Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT Unhandled Critical Error

Rick
Rick Member ✭✭
edited July 2017 in SmartSDR CAT
I'm running the most recent version of SmartSDR/CAT and DAX on WIn 7 computer. I began to experience problems with CAT ports for other devices and software. I spent an entire day on it and finally, after attempting to do a repair on SmartCAT following Tim's suggested procedure I got the long "Unhandled Critical Error" message. I also removed ghost ports but that didn't seem to help. I've tired to narrow it down by first turning on peripherals before booting Win 7 and visa versa but it seems difficult to predict and it's gotten worse. I did take a screen shot of the critical error message which is foreign tongue to me and no way to attach the file here. Has anyone experienced this problem and is there any resolution short of deleting SmartSDR and all related files and reinstalling everything? This started when I wanted to establish CAT connection for another radio by a different manufacturer. 

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Rick,

I don't run Win7 much anymore.  Generally, if an error suddenly begins to appear I suspect something recent changed such as a recent install of some software or perhaps (unlikely with Win7) an update?

I don't have the best suggestions but sometimes a fresh install is the best.  I also would not rule out a hardware issue.  While rare and unlikely bad RAM can cause erratic behavior.

Mark - WS7M
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Mark. I fear that once again I'll have to **** off all smartsdr software and do a clean install. Unfortunately I've had to do this at least once before over the years.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The only thing I can say about this is that before I owned a Flex I used a Kenwood and a Microkeyer with their device router.  Then I added a Flex 3000 and installed VSPM.  The virtual ports created by VSPM did not like the presence of the virtual ports Microkeyer created and caused various issues.  I had to dump one of them. I suspect you are running in to the same type of conflicts between your other devices and SmartCAT ports. 
    Andy K3UK
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yup....and I use Virtual Serial Port Emulator. I've disabled it while trying to trouble shoot the problem but haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Probably need to do an uninstall and reinstall. I'm getting tired of doing that periodically. TNX 73
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    In fact, it may have been VSPE that I had issues with, not VSPM.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.