stable - been running 48 hours with no apparent freezes.

• Rhett Aultman
    Rhett Aultman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I should add that I uninstalled SmartSDR 1.3.8 and, since then, have had two sessions with my Flex 6300 that were free of RX pauses.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If DAX has an enabled channel, you are using it.

And you did not describe how your PC is connected to the radio.  Is it wired or wireless?
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I never selected DAX, so I didn't know it was being used (never selected DAX at all, guess it was automatically started). The PC is wired (6 foot) to the 6500

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.