Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink Relocation

Brent Parker
Brent Parker Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

If one is moving one's FlexRadio, that is already registered (at home), to a different location (club), and presuming the clubs router responds to UPnP, do you just move it and turn it on.

Or, must you access it locally at the new location, de-register the radio and then re-register the radio, so the cloud servers know it's new location (IP address)?

Answers

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It needs to be unregistered and then registered at the new location.  When you move the radio, it is going to be seen as running under a different IP address and possibly port number.  That information has to be refreshed, if you are going to use SmartLink.

At the new location you may not have UPnP available, so you may have to set up port forwarding manually.
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Thanks Dave,

I suspected as much. Just didn't know if it was dynamic, like some ddns services, of if it was a one time "set it". As you have to click the mic, for security, I suspected it was de-register and re-register process.

Yea, I've done the manual router thing, as I have two radios and a commercial type router that does not do the UpnP service.

Thanks Again,

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I 'think' you just need to power cycle the radio.  There is no need to re-register the radio as long as you log in on the same SL account.  I'll leave some room for Tim to correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I say this is that over the weekend, I had a total and 100% firewall meltdown requiring it to be rebuilt from scratch.  During that period, my WAN IP address changed.

Essentially SL came back online the next time I powercycled the radio.

If you un-register, then you will need to PTT register again.

Mike va3mw

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Interesting Mike.

I'm going to take the radio over to a club on Friday. I'll fire it up there and see if it works first, before I de-register and post it back here.

73  Brent W8XG

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    I am afraid this comment is incorrect.  See below for details.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    That could be.  It may be that the radio checks in with the server at startup, and if the IP address is different, it is simply updated in the server.  However, if the external port numbers were changed and UPnP were not being used, the radio probably wouldn't know about that, so it would probably be necessary to update the port numbers on the config screen and "save" them again.  Very little has been said about the details of this algorithm, so we're discovering them one at a time.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    S'ok, I don't bat 1000 either.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    Brent - a radio is registered with a SmartLink account and that is independent of where it is located geographically.  However, there is a radio network configuration concern that has to be taken into account.

When the radio is moved to a different location and powered up, the radio, assuming that the router configuration is the same (UPnP or static port forwarding), the radio will contact the SmartLink server and inform it of its new public IP address, port information and you are good to go.

Now if the router's network configuration at the new location is different from that of the original location, then once you log in to your SmartLink account using a client on the local LAN, you will need to change the network configuration on the radio to match the new router's configuration.

So in your example you proposed, you would not have to re-register the radio or change the network configuration because the original and new router are both UPnP configured.

I'd bring a lap top with SmartSDR loaded on it to the club just in case you need to change the radio's network configuration.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    :-)
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I'm running into a similar issue.  I decided to swap the locations of my 6300 and 6700.  SmartLink client's are showing one set of UDP/TCP ports for connecting (to correct IP), yet the UPnP ports being defined for NAT rules in the firewall don't match.  This appears to be preventing traffic from passing. 

What iOS SmartLink clients show on both iPhone and iPad:

UDP:  21993   TCP:  21994

What is shown in modem NAT as a result of 6700 registration via uPnP:

I suppose I could manually remap the ports to what SmartLink says they should be externally, but based on this post that shouldn't be required at all.  What's wrong?

Rick
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I added the manual remappings and now it works.  Something is amiss in SmartLink not recognizing that the radio ports changed or not correctly following the UPnP settings created in the router/firewall by the 6700.

Here's the new mappings (i added the ones marked "custom").

Don't know why the router re-ranged the target ports (another bug probably because that's not what I entered, but it's working)

Looks like a bug in 2.0.19 (didn't see this issue before upgrading from 2.0.17 to .19)
    Rick, W5FCX
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Alright.  This was my fault and not a bug...  At some point I had changed the settings on SmartLink Setup (in Windows) from Auto mode to Manual mode, which is why the automatically chosen settings did not work.  That's now fixed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.