Friday afternoon, I went thru the upgrade to V 2.0 with Smartlink. It went very smooth. Installed the ver 2 on my computer. Connected to the radio (6500), and of course it wanted to upgrade the radio. Pretty soon the purchase button showed up and I did that with a credit card. With the refresh, it was ready very quickly. Finally once connected with the new version, I setup the Smartlink stuff. I created a user, and configured the radio. When I tested the network, as I expected the port forwarding failed. I run a commercial type router and I expected I'd need to manually set the two ports.
I open up the router interface and forwarded port 4994 of tcp type to the radio and then 4993 of udp type to the radio. With that, the network passed. I tested it by running remote via vpn from my office and ran smartsdr from there, and it connected right up to Smartlink.
So far so good.
Then I upgraded the second radio. Same procedure and same flawless install.
The small hiccup was the port forwarding. I knew I needed to use different ports, because if I used the same ones, it would be going to the first radio.
So, I used port 4992 and 4991. But, and here is the biggie. While the traffic comes into my internet on one address, and it comes in on those second ports, and then gets forwarded to the internal ip address of the second radio, you still need to send it to the radio on port 4994 and 4993.
So on radio two, ip traffic comes in on the single Wan address for radio two, on 4992/4991, but then as it passes thru the router it gets directed to the second ip address of the radio, but it goes back to port 4994/4993. The radio only know about the two ports
Typically when you are passing port forwarding thru a router, you come in and pass thru on the same port number. In this case you don't, and need to translate back up!
Hope this may help someone else.