Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink service needs to be more robust

2»

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

If "the net" is broke, it's broke.

Affected a lot more than SmartLink.  Microsoft lost parts of their Office 365 and other cloud services for some clients. 

As a reminder it is possible to run your shack remotely WITHOUT SmartLink.  Many did this with various VPN setups long before SmartLink.

It is of course possible to break those too - whether the individual VPN or overall connectivity.

Even with SmartLink mostly being up I've kept my Raspberry-Pi based VPN system on the ready. 

This may be a useful idea for those of us who really would be put out by other outages.   

Additionally redundant options might appeal (I know I like to have options.)

While we think of redundancy, it is a good time to think of what happens when the mains power goes down, and if we have enough "shack spares" on hand to bridge a critical failure?

I know I have been a bit lazy on sorting some of these items out. 

While a person may not need a hot-swappable shack with full backups, it might be a good idea to have a "Plan B" configuration if items go down or need to be taken offline for service.

Great thoughts Tilman SM0JZT and everyone else.  I know you made me think about how robust I have my end setup and what my fallback alternatives are.

Steve
    K9ZW

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    When I first experienced the outage and thought about it I thought, well no big deal and like some have commented, this is a hobby and a little potential inconvenient is nothing important.  However, after reflecting a little more, I have slightly changed my views.  Although ham radio is primarily a hobby and not a necessity, there are times when it is critical for the community.  My club for example has a very active RACES Group and is a significant component of the county emergency services plan.  It occurred to me that remote access to Flex equipment could be very important in an emergency.  It is something that communities around the world depend on.  Just a thought that Flex may want to factor into their approach for remote access and support.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Thanks guys for all your opinions.  I know your thoughts will be reviewed.

One last thing, and that is if your remote operation is mission critical for what every reason, you do need to ensure that you personally limit your single points of failures.  Every remote operator goes through this.   In this case, having a Softether VPN in place might not be a bad Plan B.

Again, thanks for all your comments.

Mike 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.