Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink & Port Forwarding

I'm having issues similar to Andrew Thall, but didn't want to cloud his thread with responses to my question, so started a separate conversation.

My ISP is AT&T uVerse.  The Router/Modem is an ARRIS Model NVG589.

This router does not appear (that I can find) to have uPnP.  The "Automatic" "Test" under "Network Settings" on my Maestro fail.  So I tried to do port forwarding to the IP address shown of TCP and UDP to ports 4994 & 4993 respectively.  Still showing a failure.

I have done port forwarding for other devices on this router multiple times and have had no issues.

Does anyone have any experience with AT&T uVerse routers that could give me some ideas of where to turn?

Answers

• Thomas Dias
    Thomas Dias Member
    edited July 2017
    we have problem to first Registration Smarlink, sho message PTT Timeout.

imageimage
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    @Steve N4TTY The AT&T Arris NVG589 setup is two parts. Presume you can get into it, get to the NAT area as there I created: SmartSDR SmartLink TCP using the TCP Port SmartLink suggested (4993) And SmartSDR SmartLink UDP using the UDP Port SmartLink suggested (4994) That is Phase One Then return to the main NAT area and assign these two new port forwarding to the internal network address SmartLink suggests. The modem adds all sorts of unknown jibberish after the numerical network address. Do this for both the TCP and UDP port forwarding you created. In my case it was something like http//10.10.1.222/unknown45467yu3677 or some such nonsense. That is the often forgotten Phase Two. Recheck your test SmartLink and the UPnP will fail but the manual port forwarding should work if you put the ports in and saved them there already in SmartLink setup. I just set one up this afternoon, so feel free to email me if you need more help. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    I got it Steve!  I was OK on the router side, but on the Maestro I did not put in the port numbers.  Just left the "-1" numbers in place.  Once I put in the 4994 & 4993 numbers on the left hand side all worked good.

Now to go somewhere remote and give it a try!

Thanks!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @Thomas Check out https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/blocked-out-2m16vwikhqnk7 As you have to key the radio physically to prove you have it in your control. If you get this before you even try, then I'd open a HelpTicket. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    AT&T uVerse Pace 5268AC FXN Gateway Configuration for SmartLink

I'm on AT&T uVerse too with a full gigabit fiber connection in Austin, Texas. However, my gateway is a Pace 5268AC FXN. Arris merged into Pace a while back. Here is the manual for the DSL version; I doubt there is any difference other than the physical media access method on the AT&T side:

https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2267100~5694a5d84811c1255c4f12556de77ead/5268AC%20Manual.pdf

SmarkLink automatic gives a red light so I assume UPnP is not available on this gatewary, and I find none in the manual or within the gateway's screens. This implies a manual setup. The information in this chain is helpful, but before I start hacking the gateway I'd like to hear from someone with experience and suggestions on the device.

Thanks,

--Jim
    W5HFS

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

https://portforward.com/pace-plc/5268ac/ is your reference.

Similar to the UVerse Arris in the steps.

Hope it helps!

Steve K9ZW

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm a bit different. I'm on AT&T 4G service with a hotspot/router (DC112A and Unite Pro). I generally don't have any issues as I get 20 Mbps up and 10 or so down. Expensive! But it is all I have in the sticks.

However, I seem to be experiencing the same problem mentioned here. There is a UPnP section on my router and it is enabled but the table never populates. I turned that off and tried to set up port forwarding manually but still I get the meatball (failed test). Is there anything I can grab from this tread that might help or is my service totally different?

Kev K4VD
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Kev, my issue was caused by mis-understanding the setup of the port forwarding on the Smartlink side. Not sure if I missed something in the documentation, or whether the instructions I did look at assumed that I knew what the heck I was doing. After I figured out it was my problem and I had gotten things working, I didn't go back and check to see if I had just missed the item that turned out to be my problem. It wasn't broken anymore so I just went merrily along. As it turns out Ernest in FL had very similar issues but we were able to get him going as well.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm dreading the thought that I'm a special case and SmartLink won't work in my situation. Not knowing anything about UPnP I wonder if there's tests I could run or maybe another simple device I can add to the network that also uses UPnP to see how that works out. Still, I thought manual port forwarding would work.

I'll keep following the various posts. I have a ticket in and Tim's been in contact. I love it out here in the country except for one thing... no good Internet options.

