Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR ver. 1.6 with HRD DM780 and WSJT-X

Jim WA9ABB
Jim WA9ABB Member
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The upgrade to SmartSDR ver. 1.6.17 went smoothly.  I am using Windows 7.

However, after the upgrade, I have not been able to get WSJT-X to function.  With DAX control panel RX set to channel two, Slice A, it is streaming, but the audio signal does not show on the WSJT-X screen.  When JT65 is keyed to transmit, MOX is activated, but no signal is streamed to the DAX TX Stream control panel, although the TX indicator is blue and MOX is blue, and there is no power out on the Flex 6700.  When you cancel transmit on the WSJT-X screen, MOX on the Flex 6700 is deactivated.  If you try to use the settings menu on WSJT-X,  the program immediately becomes unresponsive and you cannot close it except by using Windows Start Task Manager.  I uninstalled and reinstalled  SmartSDR ver 1.6.17 and WSJT-X,  but that did not help.

Basically I am unable to receive or transmit with WSJT-X.

When using HRD and DM780 with PSK31, keying DM780 activates the MOX on the Flex 6700 and it puts out the appropriate signal.  On going back to receive mode with DM780,  the DAX TX streaming stops and power output drops to zero, but the Flex 6700 MOX remains keyed, and the MOX indicator remains blue.  You have to manually click on it to deactivate MOX to return to receive.   DM780 otherwise decodes and transmits PSK31 appropriately.  The only issue seems to be with PTT (MOX) function.

I am currently not running DM780 and WSJT-X simultaneously.

Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems with WSJT-X and HRD with DM780 with SmartSDR ver 1.6.17 ?

I also have Fldigi installed and it works fine, but I prefer HRD with DM780.

Any  constructive suggestions or advice will be appreciated. It is probably something incredibly simple or **** that I am overlooking.

73 and Thanks
Jim  WA9ABB

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I am also having a hard time getting HRD to transmit using CAT.  PTT works fine.  I think we may be seeing a compatibility issue that HRD needs to update.
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Jim, I just learned WSJT-X a couple of days before 1.6.17 arrived. I've installed 1.6.17 just fine.

I had to be sure and click on the DAX to activate the RX1 but forgot to separately click on the TX button. So I was receiving but not transmitting. Once I clicked on the TX in DAX, it connected up fine.

So, bottom line, I know it work, it's just a matter of getting the DAX settings and the WSJT-X settings matched up.

I'm on the east coast, home about 5:30 or so, so post again, and maybe we can matchup setting and get you re-connected!

73  W8XG Brent

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    What version WSJTX? Have you confirmed audio out from the app in the DAX display? I've noticed that WSJTX sometimes gets cranky if you change audio sources without restarting it. All good, and all 48000 SPS?
  • Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited January 2016
    My WSJTX appeared to work perfectly straight after upgrade, but then confused me by displaying audio from BOTH slice A and B. A few minutes of head scratching and then I realised that the WSJTX audio input had reverted to the default microphone which could clearly hear the loudspeaker! Resale ting the Audaio input as DAX1 solved it. Worth checking. Another old app was unable to see the DAX 1 as it can only handle 6 audio devices. Had to disable the many unwanted DAX devices and others to get DAX 1 and 2 to show..
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    On setup DM780 transmits and the ptt keys the 6500 but no power output.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I to ran into problems with PTT on DM780 couldn't get it working on my end reverted to version 1.5.

it was a pain to go back to this version but it did resolve my PTT issue.

Ian
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Jim,

I've got the DAX output in RX stream  set to no 1 ( and clicked on - Blue) and in the slice channel 1. The DAX TX is also clicked on (blue) in the DAX and in the transmit control panel the DAX is clicked on. (I forgot that at first and of course, no transmission).

In WSJT-X under settings the input is DAX Audio RX 1 and the transmit is DAX Audio TX. Finally the radio is set to Com5. I created a second com in the CAT as com 4 is my DDutil, so WSJT-X is using com 5.

When I first started up WSJT-X after the update to 1.6.17, the audio streams had both reset themselves back to microphones and speakers. Once I set them back to the DAX settings, everything worked fine. Finally I'm talking to the radio (rig) as Kenwood TS-520.

That's all I got set. It's working fine. I'm not using HRD. If your settings are similar but you are also using HRD, maybe that's where it's getting more complicated??

As noted above in Bob's post, when 1.6 was installed, WSJT-X seem to revert back to it's basic setting and you have to get them reset.

Maybe this helps?

73  W8XG  Brent

• kg5eiu
    kg5eiu Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I also have the same issue with the new 1.6.17 code with JT65-HF HB9HQX and using HRD for rig control (latest version etc) as described:

When using HRD with JT65-HF HB9HQX, keying JT65-HF HB9HQX activates the MOX on the Flex 6600 and it puts out the appropriate signal.  On going back to receive mode with JT65-HF HB9HQX,  the DAX TX streaming stops and power output drops to zero, but the Flex 6500 MOX remains keyed, and the MOX indicator remains blue.  You have to manually click on it to deactivate MOX to return to receive.  JT65-HF HB9HQX otherwise decodes and transmits JT65 appropriately.  The only issue seems to be with PTT (MOX) function CAT control via HRD Rig control - open to ideas and suggestions I miss JT65-HF HB9HQX already and don't want to back rev to 1.5 SSDR

Has nothing to do with JT65-HF HB9HQX program - if I try DM780 - same results.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SSDR 1.6 with MiniDeluxe as a HRD server, WSJT-X 1.7.0 devel and DM780 run smoothly here. I do not advise to use the HRD rig control program.
    Have a look at my tutorial https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/tutorial-setting-up-wsjt-x-with-smartsdr
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Alex's instructions are very good.  I recommend using them.
  • Michael Hatcher
    Michael Hatcher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ian, 
    Did you figure out your PTT issue in DM780 using 1.6?  I am having the same issue, that I cant key my 6700 from DM780 but it keys and transmits fine in WSJT-X.  
    Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.