Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SMARTLINK...MINUMUM 1.5 mbps Uplink

Dave - WB5NHL
Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
"minimum upstream bandwidth of 1.5Mbps"   Anybody checked hotels or Starbucks recently for 1.5Mbps uplink???  Ooops!   No spec on latency???

Answers

• lyndy brannen
    lyndy brannen Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Won't come close to working on my DSL.
    Guess I need to quit waiting and set up VPN again.

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I don't know the exact figure, but latency on my LAN between my Maestro & the radio is pretty good. I would expect v2 to continue that.

How do you go about spec'ing latency on a WAN when the performance of the "middle" of the network is unknown? 

That is the very definition of "your mileage may vary".

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    In front of Starbucks now. 32.5 Mbps down, 1.7 Mbps up. Ping time 11ms. Easily connected to my VPN.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Eric, thank you for the clarification
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's better than I expected with the average customer checking email or surfing
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Second location, from the parking lot (busy shop): 14.6 down, 10.0 up. I think we're going to be fine.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    No problem.  :)
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    1.5 mbps for full featured run is less than I had expected. Luckily I have many times this available at each QTH and at work. Looking good!! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Well it's going to be a rough go for me, 7 down .5 up with 21ms ping.
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For marginal situations, hopefully there will be options to shut down unnecessary loads, like waterfalls and panadapters, to lessen the bitrate without impacting the actual receive/transmit communication functions.  
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    You can already throttle those controls with the FPS and Rate controls on the Panadapter and Waterfall respectively.  We will likely be able to improve on the current bandwidth used as well.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    With my VPN connection, the Waterfall Rate is one of my biggest bandwidth savings, except for running several DAX Channels. Turn off DAX, turn waterfall rate to zero, and you can do remote with a lot less than 1.5 Mb. More savings are had by turning down the display FPS, and by making the display more narrow.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have turned off the panadapter and waterfall and left just audio and gotten the audio bandwidth down to a couple hundred kBit/s. So yes, it's possible. I've even used my radio on 6/1 wifi in Buenos Aires and it only began to stutter when I cranked the panafall all the way up.

Ria
  • Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Same with my DSL.
  • Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You beat my DSL for both up and down.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Q: To run the Smartlink s/w it seems like it'll be easy to set up. The setup here has a router at the cable modem with a firewall enabled. If the 6x00 radio IP (192.1.168..) address is set into the DMZ and one knows the (route-able) address of the cable modem will that be enough to connect via Maestro? 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The idea of this is that everything will be automatic and in most cases you won't have to mess with your router. So if your router is fairly modern, there is a chance you won't have to do anything other than run the SmartLink setup. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2017

With SmartLink (V2.x SmartSDR) you do not have to move your radio into the router DMZ.

If your router supports uPNP you just need to make sure that is enabled. Otherwise you can port forward two ports to the radio. (you can assign a static IP to the radio)

Dave wo2x

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hmmmmm.. uPNP. I should have guessed that. Not one of my favorite protocols. I'll be most interested to see the authentication that's used by the radio. Perhaps Flex will publish something about the security and authentication details so we can all review it and feel happy. Er, happier. Peter K1PGV
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2017
    In place of uPNP you can forward two ports to the radio. Dave wo2x
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    And that's almost certainly what they have uPNP doing for you automagically. Doing it manually is explicit, and under our control. And for those of us who might be paranoid, be extra security conscious, involved in computer networking, have an unspecified hatred of uPNP, or any combination of all four of those. Nice... this gives us ultimate control. I'm going to shut up now. I don't want to turn the well justified celebration over WAN access into a geeky debate over the wisdom of enabling some LAN network protocol most people have never heard of. Peter K1PGV
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you Ria and Dave for the response. I have enabled uPNP in the router in anticipation of the s/w release.

Setting: Block WAN Request 
    "When enabled, shuts down outbound ICMP and abnormal packet responses in connection. Default value is enabled, which prevents users from pinging the WAN IP from outside the network"

is enabled; will be cognizant of when the time comes.

Many Thanks for the expert advice!

k3Tim / 6

PS: I have heard of PNP transistors but prefer NPN   :)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2017
    You can leave Block WAN requests checked. No need to have people outside your network pinging your router

Dave wo2x

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Thanks Dave! 

Tim
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Easy to check latency wherever you have internet access:
    Go to dslreports.com and use their tool. That will test upload, download and latency with ease.
    73 de Arnie W8DU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.