Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink and DMZ

wb5nfc
wb5nfc Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've been fighting this battle ever since my new 6400 arrived...I've done as much Googling/reading as I can find in other threads (the SmartLink & Port Forwarding discussion was REALLY helpful).
Here's the deal: I tried all the 'Automatic' and 'Manual Port Forwarding suggestions, but couldn't get the "button" to go green in the 'Network Settings Test' no matter what I did. Finally, out of desperation, I DMZ'd the IP for the 6400 and got the green light. As an added bonus, I was then able to log in from my ATT LTE cell phone account with SmartSDR for iOS. I was NOT able to do this before nor was I able to log in from another Suddenlink cable account other than my own. I've used DMZ before for testing, but it's something I'm hesitant to leave open long term. Suggestions?

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just make sure you have the TCP and UDP IP ports INSIDE and OUTSIDE ports set correctly.

What router are you using??  Maybe someone has it figured out and can send you a screen grab of the settings if your ports are the same as there's that showed up in your Smartlink setup.

I definitely would NOT run the radio in a DMZ situation, remember it has a computer in it. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What router are you using?   It's possible your router is doing something flaky that is preventing it from forwarding properly.  Especially if following the manual setup was not working.

I haven't read the instructions yet since my 6400 hasn't even shipped yet.  Where you manually forwarding TCP and UDP? Or just one or the other?   I suppose I should read the instructions prior to actually posting...

• wb5nfc
    wb5nfc Member
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions, Bret. Yes, double checked incoming and outgoing ports then checked 'em again just to make sure I hadn't ****-fingered something. Saved, rebooted, reentered, deleted, rebooted... you get the picture. The router is unlike anything I've used before. It's Suddenlink cable company provided. It's a Hitron CGNM-2250-SDL. It's actually listed as a "Wi-Fi Gateway." But I'm not using WiFi for the radio or control. Ran a Cat 6 cable from one of the ethernet ports out to the shack - only about 150 feet.

John
    WB5NFC
  • wb5nfc
    wb5nfc Member
    edited February 2018
    You can catch router info on the previous post... it's a cable company provided unit. I ordered my 6400 the second day of the Dayton Mudfest last year and it just came in a couple weeks ago. Well worth the wait. You'll love it! Setup was pretty easy. It's when things don't go as planned (like this router thing) that it gets frustrating. Lots of very knowledgeable folks here in the forum, so help is out there if you need it. As far as the ports go, the SmartSDR setup screen has a manual port forward option that seems to work for most people - when the automatic setting doesn't. Neither worked for me.  ;-) There's just one TCP and one UDP port to forward IF automatic settings don't work.

John
  • wb5nfc
    wb5nfc Member
    edited February 2018
    I found a manual for the Hitron device online. Not much help... I had already checked the firewall and set it to minimum - what I didn't see was that "Port 113 IDS IDENT" was blocked. This isn't a port listed as one that needs forwarding, but just thought I'd throw out a little more info for whatever it may be worth. -- John / WB5NFC
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Here's a YouTube video for that router showing how to port forward. The info that you want starts around 1:30 into the video. First check the IP address of your radio as that needs to be entered for the local address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxGBb-VSgc

You need to enter two rules. 

I would suggest 4994 external to 4994 internal TCP
    and
    4993 external to 4993 internal UDP. 

After saving in router set up SmartLink Network setup using Manual as shown in the other thread. Click Save In SmartLink setup then click test.

Dave wo2x

• wb5nfc
    wb5nfc Member
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the video, Dave. I've watched it twice to see if I might have missed something, but it shows exactly what I have been doing -- but here's where the story gets better. After checking the ports, the TCP, UDP designations, and the IPs for the umpteenth time, I decided to reboot everything. The cable modem, the router, the DVR, a switch here in the shop and the 6400. When everything finally came back up -- it worked. Even the automatic network mode brings up the green test light now. I have no idea why, I'm just glad it does. I'm going to chalk this one up to an unknown gremlin and call it a night. Thanks for the help!  John
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Great! Glad you got it working. Welcome to the world of easy remote operation. Dave wo2x
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm glad it's working but there is another trick to watch out for now that you have the ports functioning. This is dynamic IP address allocation to the radio from your router. This is the usual default where the DHCP server issues a random address to each device on your internal network everytime you reboot a device or the router.

Most routers allow you to fix this so that the same address is always issued to a device. If you don't set this the router may issue a different address sometime in the future. When this happens things will stop working if the radio's address has changed because the ports are no longer forwarded to the radio's new address.

There are usually two approaches for solving this, Reserved addresses which you setup in the router or a static IP address which you set up in the radio. Use one or the other method but not both.

