Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCat and Win8

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
Frustration at its finest.  As usual I am unable to install SmartCat on my Win8 system.  Went fine on the Win7 computer.  I have tried about 30 times so far and I always get the error that the installer was interrupted before smartcat could be installed.

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Greg,

At some point Win8 will ask you to allow this to be installed,  I bet that message may have gotten covered up the first time,  and then subsequent installs did not give you that option .   Stop or allow Catinstaller_64.msi with exceptions through your firewall and anti-virus.  Also I have found some folks had loaded another brand of firewall and anti-virus,  but the windows firewall was also running,  having two SW firewalls is problematic, so check for that too.  Also you might want to try the install from another account,  and reboot in between uninstalls and installs, these are drivers you are trying to install.    
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greg,

Sorry to hear of your struggles but I am also thankful that you are posting them.  This just reinforces my decision to stay away from Win8 like the plague!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Greg - I need a screen shot of the error you are receiving so I can better understand the nature of the error.  You have my company e-mail, please send it to me off list.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Greg,
    i have no issues with installations of the SmarCat on Win8 and further Win8.1 after uprgade in any different combinations with SSDR  - start installation of the SmartCat after SSDR installation immideately or after upgrade. PC: Notebook Toshiba Cosmio X70-A-L5S with i7-4700MQ 2,4gHz, 32G Ram, SSD and discrete Video base on GeForce GTX 770M, try to install SmartCat with disconnected all peripheral devices (i guess it mostly USB base )
    Regarding Win8 and Win8.1 i would like to notice what was changed policies of the device driver utilization from apps side - not all previously successefully running device drivers can be accessed from the apps: ex. DDutil can never any more manage SCR preselector in Win8 and Win8.1 - system message: device occupied by other process(even after plug out/plug in)
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg::
    I had the same problem when trying to install SmartCAT on a Win 8.1 computer. I found that the previous installation of CAT on this computer was causing the issue. The Previous CAT and SmartSDR had to be removed using the Programs and Features manager in the Control Panel. Then reboot the computer, Install the SmartSDR using Admin Privileges. Look in the folder where you installed the new FLEX and open the SmartSDR folder. There should be another folder named Modules. In this folder you will find CatInstaller_64.msi.  Install this software with Admin Privileges. I had to repeat this step several times until I finally got it to install correctly.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. The process I have done already is: 1. Use SmartCat to remove all the flex ports. 2. Using the control panel, uninstall SmartCat. 3. Reboot. Then use Device manager to verify the flex virtual ports are gone. The computer's properties have already been changed to allow viewing of hidden ports. 4. Go to the modules folder and run the installation pkg from the only account used on this computer which is the admin account. 5. I have tried this also with disabling the Windows firewall with the same results. 6. I have tried with various security settings where it will or won't ask if I trust the bronze bear source. 7. I have tried by clicking on OK on the Bronze bear trusted source quickly and slowly. 8. I do not see any files to get rid of in the appdata/roaming folders nor in the registry. 9. On the last installation I had the same problem. It finally installed after around 80 attempts. I am past that now with no success. 10. Tim - I will grab a screenshot of the error and send it to you off list this evening. But it essentially says the installation has been interrupted prior to installing, click close and try again. 11. I do not run SSDR on this computer. It is used for DDUtil and Green Heron Everywere server. But I thought maybe SmartCat needed to have it installed so I tried that too with no difference. Thanks...hope I can resolve this prior to NAQP tomorrow. 73 Greg
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Could it be a rights issue?
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Greg,

I would like to mentioned additionally: successful installation under Win 8.1 able after ~1-2min after system start(depends how many drivers are loading), means when drivers are started properly, before final system startup I retrieve a error message with DAX - DAX driver can't start due device busy by others

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I think I have let the OS start and waited up to 5 minutes before trying to install SmartCat....but I will try again just to be sure. Thanks Sergey. Don - This is the only use for this particular computer (lenovo 24" all in one with touch screen and i5 processor). I have the only account and it is the admin account. So rights should not be the issue. 73 Greg
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Even though you may have admin privileges you may have to start the install in admin mode.  I have apps that wont run even if I start them as an administrator.  Once I change the property of the program it works.  I am not saying that is your issue but just a thought.  See picture of how to set admin to an app.

