Smartlink, N1MM+ and CW

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I have several setup questions about using SmartLink with N1MM+ and CW in a contest. 

Assume a Flex 6500 at a remote site with big antennas.  The remote site also has a computer.

Assume two remote operators at different locations contesting tag-team style.  Each connects when it is their turn to the transmitting Flex with SmartLink and SmartSDR.

Should N1MM+ be running on the computer at the transmit site?
Should N1MM+ key the Flex 6500 directly or through a port created with SmartSDR CAT?
Do the operators log contacts using N1MM+  and TeamViewer at the transmit site or on their own computers?
Must all CW send by the operators be via keyboard or is there a way to use a paddle? 
What have I for gotten to ask?

Thanks in advance,
John K1ESE
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
  • curious

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 411 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
I am surprised there hasn't been another response before this.

For openers:  There can be only one operator on a radio (Multi-op a future feature); also N1MM+ only supports one operator; so the following will be for a single op station.

N1MM is at your operating location(remote or local) and runs through SmartCAT (Using several port setting)
N1MM function keys work  e.g. F1=RUN CQ
A paddle may be used but (currently) only plugged into a Maestro or locally into the 6000
Logging is on the operating station (local or remote) N1MM

BUT: You will not hear the function key CW send (unless local and plugged into the 6000 itself),
been that way since Beta_V1.0.24 which messes up CW contesting with a rack mounted 6700.
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Glad to get some response.  Thank you.

There would only be one operator at a time but under contest rules that is a multi-op station.

The rest of the information is very helpful.

The inability to hear side tone would be a real handicap.  Does that also apply if the operator at home is using a Maestro?

John K1ESE
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 411 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
When keying via the Maestro (local or remote) there will be a side-tone, but not when the computer (N1MM) is keying.
That is unless the phones/speaker is connected directly to the 6000
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
OK, got it.  

That seems like a serious flaw for CW contesting.  Maybe I'm just not used to it and I could adapt. 

I really appreciate the information.  Thanks!
Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP, Elmer

• 179 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have been doing remote Contesting for three years now with a 6700 and no PC located att a small island.
Att my city QTH I have a PC wit N1MM or Writelog and a Maestro. When I work cw contest I can hear CW sidetone through the Remote Rig rig 1258 boxes which also have a built in Winkeyer. One box doing the cw keying through a keying Line to the 6700 and another box at city PC and Contest logger program.
This is the only way to do it in a simple way. No remote PC or team viewer sessions that would not be feasible with a 4G mobile network that gets overloaded at weekends with all "Netflix" users logging in.
My set up have worked flawlessly last 8 years after having got broadband Dsl and then 4G mobile service. The key is : "KISS...keep it simple...". 73 Kari SM0HRP
See more att http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se.
(Edited)
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
We have a set of local and remote Remote Rig boxes.  They are for a K3.  I assumed that they were radio specific.  If they can be used with the Flex, that would be an easier solution.  For the second operator and a different location, we would need one more Remote Rig box I would guess.

Do you still use SmartSDR and Smartlink?  Do the Remote Rig boxes just do the I/O?  Do the Remote Rig boxes replace SmartLink?

Thanks in advance,
John K1ESE 

• 179 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi John, well I made it simple and only use the Remote Rig boxes for the CW keying. So I still use SmartLink CAT for connecting home PC VSP to the RRC1258 controll box. And I use the Maestro for SO2R with either N1MM or WriteLog. See configuration here (I used the Kenwood rig mode but it does not matter for only CW keying): http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/2018/02/04/how-to-add-remote-contest-capability-to-flex-6000...
I plan to use the RRC boxes to compress the DAX channel when I work FT8 as it consumes so much bandwidth from my 4G mobile data plan (ca 1 GB per hour). I saw someone who had done this already on the RRC forum. 
I think we worked in some of the recent contests (CQ WW 160?) ..:) 73s  
(Edited)
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 93 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
In my log I see we worked during ARRL DX CW 2016 and 2017, as well as IARU 2016.  I may also have worked you as W1HIS or W1OO, contest calls.

I will study the information on the web page.  

Many thanks,
John K1ESE

• 179 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Oh how nice. Your call in CW is easy to remember and requires some extra copying to get it right during QSB and QRM :) . GL with the implementation and see you in the contests. 
73s