I prefer the Reserved method but your router has to support it. Check the manual. Otherwise, check the Flex manual for setting a static address there. Good luck!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    I suspect this behavior is a consequence of your routers software features.  Not every router/firewall implements the same feature the same way.  This is one of the challenges with consumer-grade devices.  If you have it working, count it as a win.
  • wb5nfc
    wb5nfc Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes, totally agree Tim. I have been toying with the idea of replacing "rented" cable equipment (modem and router) with my own. Recent events may move the process forward.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    +1  Just put the cable modem in "bridge mode" and get a reasonable firewall.  I have been doing this for more years than I can count.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If the box  you got from the ISP is both a modem and a router you should be able to get them to reconfigure it to just be a modem and then buy your own router that will do what you want it to.  The advantage to this path is this.  If you put your own modem and router in and at some point in the future you lose your internet connection the ISP will tell you that it is probably your hardware.  Then you will have to prove yourself innocent. However if the modem is theirs and you can use your router to see it on the network and talk to it, then the problem is theirs.  The LAN side IP address of their equipment is frequently 192.168.1.1.

• Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gents, I'm running a Cisco/Linksys E4200 V2 .. thousands of them out there ... and a pretty standard router from what I can tell .. UPnP is enabled on the router .. yet I no joy when attempting the "Automatic" connection under Network Settings .. Mouse Over red dot shows

Radio Cannot Be Accessed using Smartlink

UPnP Ports;
    TCP = FAIL
    UDP = FAIL,

Forwarded Ports:
    TCP = FAIL
    UDP= FAIL,

Hole Punch Supported: No

What's my next move to get SmartLink working?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    What does your ISP provide? Modem? Combo modem/router? Need a little more info on your network. Dave wo2x
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave, ISP is Comcast/Xfinity .. they provide CableModem/Router combo but I'm running the Cisco/Linksys E4200 router on the other side of the house in the hamshack via a Netgear Powerline AV500 device .. been working for years ... but you raise a good point about UPnP being enabled on the Comcast Router ... or at least that's the synapse that was triggered ..
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Just went through this at my sister’s house. You need to run one of them in Bridge mode. The double NATing is probably your issue. You could try using manual port forwarding in both routers but it is easier to put the Cisco in Bridge mode. Dave wo2x
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Dave .. am I correct in that when in Bridge mode the Cisco/Linksys E4200 can no longer be a WiFi hotspot?  I need WiFi in the shack on this side of the house in addition to hard wired ethernet connectivity for radios/computers etc .. Ed
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    And .. if I go the manual port forwarding .. for both .. who has that recipe?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    The Cisco should work fine as a WiFi hotspot in Bridge mode. I am doing it with a pair of ASUS routers. Dave wo2x
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I will not name the internet provider I was using, but after a few months I became disalusioned with therir equipment. Best decision was to get my own. Was a big improvement all around . No more dropouts, reboots etc. worked well with my Apple wireless router. Port forwarding took less then 5 minutes to get going. Only problem I have with my service is that they can not keep up ip v6 routing up in a reliable manor.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Be very careful with UPnP.  You don't want it turned on, on the WAN side of the router.  It is for LAN use and is not secure.
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bob, thanks for the above ... I thought I saw that warning from the Cisco/Linksys E4200 that it would disable the wifi in bridge mode and that would not be good as I need that for other devices on this side of the house ... still need a solution here .. port forwarding might have to be it .. though I need a recipe for that ... anyone have?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Didn't know that about Linksys/Cisco. According to this article on Cisco site it says it can be used as an access point in bridge mode. As an access point the WiFi will work.
    https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=143751

I am using an Asus RT-66U in bridged mode for WiFi coverage in living room and family room and it WiFi works fine.

Dave wo2x

• Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Appreciate that insight David ... QQ for you .. do you explicitly specify an IP address or select the "Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP) .. or does it matter .. 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    It should work either way but I recommend setting a static IP in the access point so you know what it is if you need to log into it. Use an IP outside the DHCP range of the main router. Dave wo2x
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave/all, ok spent the last hour attempting to get Bridge mode working on my Cisco E4200 unsuccessfully, I need the following parms and am not sure exactly where to get the values to populate same ..

I used the assigned IP address from the master xfinity router/cable modem and then Googled the subnet values and entered 255 255 255 0, then Googled for the DNS 1 address and entered 75 75 75 75 .. no joy .. where do i get these values .. presumably from the xfinity router/cable modem which will be the master ..

Need legit values for the following and where I go in my system to get ... thanks in advance

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    you should be able to get the info from the Xfinity router. Look for DHCP server settings. It should show a range of IP addresses like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 or something similar Assign an IP on that subnet, but out of that range. For the example above you could assign 192.168.1.10 for the IP. Mask is 255.255.255.0 , gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and DNS would also be 192.168.1.1 Let us know what the Xfinity shows and I can suggest what to put in the Bridge. Dave wo2x
  • Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Dave .. i'm now back on the port forwarding option .. still futzing with that .. trial and error .. this should not be this much of a puzzle .. but all configs are different .. i get it ..  will advise on the port forwarding ..

Did I see someone mention that I need to have port forwarding enabled on both routers .. primary (xfinity router/cablemodem) and secondary shack router (Cisco E4200) .. seems to make sense as one needs to pass to the other ..

FWIW .. seems that the primary xfinity router is assigning IP addresses in the 10.0.0 and up range .. will double check when I get to the other side of the house

Ed
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Set the Cisco to bridge with following

Ip address 10.0.0.253
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 10.0.0.1
    DNS 10.0.0.1

Should work with SmartLink set to automatic

Make sure to restart shack PC and Radio after making change to Cisco Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.