Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCat issue after latest Win10 upgrade

Steve - N4TTY
Steve - N4TTY Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
After latest Win10 upgrade (7/31/2017) I get the below message when SmartCat tries to start.  Do I really need to open a help desk ticket?

What is the easiest and best way to resolve this issue?

I know a nasty gram to Microsoft will do me no good!

Comments

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You tried reinstalling the drivers?
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Not yet!  Last time I tried that I wound up having to delete all vestiges of SmartSDR and starting over as if from scratch.

Some pointers on reinstalling just the drivers would be very helpful.
    Do the old (now not functioning) drivers need to be deleted first?
    Since this seems to be a reoccurring problem with the many Microsoft updates that continually plaque us, a nice How-To article would be most helpful to many in the community.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    In the 1.x version and imagine similar is still in place for 2.x there use uninstall bat file in the drivers directory for each. You can try running the uninstall and then the install. Below is an example of the 1.x path to driver directory from there you will find sub directories for each. If you are not comfortable at this level it is probably best to open a ticket with Flex. The backup/export, full uninstall including driver, reboot and reinstall maybe be you fastest resolution though you are trying to avoid that.

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.10.1664-bit Drivers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

I remember Tim mentioning a way of un-installing FlexVSP and re-installing before taking the "nuclear option." Perhaps he could chime in to see if this can be done with Version 2.

Jim, K6QE

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    yes, that way is to do what I described of going into the drivers directory and running the uninstall .bat files and then the install ones. A reboot maybe needed in between.
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Is that all the uninstall bat files I find below that point?  I see uninstall bat files in 5 different sub-directories below that point.  I don't have a FlexControl so I'm assuming I can ignore that one.  But the other 4 all deal with DAX.  Even though it is CAT I'm having an issue with, it did complain that it needed the FlexVSP service running.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You can start with the FlexVSP.

This is where I would personally just do the complete SSDR and FlexVSP uninstall, reboot, install again. This way you know everything has a clean install after a Microsoft update that has impacted the SSDR environment. And usually about the same time spent. Other consider it overkill and do the specific driver refresh one over one. It is a personal preference and comfort level.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I would wait for an official blessing on how to effect a complete un-install of version 2. It might be a different animal than version 1.
  • W0JD
    W0JD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Steve,

Had the same problem and uninstall (including drivers) followed by a re-installed solved the problem. When uninstalling SmartSDR answer "No" when you are asked to keep the drivers. Also be sure to allow the reboot if requested after the uninstall.

Then reinstall version 2. 

• G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    Is this on V2?

One of the specific features of v2 was to stop exactly this kind of interaction. Need to report to Flex.

"New FlexVSP driver: A new and updated FlexVSP driver (v1.0.6) used with SmartSDR CAT is included in SmartSDR v2.0.17.  The driver installs automatically.  This virtual serial port driver has better performance and stability characteristics than the previous version, especially when used on Windows 10. This updated FlexVSP driver also corrects an existing defect #4394, Serial Ports left "in use" when CAT is shut down. After installing SmartSDR v2.0.17, you will have to manually reset and clear any com ports currently in use by using the HelpDesk procedure Removing "In Use" Com Ports for Available Com Ports

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    As mentioned before depending on your comfort level of doing things with the PC you should open a ticket with FlexRadio. If you are comfortable then you can do the experimenting of individually uninstalling drivers or doing a full uninstall of all Flex software (ssdr and flexvsp). Flex has stated you can install 2.x and uninstall it to return to 1.x if desired so it is unlikely the process has changed or that you will do anything that can't be recovered.

It up to the individual and their comfort level what risks they want to take.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had the same problem on the first install. Checked the FRS directory and found no FlexVSP software. Re-installed SmartSDR 2.0.17, everything installed as planned.
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes V2.0.17
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Re-install everything?  After an uninstall?
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Steve Thank you for your help,
    Now let me see if I can help you with this issue.
    This was my situation:  
    I had an issue with the JT/FT/PSK  programs. I was disconnecting from the DAX Control. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling etc with no success.
    I  reloaded SmartSDR and all it's programs and even turned the DC power off: With no success. This happened for several days.
    And as luck would have it; I lost AC power
    I returned to the radio room and I restarted the computer and all the accessories.
    All the programs that I was previously using (FT8/JT9) etc... were working!
    Looking for solutions:
    I played with DAX Ctl Panel and CAT by disabling and reinstalling.
    No matter how many times I tried to restart/reload DAX, it continue to fail.
    Result:
    I performed a complete AC shut down; waited several minutes to turned it back on.
    Audio was back operating normally.
    I did a complete shut down several times and have not had any DAX failure.
    This maybe an issue with DAX starting with version 2.0?
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have gone through a couple of updates of Windows 10 with SmartSDR 2.0.17 without a problem on my laptop. I had given up trying to use it with older versions of the software. I had not even used my laptop in a few months so when I did install SmartLink, windows 10 did a major update and the new software installed without a problem....It did take more than an hour but I decided to resist the temptation to stop the install. My conclusion: Patience required.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    My reinstall isn't the recommended one, ib I use Revo uninstaller and do a complete uninstall with deep scan of everything related to the radio, SmartSDR, FlexVSP, and DAX and CAT. After the uninstall, scan and deletion, the computer sits as if it never had the software on it. Then I reinstall it all over from the beginning.

I've simply gotten into the habit of deletion and reinstall after every update - only on W10. My Windows 7 installation is as close to flawless as a Windows install can be. Let us hope that someday Microsoft will move W10 past Beta.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Never underestimate the power of Microsoft to work around Program fixes. 
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Tim!  I now have that for future reference!

But I never actually got around to trying anything that was suggested, but now everything is work just fine!  Here is what transpired.

1. I had to shutdown my laptop to go work on another project (honey do list!).
    2. For whatever reason Win10 wanted to do another update before shutting down, so it did its update then shutdown.
    3. After completing the other project and rebooting the laptop, CAT started with no errors!

Murphy must have been sitting on my shoulder before, but got tired of hanging around and left the building.

All systems are a go now!

Now anxiously awaiting for the ability to use DAX via SmartLink.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.