Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.4.3 & Winbook TW802 - Playtime

GarySOwnsby
GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
edited February 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Our monsoon of the last few days provided some indoor time so with my new Winbook TW802, I loaded up SmartSDR 1.4.3 and it worked surprisingly well.  The Winbook is a Windows 8.1 tablet and purrs right along with my Flex 6700.  Sitting on our upper deck remotely operating the Flex is a nice change.  Much like when we discovered wifi takes the chains off of using a computer.  More will be posted as I get more experience with this setup...but off to a good start!

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I find it a bit difficult to move within SmartSDR in the small screen of my Stream 7 Win 8.1 tablet. I use an OTG to connect the FlexControl which makes moving in the frequency easier. I have to use a bluetooth mouse to be able to use the on screen controls. The sliders are quite difficult to use with such limited screen real estate and just your fingers.

As a "scanner" station it is a delight to use. Combine a populated set of memories with your favorite nets and frequencies and it is cool to be able to listen from anywhere in and around the house. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I should also mentioned that I tried installing Windows 10 preview on the Stream 7 and it installed but I am struggling as it doesn´t recognize the touchscreen. Be warned.
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited February 2017
    I have the TW801 and hook it up to my 60" plasma with a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad.  It's amazing what can be done with these sub $100 tablets.  The keyboard/trackpad makes it far easier to manage SSDR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BALK9CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I another thread you were asking about noise patterns.

My guess is that you will not be running your radio with the plasma turned on!  They are the worst noise generators out there (generally speaking, you may have a good one).

• Steve - KD8QWT
    edited June 2015
    I did see some light noise from the plasma when the antenna was mounted on the roof directly above it, but since I moved it to another room it has been quiet.  I got the plasma before I got my license. I think I lucked out with a quiet one.  I'm even running wireless HDMI and not seeing any noise from it.

Now my 3D printer spits out more noise than plastic.  It's constantly shifting bands of noise across all the bands is truly impressive.  That is next on my list to tackle.
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I guess "plasma is as plasma does."  We have two 50 inch Panasonic plasmas in the house but I don't really detect much noise coming from them in relation to where my shack is located.  I'm 15 feet from the one in my mancave and directly under the one in the living room.  Perhaps the serious station grounding we did helped with that...who knows?  At least for now, it's not a problem.
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited June 2015
    It just proves that "always" and "never" don't apply, but that's never always the case.
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You bad!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.