SmartControl operations with 6600 and 6400M ...

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago

The new SmartControl has me interested. I have a 6600 and have an opportunity to buy a 6400M on the cheap. Can I run SmartControl on the 6400M to control SmartSDR on the 6600? Trust me, I have my valid reasons. Or, for almost the same cost buy a new Maestro?

W7NGA

Seaside, Oregon

Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 452 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Rick- K2RB

Rick- K2RB

• 29 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I have the 6600M and a separate maestro and find the new upgrade amazing and has given me much more flexibility.  I have found that I use the maestro all the time whether I am in the shack or running it in a different room or remote.   It probably depends on your individual preferences.   Based on how it seems to work is that everything goes through the computer for the individual radio.  Flex will probably be able to have the correct answer.  
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 976 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
the short answer is no as far as controlling a separate radio with an M model.  The difference is in the architectural details.  Although  the M model radio panel is very similar to a Maestro, it is a bit different.  for instance, when plugging a key into an m-panel radio, you are plugging into the main transceiver keyer port.  Same with Mic, etc.  when plugging into a maestro, you are plugging into the Maestro remote winkeyer, remote mic port etc.  So you can see with several of the control interfaces "direct connect" on an M-panel radio, it complicates the remote capability so that feature is not yet available.   I would love to see some kind of implementation of remote from M model myself some day.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 452 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes

Interesting .. but I don't see why there are restrictions if you are using SmartControl as a *control* platform only. No mic, no speaker ... just operational control. As an aside, I could have my 6600 and 6400M (or any other 6000 series radios) on my network and control them individually using SmartControl on a Maestro (Normal or Multiflex modes). Correct?

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3561 Reply Likes
A Maestro will control any FLEX-6000.  The front panel of a 6600M can only control another 6600M and the front panel of a 6400M can control another 6400M.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 976 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Thanks for the clarification Tim..  I didnt realize he was just asking about SmartControl but rather full use of the panel.
Photo of Holger Hannemann

Holger Hannemann

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Am I doing something wrong with SmartControl? When activated on my 6600M the window SmartControl stays on the the radio screen blocking the band scope. I can't get rid of the window without deactivating SmartControl. I doubt that was the idea of the developers...
73 Holger, ZL3IO

Holger Hannemann

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm asking this again. When using Smart Control is the "Smart Control window" supposed to stay on the radio screen all the time and consequently disabling the band scope use on the radio screen? Or can I get rid of the window on the screen while still using smart control?
73 Holger

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 976 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Holger -

Smart control is a feature that allows a Maestro or M series radio to use the button and knob interface to control another instance of SmartSDR.  When in SmartControl mode, the Smart control window with the station select menu that controls the instance of smartSDR for windows you are controlling remain on the screen.  You can however select meters, that will allow you to place quite a number of meters on the screen simultaneously with the smart control window.  Thats how the product works right now. 

Holger Hannemann

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for feedback, Chris. I honestly can't understand why it was programmed this way. A small "SmartControl-Active" notification on the radio screen would be ok but blocking the majority of the screen but the meters is really compromising the experience. At least in my case the decision was this feature can't be used as it is today. I really like the idea of having SSDR on a PC screen mirroring the radio screen. But an operator of a M-model will be used to the band scope on the radio display which now is not accessible. It's an OR decision where to watch the band scope like before and not an AND. 

I hope it's an easy fix and can be adapted and that the Flexradio team is monitoring this and making notes. 

73 Holger

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 976 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Holger,  I think I understand now.  What you are looking for is what I have heard referred to as a "mirror mode".  I have heard a number of requests for this.  SmartControl as it stands right now is one of my favorite new products available in SmartSDR. It is exactly what I was hoping for in my use case, but I do understand the value of what you are looking for and I would love to see that feature one day. 

One must understand that mirroring a scaleable windows application on another that is less scaleable with strict screen real estate is a bit more of a programming challenge..  but I know for a fact that the programming team is reading these posts and hearing you.  As someone who would like this feature as well, i hope the team are able to put it on the list for a future enhancement.  but for now.. SmartControl has added a new dynamic to the product that I and quite a few others find extremely useful.  In the meantime, I think there are a couple of third party applications that achieve some level of mirroring on the flex ecosystem, but I have not tried that feature so would hope that one of those developers may chime in with details.
(Edited)