At some point Win8 will ask you to allow this to be installed, I bet that message may have gotten covered up the first time, and then subsequent installs did not give you that option . Stop or allow Catinstaller_64.msi with exceptions through your firewall and anti-virus. Also I have found some folks had loaded another brand of firewall and anti-virus, but the windows firewall was also running, having two SW firewalls is problematic, so check for that too. Also you might want to try the install from another account, and reboot in between uninstalls and installs, these are drivers you are trying to install.
i have no issues with installations of the SmarCat on Win8 and further Win8.1 after uprgade in any different combinations with SSDR - start installation of the SmartCat after SSDR installation immideately or after upgrade. PC: Notebook Toshiba Cosmio X70-A-L5S with i7-4700MQ 2,4gHz, 32G Ram, SSD and discrete Video base on GeForce GTX 770M, try to install SmartCat with disconnected all peripheral devices (i guess it mostly USB base )
Regarding Win8 and Win8.1 i would like to notice what was changed policies of the device driver utilization from apps side - not all previously successefully running device drivers can be accessed from the apps: ex. DDutil can never any more manage SCR preselector in Win8 and Win8.1 - system message: device occupied by other process(even after plug out/plug in)
I had the same problem when trying to install SmartCAT on a Win 8.1 computer. I found that the previous installation of CAT on this computer was causing the issue. The Previous CAT and SmartSDR had to be removed using the Programs and Features manager in the Control Panel. Then reboot the computer, Install the SmartSDR using Admin Privileges. Look in the folder where you installed the new FLEX and open the SmartSDR folder. There should be another folder named Modules. In this folder you will find CatInstaller_64.msi. Install this software with Admin Privileges. I had to repeat this step several times until I finally got it to install correctly.
1. Use SmartCat to remove all the flex ports.
2. Using the control panel, uninstall SmartCat.
3. Reboot. Then use Device manager to verify the flex virtual ports are gone. The computer's properties have already been changed to allow viewing of hidden ports.
4. Go to the modules folder and run the installation pkg from the only account used on this computer which is the admin account.
5. I have tried this also with disabling the Windows firewall with the same results.
6. I have tried with various security settings where it will or won't ask if I trust the bronze bear source.
7. I have tried by clicking on OK on the Bronze bear trusted source quickly and slowly.
8. I do not see any files to get rid of in the appdata/roaming folders nor in the registry.
9. On the last installation I had the same problem. It finally installed after around 80 attempts. I am past that now with no success.
10. Tim - I will grab a screenshot of the error and send it to you off list this evening. But it essentially says the installation has been interrupted prior to installing, click close and try again.
11. I do not run SSDR on this computer. It is used for DDUtil and Green Heron Everywere server. But I thought maybe SmartCat needed to have it installed so I tried that too with no difference.
Thanks...hope I can resolve this prior to NAQP tomorrow.
I would like to mentioned additionally: successful installation under Win 8.1 able after ~1-2min after system start(depends how many drivers are loading), means when drivers are started properly, before final system startup I retrieve a error message with DAX - DAX driver can`t start due device busy by others
Don - This is the only use for this particular computer (lenovo 24" all in one with touch screen and i5 processor). I have the only account and it is the admin account. So rights should not be the issue.
Time to do some MSI logging to see where the issues are I think.
You can launch the CAT installer using MSIEXEC and log the whole process.
basically from an Admin level command prompt:
MSIEXEC catinstaller_64.msi /L*v
The log file will be created in the folder where MSIEXEC is executed from.
Here is a previous thread where I discussed the same process.
MSIEXEC\c:\program files\flex radio systems\smartCAT\modules\catinstaller_64.msi /L*v
c:\program files\flex radio systems\smartCAT\modules\MSIEXEC catinstaller_64.msi /L*v
Simply run a Command Prompt in Admin Mode and then CD into the folder where the CatInstaller_64 is.
Then use this command line:
msiexec /i CatInstaller_64.msi /L*V "catinstall.log"
MSIEXEC is in your system path, so the OS will find it.
And then the Installer will start as normal (in Admin mode also).
Once complete (or failed) you will have the catinstall.log in the same folder.
Thank you. Vladimir (R3QG)
You should also as a matter of maintainance run a system file check, just in case some system dll's are out of sync. The built in System File Checker will do this for you.
Again, from an elevated command prompt:
Here is more detail:
Thank you. Vladimir (R3QG)
I went ahead and tried the installation and it took this time. So apparently the VBScript was causing the problem but I am not sure what to do about the jscript error.