Smartlink and connection to DXLabs Commander

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Is anyone having trouble connecting to DXLabs Commander when the radio is not on the local LAN?    Using version 2.0 and have Maestro locally where the DXLabs PC is.

UPDATE:  Dave AA6YQ says the radio must appear on the same Lan as the DXLabs PC.            Now to figure out how to connect the Logging Program with V2.0.   Wonder if connecting DX Commander locally to the Maestro IP  can be done since Maestro does have all the necessary [freq, mode] data transported from the Radio over SmartLink
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 890 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Eduardo Carvalho - KC8R

Eduardo Carvalho - KC8R

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
My imubderstabding is that support from third party programs will be worked out with time. For now you can still use dxcommander (or any other program) by setting it up using the COM port, like we used to prior to it being able to connect with SSDR on LAN. I was able to do that because SmartCAT supports WAN.
Photo of Ron N4VZ

Ron N4VZ

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The WAN support allows a radio interface such as SmartSDR and Maestro to connect to the hardware via the Smartlink service. Other applications that communicate directly with the radio would need to be adapted to operate over a WAN using Smartlink or other methodology.  In other words, we asked for a WAN capable radio and got it - but our numerous third part programs are not specifically WAN capable.

As Eduardo says we do have SmartCAT working with the Smartlink connection so changing the Commander configuration to use COM ports may do it.  Keep in mind that there is no DAX so if you run any digital modes you will also have to configure audio in and out via your local sound device (don't forget to push the REMOTE button to activate the sound if using SmartSDR over the WAN).  In effect we are stepping back to the old days using audio interfaces (albeit internal virtual ones) and COM ports for keying.  But it should work and over time these things will catch up (I hope).

I will spend the next several days figuring out how to configure my laptop for remote operation using DXLabs, N1MM for RTTY and wsjit-x. You could also punt and just use a VPN back to your home LAN.  BTW I don't think there is any way to get information out of a Maestro across the local network.

Ron N4VZ
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 890 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
PHEW! Fought this configuration for 16 hours and finally got my remote radio to connect to DAX and DXLabs here at home via the ASUS Router built in VPN and still able to use Smartlink here on the Maestro to connect back to the remote 6700.
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 95 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
FYI, updating this thread, when operating remote with SmartLink,  DX Lab can connect remotely via the Internet to your Flex 6000 series transceiver via port forwarding. Your radio must have a fixed IP address on the LAN and your router configured to forward port 4992 to the radio's IP address.  In Commander Config (Radio Selection) set the IP address to your router's external address and port number to 4992. 

I use PSTRotatorAZ, configured to follow DX Labs Commander and DX Keeper, to control a SteppIR SDA100 and Green Heron RT-21 via a multi-port serial to Ethernet converter. No VPN needed and no running computer required in the shack for remote ops. 

Larry KB1VFU