Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink Behind Misbehaved ISP

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
I have been reading the threads about Smartlink connectivity problems and the fixes along with some of the details.  Two Q's.

On one remote adventure the radio was discovered and would connect to, but no audio or panfall. The ISP acts as a LAN meaning the radio had a 192.168.1.x address so was unrouteable. It seems odd the connection got that far. The connectie was Maestro.  In this same house, an IoT thermostat is accessible on the web. Q: would the ISP have to issue a routable address (hopefully non-static is okay) and allow the tcp/UDP thru?

On another adventure, a business allows guest WiFi access but does greatly restrict access. The SDR was discoverable but no indication of a connection was ever seen on a PC. Does this mean they were likely blocking the TCP/UDP ports?

I am guessing that Maestro looks like it got further under these circumstances but that is only because Meastro is doing what Maestro does, ie. it's an embedded app and the display would naturally enter the partial start state.

Thanks for any Insight 

Tim - k3Tim/6 

Answers

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I don't know if this relates to your issues, but I am having trouble connecting the Maestro to wifi access points that use Radius-style authentication -- i.e., that require both a username and password to authenticate.  There also may be a problem with sites that give you a "captive portal" page where you need to agree to the legal terms before gaining access.  

I'm having trouble connecting through "xfinitywifi" access points, for example. (Comcast)

What types of wifi services are supposed to be supported by Maestro?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    Maestro only supports using a PSK (pre-shared key) for personal WPA and WPA2 authentication.  WPA enterprise using 802.1x RADIUS authentication is not supported.

A captive portal is a little different in that the device must display a web page for entering access credentials, regardless if the backend authentication uses a PSK or 802.1x mechanism.  We plan to support wifi access via a captive portal with Maestro in a future release of SmartSDR.
  • Kev
    Kev Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Be careful it may not work with all ISP's check your ISP supports the way flex have implemented their software as you may end up with a radio and no real time or waterfall display.  A number of people have had this problem with V2 and smartlink including me.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Not really helpful. I see your post on the other thread about Spectrum ISP not working. I have Spectrum and it does work fine with V2 / SSDR and Maestro. They all work on Verizon with device in Hot Spot mode. That's always a fall back position. 

This particular ISP is handing out non-routable addresses so the device is on a subnet that  doesn't route back except for HTML and Port 80.  
    No matter as this was only during a visit. At home Spectrum ISP is A-OK.   No matter as 5G is around the corner.

Thanks,
    Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.