Kev K4VD
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Kev, I also have a Netgear dc112a at my remote site and I am having the same problem with upnp. It's definitely activated in the router setup but not passing the required ports through. I ran out of time on Friday to setup Port Forwarding or check the Firewall, however I will be going back on Monday or Tuesday (our time) and I'll let you know how I get on. Perhaps you could reciprocate if, in the meantime, you find a solution. If you do reply, would you mind also sending a copy to "winston dot henry at bigpond dot com" or a text message to +61419571383, as I am still plodding through a backlog of over 800 posts I have yet to read, and could easily miss your post amongst the forest. I really do pickup a great deal of information from so many helpful posters and I would also like to add my name to the vote of thanks to everyone at Flex and all the volunteers, with a special mention of Tim, Ria, Michael and Dave. Best 73 Winston
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Winston, I'm running a NETGEAR DC111 gateway, feeding a a NETGEAR R6400 wireless router, and I know that the DC111 UPNP doesn't work. You'll need to set up manual port forwarding I suspect. Once I got that accomplished with help from Tony, VK5TT, everything works fine.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2017
    Winston, replied directly. No solution here yet but I will share if I find anything.

Rick, I'm not familiar with the DC111. Same as the DC112? It is a cradle for a Unite Pro 4G hot spot? Or is it something else?

I tried manual port forwarding on the DC112 but still get the meatball. So far I'm figuring out it is probably not the device but the network (ATT wireless) causing the issue. I've also seen reports of similar problems on other wireless networks affecting gamers who use port forwarding.

If you are using a 4G cradle (DC111?) and a router inside your network that is somehow successful at doing the port forwarding then I'll definitely give that a shot. Just want to make sure we are talking similar situations.

Kev K4VD
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Trying to get Smart Link to work here, in manual mode as automatic did fail as expected. I have done the port forwarding on my router at the radio. If I use my laptop for ciient through my 4g phone, I do see my radio, but unable to get "green light". Am I correct that port 4993 (UDP) and 4994 (TCP) needs to be opened at both ends? That would explain why my attepmt to connect through my neighbours guest net did not provide "green light" either. Or do this indicate I have other issues at the radio end?

Glad my VPN do work through the 4G phone though.

/Lasse SM5GLC
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Sorry, I misremembered the model number. What I have is a 'simple' DM111 ADSL modem/router. Getting it to do the port forwarding was anything but... Good luck with the other unit. I'm sure it's possible, but I guess My experience is of no use in this instance.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Rick. I was thinking we were on different networks but hopeful!

Kev K4VD

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Update... I just got off the phone with AT&T again. They say no port forwarding and no inbound connections. They say all wireless carriers do the same. This was the fourth tech I spoke with and the one most convincing as he seemed to understand exactly what I was trying to do.

So now I need to look for some sort of alternative that can be used on 4G. Maybe there's a VPN or proxy vendor out there that can support port forwarding across a tunnel? I'm thinking I open a connection to the VPN vendor (so no inbound connections) then the port forwarding takes place within the tunnel.

I use this 4G hotspot for my work VPN and it does a great job. I get all sorts of pushed or inbound connections without any troubles because I think it all happens within the tunnel.

The investigation continues. Looking forward to any ideas to get this working. It seems I'm not the only one in this situation.

Kev K4VD
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Update:
    I must have had conflicting rules in my router, as when I moved the port forwarding for 4993 and 4994 to the top of the list, it suddenly came to life. I could now log into my neighbours guestnet and access my radio, but with a staggering 7500ms peak latency. But it kept on working!!

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Kevin and others. I am sorry for the delay in responding. I have made some progress with the Netgear 790 Hotspot and DC112a AirCradle but have not yet been able to get SmartLink to pass the connection test, however I still am hoping that this is possible. This is where I am at. I explained the problem to my Telco provider who seemed willing to help, and arrangements were made for me to take both items into their office for their technician to look into the problem. In brief, the findings were: 1) I had setup the UPnP and Port Forwarding in the router. I was told these must be setup in the Modem, not the Router 2) Initially, Port Forwarding was setup in the Modem but for some reason the two ports could not be opened, however when UPnP was setup in the Modem, both ports were visibile. Unfortunately time did not permit any further investigation. The next step is for me to see if I can get SmartLink to work with the UPnP turned on in the Modem and the Router setup in Bridge mode connected to the 6700. I should get a chance to do this over the next couple of days. One further question I have is this: I do NOT have a 4G Public IP address and my current supplier tells me that they cannot supply me one. Is a Public IP address a prerequisite for SmartLink to work? Both Teamviewer and Parallels Access will negotiate a connection, so I am assuming the SmartLink can also do this. Or am I wasting my trying anything further until I can obtain a Public IP address? I would be grateful for ANY help that might be forthcoming. Thanks Winston
  • Tom WM0L
    Tom WM0L Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I use 4G wireless at my location. The ISP is Viaero Wireless. I am located in Nebraska. Standard end user ports are all closed inbound. However, I did get them to set me up with a static up which would make you visible on public side of up. You will then be able to open up you inbound ports to router. Tom, WM0L
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Like Tom, I am also on a 4G wireless system. I did get them to give me a static IP, which is also public, and allows me to open ports. They charged me $12/month for this. Also, this feature was not available on their residential plans, just their business plans, which were priced the same ... I said change me over and all is good now.
    Doug
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    Doug:

What system? AT&T? (please!) 

