Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.10.8 DAX issue maybe

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Been running 1.10.8 Beta for a bit and had no issue until the other day, I wanted to change DAX channel 2 on slice B to channel 5 and for whatever reason I could not get it to change and stay.. WSJT-X changed over but would never hear anything and everytime I checked slice B was back to channel 2 rather then channel 5 so I settled on channel 2 and left it... Now I am looking over another program, it's listening on channel 1 (DAX audio RX 1), in the DAX control panel is streaming Channel 1 on slice B as it should but I'm getting zero response from my program that it's receiving anything (MARS program).

I'm not 100% sure that the two are related but it seems odd that these two issues have just cropped up after I tried to change the origianl DAX channel for WSJT-X in the first place.

Under WSJT-X issue:
What I checked... DAX 2 on slice B
In DAX control panel RX stream 2 BLUE and shows Slice B
Tried to change it to Channel 5 would never stream and would not stay in Channel 5 in slice.

Anyone else seeing this issue?  Maybe it's just me..

Thanks

David

Answers

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    UPDATE.. so testing further, single slice, set DAX to channel 5 in slice A, DAX control pannel RX stream 5 yellow, shows "no slice" but the main window shows 5 under DAX...

Whats up with that?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    2nd UPDATE... seems since I have a FLEX 6500 I only have 4 DAX channels that are available to be used.... i.e. it works if I select DAX channel 4 but does not work if I select DAX channel 5.

Learn something new everyday..

I'm about 99% sure it used to work... why you ask.. because I have several digital programs I use, I would use a different DAX channel for each of them because then I did not have to adjust the RX Gain everytime I changed programs, FLDIGI had it's setting, WSJT-X has it's own, MARS program had one, EasyPAl had one, HRD had one, etc....

Thanks
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm having a similar issue with FLDigi with SmartSDR CAT (v1.10).  When I activate the FLDigi program my CAT window indicates the Process as FLDigi just for a few seconds, then it disappears and reverts back to (None), and I get no CAT sync.  All was working fine under v1.9.  Frustrating.

Update: I turned everything back on today and without any changes, CAT sync'ed up fine and is working with FLDigi again.  While it's great to having it working again, this problem tends to appear and disappear for me periodically.  Strange. 
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I do not know if this made a difference or not but try starting each program as Administrator...  i.e. make sure they are not running, right click DAX icon, run as admin, etc... then see how it reacts.  I tried it and not sure if that changed anything but seemed to allow me to select a different DAX channel and it stay.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Any plans for this point release to ever be GA or will the GA code be rolled it in WAN release?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I've found occasionally that I have to swear at the machine so it knows who is the boss.......
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Michael, any particular words that work better then others???
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Maybe with the 6500 you should use DAX channels 1 through 4 as the radio only supports 4 slices
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I get it and understand however that is not the point, if I have 5 or 6 different digital programs (not all running at once) and each has it's own unique RX Gain setting it means I am constantly having to readjust the RX Gain setting on one or more DAX channels to get the program to preform at optimum levels..  Not that I am using 4 channels at the same time...  An RX Gain for one program does not necessary work for others hence the reason to put them on different channels.

If I am limited to just 4 channels then remove the others in the software.  As I stated before, this used to work under older versions of SmartSDR and the DAX control panel

Thanks
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The 6500 gets 4 DAX channels according to the specs.  I don't know if that means 1-4 or any group of numbers such as 5, 6, 7, 8 as long is the count is </=4?  I suspect its 1-4...

http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/comparison-table/

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm 99% certain I used channels 5 and 6 with previous versions of DAX.. reason I say that is slice A, pull down DAX, any channel up to 8 is listed and can be selected and I'm sure I used channel 6 on slice B in the past and set the RX Gain accordingly for that program utilizing it...

I would think, the limit is the number of slicespan adapters one can have.. 2 on 6300, 4 on 6500, 8 on 6700... not on the number of DAX channels, one can and should have the ability to set ANY DAX channel one desires (up to 8) for Slice A..

Example:

WSJT-X profile:
    Slice A
    DAX channel 5 (RX Gain set of WSJT-X operation)

EME profile:
    Slice A
    DAX Channel 4 (RX Gain set for EME operation)

SAT profile:
    Slice A
    DAX Channel 3 (RX Gain set for SAT)
    Slice B
    DAX Channel 2 (RX Gain set SAT) 

HRD Profile:
    Slice A
    DAX Channel 1 (RX Gain set for HRD)

and the list could go on up to 8

Not sure what changed but I'm sure I did this before

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    We are still planning on a GA version of SmartSDR v1.10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.