Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartlink unable to connect at remote sites

VE7ATJ_Don
VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have Smartlink set up on my 6500 and it works well from within my home over the WiFi.  However, when I try to connect to my rig from a remote location (On a public wifi, for instance or from my work location), I frequently get a 'Smartlink cannot connect - please retry' message.  

As far as I can tell, I'm connected to the internet, the upload and download speeds are in the 20mb/sec range and I can see the radio.

What might be causing that message?

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Sounds like the ports may not be set on your router. Check the Smartlink setup procedure. Bill VA3QB
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi Bill.. I've been through the setup procedure a couple of times and everything seems to work fine over Wi-Fi at home.  It's just when I'm attempting to connect via the internet.  What port setup are you referring to?
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ports 4493 and 4994 forwarded to your radios iP address. You should also configure your radio to a static iP address. Bill VA3QB
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Can you do this (configure the Radio to a static IP address) Bill? I thought I read somewhere where Flex (possibly Tim) said that you couldn't assign a static ip to the Flex. I hope I am wrong because a fixed IP address would solve an intermittent disconnect problem I am experiencing on occasions. Winston
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am not sure about how it would relate to the ports, but you can definitely assign a fixed IP address.  Now that I have resolved some issues I had having two routers, however, I haven't needed too and rarely have any issues.  But I'm not to the point of trying to access remotely.
    73, Happy New Year
    Bob
    WK2Y
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I let the radio pick its own iP address then I tell the router to reserve the iP address. This way it uses the same iP address each time and allows you to configure the ports appropriately. Bill VA3QB
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi Tim... thanks.  I took a look there and followed the instructions.  According to the Smartlink 'test', everything comes back green (very quickly) and it looks like things should work, but when I try to connect - either via a regular or low bandwidth connection - it sits for a few seconds and then comes back with the 'unable to connect' message.

The router at my home is one supplied by the internet vendor, so I'm not really comfortable going in an making manual port routing assignment changes.  I was hoping the 'automatic' settings described in the SmartLink docs would work.

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    First rule of thumb.... Rip out any ISP provided router. Ask your ISP to take the router out of the equation. There are many good routers for the home market. Dlink, Tplink and Net gear. Make sure you buy the router before bypassing your ISP router. If you need help setting up a new router we can do it via email. 73 Bill VA3QB
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the advice, Bill, but it's not going to be that easy.  In my home, because of the configuration of my heating ducts, etc. the ISP has had to build in branches and boosters to get everything to work on a regular basis.  So, it's not as easy as simply replacing one router, and I'm afraid I don't have the technical skills to get into replacing the network they've set up.

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You could add a second router to the modem.  Just not sure on how you would do it ...  Your setup sounds complicated.  It sounds like your running everything wifi so the need for boosters.  I run nothing for hamradio on wifi. 

Oh well good luck. 

Bill
    VA3QB 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    You. Can try leaving the vendor router in place, then log into the. second router and see if there is an option to set it as an access point. This way you are not double NATing. Which is most likely keeping it from working. I do it here with a pair of Asus routers. Dave wo2x
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    And do make sure you set it as an access point (disabling DHCP) with same SSID as the rest of network.  For the longest time, I had no end to grief with unable to connect and dropped connections because I hadn't done that. Basically it resulted in two different networks that didn't communicate well.  I also have an ASUS router and it is easy to set up as an access point(one click.)  My main router is IQRouter which has been fantastic(amazing increase in speed), but it is connected directly to the cable modem. I don't think you can use it in this instance.
    73, Bob WK2Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.