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Don, That is good once the program is installed. You cannot set that for the installer package. There is no run as administrator option available for the installer. Once I manage to get it installed there has been no issue with it running as it should. I just cannot get it to install.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Time to do some MSI logging to see where the issues are I think.

You can launch the CAT installer using MSIEXEC and log the whole process.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262(v=ws.10).aspx

basically from an Admin level command prompt:

MSIEXEC catinstaller_64.msi /L*v

The log file will be created in the folder where MSIEXEC is executed from.

Here is a previous thread where I discussed the same process.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/still_having_a_problem_getting_smartsdr_cat_to_load...

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    you are correct.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks...I will try that tonight as well. From the cmd prompt do I include the entire folder path for the catinstaller_64.msi file or just the way you have it? MSIEXECc:program filesflex radio systemssmartCATmodulescatinstaller_64.msi /L*v Or c:program filesflex radio systemssmartCATmodulesMSIEXEC catinstaller_64.msi /L*v
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Simply run a Command Prompt in Admin Mode and then CD into the folder where the CatInstaller_64 is.

Then use this command line:

msiexec /i CatInstaller_64.msi /L*V "catinstall.log"

MSIEXEC is in your system path, so the OS will find it.

And then the Installer will start as normal (in Admin mode also).

Once complete (or failed) you will have the catinstall.log in the same folder.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

You can of course place the log file wherever you like...

msiexec /i CatInstaller_64.msi /L*V "d:catinstall.log"

On the d drive for example.

• R3QG
    R3QG Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi Greg. I had this problem. Computer gave error "The error code is 2739." This problem occurs after some updates related to Google+ photos, can not say exactly. In this case, you must install from the command line as an administrator here these dll: - "regsvr32 jscript.dll" and "regsvr32 vbscript" in the root of drive C: And it solves the problem.   Thank you. Vladimir (R3QG)
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks....I will run the log this evening and post the results.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

You should also as a matter of maintainance run a system file check, just in case some system dll's are out of sync.   The built in System File Checker will do this for you.

Again, from an elevated command prompt:

SFC /scannow

Here is more detail:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

• R3QG
    R3QG Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi Greg. I had this problem. Computer gave error "The error code is 2739." This problem occurs after some updates related to Google+ photos, can not say exactly. In this case, you must install from the command line as an administrator here these dll: - "regsvr32 jscript.dll" and "regsvr32 vbscript" in the root of drive C: And it solves the problem.   Thank you. Vladimir (R3QG)
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Vlad...where do I get those dll files to install them?
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Both those files are system files and located in the windowssystem32 folder.

If you want to try the re-registering...just open a Command Prompt in admin mode (it will start in the system32 folder). then:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I will try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140 Note I am running 64bit version.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Sounds like a plan...

You are running a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system, and you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section while you are using the 32-bit scripting components
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64vbscript.dll, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64jscript.dll, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64dispex.dll, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64scrobj.dll, and then press ENTER.
    6. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64scrrun.dll, and then press ENTER.
    7. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64wshext.dll, and then press ENTER.
    8. Type %systemroot%syswow64
      egsvr32 %systemroot%syswow64wshom.ocx, and then press ENTER.
  • R3QG
    R3QG Member
    edited July 2016
    Greg - must select Start / Run (or on the keyboard simultaneously press Win + R) and specify the following commands (after each command sets must click on the OK button): regsvr32 vbscript.dll regsvr32 jscript.dll 3. Repeat the installation program
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I did the vbscript.dll per the above post.  That went well.  When I tried the jscript.dll I got an error saying it was loaded but the call to dllregisterserver failed with error code 0x80004005.

I went ahead and tried the installation and it took this time.  So apparently the VBScript was causing the problem but I am not sure what to do about the jscript error.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Was your Antivirus running?  It may have been blocked by AV - as it jscript that is used by IE etc.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Greg, I just had the same problem with the CAT install and Jim Gilliam suggested that I have the radio on when installing CAT. Worked the first time smooth as butter so I'm a happy camper. Don't know if you have tried with the radio on but it worked for Jim and me. Good Luck Al N4AB. 
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had tried that before with no luck.  Registering the VBScrip.dll file seems to have done it even though I still get an error registering JScript.  So it was either this or it just finally decided to give up. :)

Greg

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.