Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT V 1,3,0.0 COM PORT & HRD anomaly question

2»

Answers

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Sorry to hear that . Look!!!  At this point  I would try DDutility   see if that works  Nothing to loose . 

My US navigator  and Micro Ham went away    But I didn't tell you that .
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

John and all

HRD seems to be the problem.

I had SmartSDR v1.3. for several days working well with previous HRD version; until I installed HRD v 6.2.7,

The install of HRD v6.2.7 gave me a headache and it took a while to get it  operational.  I found that to be an abnormal installation. I tried it several times downloading v6.2.7 in case there was an error but, every time I installed it; the same problem re-appeared. That is why I said that it seems to be an HRD problem. 

However, now I have to click on the log GUI in DM780 to open the log.  Otherwise, everything else works normal.

Gear:  F-6700LE - Win7/64 - HRD v6.2.7 - JT65/9 ...

"NO I do not use DDUtil - That's why god gave Flex CAT."

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Actually until SmartSDR CAT natively sends CAT commands to physical com ports I will use DDUTIL.

DDUTIL allows CAT to my Acom 2000 and PalStar AT Auto tuner. Everything tunes on band change before RF is applied!

Also the HRD server built in allows running HRD logbook and DM780 without the "chatty" HRD main program hogging up the CAT bus.

Third, DDUTIL supports the Genovation keypad. It gives me the ability to program 23 buttons with two different macros per button (46 total). Think of a single button press to way your radio to 20 meter PSK! And SmartSDR does not have to be in focus when using the keypad. Perfect for contesting.

To each their own though.

Dave, wo2x
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Charlie
    I understand that you have the MicroHam Controller and that it likely controls other radios/devices in your station as well as your 6300

But as an experiment, try DDUTIL and hook your controlled devices (rotor, Amp, etc?) directly to your computer rather than to your MicroHam.. to see if you can actually get the 6300 to transmit.

I have had a lot of luck with DDUTIL over the years.. so much so that I also dumped all my Legacy peripheral controllers including the MicroHam... I understand that that may not happen in your case as you still have other Legacy Radios...but give it a try to see if it fixes your issue

Worst comes to worst... I am back in town for til the end of Oct so I would be happy to come to your place to assist with your trouble shooting...
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Great offer ky6la. As I said also mine went on e bay . Never looked back. My om. At. ,rotor, Loves Ddutil. Anyhow going over to 20 psk. See ya.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Dave you are right on.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The main advantage of DDUTIL with HRD is that DDUTIL - HRD combination connects as an 1 Gb/s Ethernet Server rather than using slow 128Kb/S serial ports.  So it eliminates much of the slow serial port interrupt loading on the computer.   The combination just works so much faster and much more reliably... 

Plus you can get rid of need for that cumbersome legacy HRD interface screen which at best is a poor duplication of the controls already there in SSDR and just run Logbook, Rotor Control and DM780

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Since you are reporting that you have no audio  . A light bulb went on.  

In DM780  are you selecting DAX ????  or The CODEX required by that Micro ham device.
    If you select the Codex the only way you get audio out of the Micro ham is through the Mike input  and not through DAX  

• NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    My issue is resolved.

The problem was an obscure setting in HRD, and a failure of the SmartSDR created virtual ports to perform as advertised. Why the latter is under investigation.

To recount for all,. as I said many comments ago, both the Flex 6300 and all my Yaesu radios operated well with HRD. That is, all responded to digital commands originated in HRD CAT, and HRD responded well to any command issued on SmartSDR or on the radio knobs (that comment is for you Howard, I know you salivate about knobs.)

The problem was that in DM-780 AND ONLY IN DM-780, the Flex 6300 would NOT TRANSMIT. All else worked fine.

The solution AT LEAST IN MY CASE was found in an HRD setting.

In DM-780 AND ONLY on DM-780, go to Program Options.

Among a bazilion of choices, go to PTT.

In PTT, DESPITE the fact that a specific virtual PTT port was already created in SmartSDR in order to communicate with HRD, DO NOT LEAVE IT SET THAT WAY, S IT WILL NOT WORk!

Instead, choose to allow HRD to send the command to transmit THROUGH HRD!

Issue resolved.

NOT a choice needed with the other radios.

No particular performaNce issues at this time, having only just fouNd this. I'll let you know after the next speed contest, as that will imply need for instant response.

No need to use DDUTIL.

Thanks to many who responded with specific answers to specific questions. Congratulations to all who answered based on MY REQUIREMENTS. That is the primary question in any case involving software performance.

WHAT IS THE USER'S REQUIREMENT.

73 de NN3V

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.