Kev

• Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    No ... I am up in Nova Scotia, on a Rogers Rocket Hub.
    Till January, then in Florida, but the radio itself stays here.
    Doug
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited May 2020
    Why can someone connect to my hotspot network using tools like Teamviewer and others but they can't using SmartLink. What is it that Teamviewer does to open an inbound connection that SmartLink is not able to do?

Just thinking out loud.

Here's a link some may find useful: http://www.canyouseeme.org/

It allows you to check inbound connections to certain ports. It looks like it can check only TCP ports but at least that's something to help troubleshooting.

Kev
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    After spending a couple of hours on the phone, AT&T says they can give me a static IP address but can't promise port forwarding or my specific application will work.

To get the static IP address I would have to convert from a residential to a business customer. The difference in price is an additional $80/month ($300/month) estimated. I wanted to get into more details about the differences in the two services but apparently the business office simply shuts down at 4PM. But they look forward to answering my questions later.

I'll try again Monday.

The VPN solution is still a possibility but I have nothing to terminate the VPN on this end. I could probably figure out the Rasp-Pi stuff but I really want this to be simple. I understand some routers can terminate a VPN directly, particularly routers with DD-WRT code. I'm thinking if I can set up a VPN between me and a host that has true Internet access then I could port forward though the tunnel.

The other thought is that Flex might look into supportable alternatives for network restrictions such as this.

I can successfully run VPNs to my office (free to me). I can get Hangouts and other IM clients to work (free). I can work with TeamViewer inbound and outbound connections (free). Dell has logged into my computer remotely for support (free). But I can't get SmartLink to work ($200). Grrrr.

Kev K4VD

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    "They say no port forwarding and no inbound connections. They say all wireless carriers do the same." 

This doesn't seem to be accurate - I can connect using Verizon smartphone as a hotspot.

If one has IP cameras will AT%T (and others) "block"  web-access  to the IPC? That would be pretty lame.

Dynamic IP for the  6500 .   When connecting  via Smartlink on Maestro, the routable IP address of the radio is displayed.  It can move around and not be a concern.

Hope you can sort this out.  Maybe when 5G is deployed the competition will help.

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    It appears to be the case on AT&T for a remote connection to anything in a residence: cameras, game playing, Flex radios. It seems to be a common issue in various forums. If I were a gamer or had some other internal service I probably would have been prepared for this. No inbound connections. Some services may have different ways of connecting similar to the TeamViewer example. You connect through a service that the other device connected to. Maybe. All guesswork on my part.

ATT claims all wireless vendors do this. I can't tell of course. Your radio is on the hotspot or your client is on the hotspot?

The radio has an address reserved in DHCP so it's technically assigned as dynamic but it always gets the same internal IP. The static IP I'm looking for would be assigned to my router's WAN interface and  hopefully bypass whatever AT&T has in the middle that acts as a proxy (web page optimization) and an additional NAT in the path. Today I found out that my external IP address on whatismyip.com is different than what Google thinks it is. Scary.

I really need a real ISP to set up shop in this area and get off wireless altogether but that's not going to happen.

Kev

• Tom WM0L
    Tom WM0L Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I use 4G wireless at my location. The ISP is Viaero Wireless. I am located in Nebraska. Standard end user ports are all closed inbound. I am also double NAT'ed. However, I did get them to set me up with a static up which would make you visible on public side of up. You will then be able to open up you inbound ports to router.
    Tom, WM0L
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks, Steve. I was successful in hacking through the gateway and by manually configuring everything is working great. -- Jim

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    TeamViewer does not use point-to-point connections; it uses a server in the middle to facilitate the point-to-point connection and throughput performance is dependent on the Internet bandwidth and resource capacity of that server.  SmartLink does not use that architecture but relies on a point-to-point connection for the highest possible throughput performance.

With "multiple" NATs between your up stream router that has a public IP address on it and your last router doing NAT, you cannot use UPnP because it relies on a multicast "broadcast" mechanism to work.  You can do cascading manual port forwarding assuming that none of the routers or your radio changes their "WAN" IP addresses.

If you cannot facilitate having port forwarding configured on the upstream router to allow the 4992/tcp and 4993/udp data streams to access the radio, then, unfortunately, there is little recourse you have.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    It would be nice if this limitation was stated clearly in the product literature so that people on alternative networks could decide whether $200 is worth spending on pop-out windows alone. What might also work is to have some sort of tool to test for potential problems prior to purchase.

Not a single alpha tester ever tried this on anything other than cable and fiber?

Kev

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.