Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR API
I’m working on my own GUI client using FlexAPI, but SmartCAT doesn’t recognize it? Do SmartCAT and SmartDAX only work with FRS GUI programs?

Answers

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Your program is a GUI program if you set API.IsGUI = true; before you call radio connect.
    Once you do this and connect your program should be listed with other GUI Clients.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Here's my startup code:

public Main()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                WindowPlacement.SetPlacement(this.Handle, Properties.Settings.Default.WindowPlacement);
                API.IsGUI = true;
                API.ProgramName = "N8MEFlexWinForms1";
                AttachEventHandlers();
                API.Init();
            }

The computer name is QUAD. If SSDR Windows is running QUAD is in the dropdown list,
    but with my client it isn't. What am I missing?

• James Whiteway
    edited August 2019
    Version 2.51 only allows a single GUI app to connect to the radio and display things like the panadapter and waterfall. You can run a non GUI app and a GUI app like SSDR together. That's the reason I upgraded to v3. James WD5GWY
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I'm only running one GUI app at a time. When my app is running, no other GUI apps are running.  

I think I know the answer, but I just want to confirm. Under version 3, if you have two GUI apps running, do changes made one GUI app affect the other. IOW, if I change band/frequency/mode on GUI A, does it change band/mode/frequency on GUI B? I was under the impression that the two clients were more like two separate radios.  What I started out doing was trying to improve on the panadapter / waterfall display while still using Smart SDR Windows (or the Maestro) to handle the rest of the settings.  

I now think that, even with Version 3, I would have to handle all the features in my client just to be able to display a different panadapter or waterfall.  If I'm wrong, the version 3 upgrade becomes more attractive.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    You missed one very important step or you have not included the code.
    Here is my guidance again.

Your program is a GUI program if you set API.IsGUI = true; before you call radio connect.
    Once you do this and connect your program should be listed with other GUI Clients.

Find, locate, browse, etc to get the Radio object then radio.Connect();

If you want help collaborating on your project, I would suggest you create a GitHub account, add your project then invite those who you want help from to the project.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Mark, I didn’t show that part of my code, but I do connect to the radio.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Mark,

After a lot more testing, I reverted my 6700 to v2.4.9 and SmartCAT recognizes my GUI client. There must have been a change in the process with the conversion to v3.

Under v2.4.9, SmartCAT connects to the radio as soon as I select it. Under v2.5.1, it won't connect to the radio until a GUI client is running. But it seems like merely setting IsGUI in the API isn't enough. 

I've  opened a help ticket on this issue. Hopefully, someone in the know from Flex will tell me what's missing.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You are using the FlexAPI V3+  with 2.5.1 and 3.X right?

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Okay, it turns out that with FlexAPI v2.5.1, you must call the Radio object method, SetClientStationName. Once you do that, SmartCAT will find your GUI client.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I'm using FlexAPI v2.5.1. My understanding is that it incorporates the changes needed to support the v3 common code.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.