Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR Losing Connection - v3.1.8

Mike Presnell
Mike Presnell Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This is a new problem for me, since I installed V.3.1.8      Rig is a 6700.

I never had an issue with 3.1.7 or other previous versions,  however, if I leave my PC untended for a while (ie. an hour), my Smart SDR loses connection, closes, and the front panel power button does not respond, requiring I cut power to the radio to be able to start over again.

No, I don't have an issue with Windows power saver settings.. I always leave everything on, all the time.

Anyone else having a new issue like this with V3.1.8     This did not happen to me with v3.1.7 or others.

And NO... I'm not complaining... just hoping to ID a fix.  These last few versions have been great, and have installed without issue, so I am a very happy Flex user.

Comments

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hello Mike-
    Would be helpful to know your network & PC setup. Have you looked at the Event Viewer for possible errors?  
  • Joseph
    Joseph Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mike, I had a similar experience with the latest update.  My rig is a 6600m with SmartSDR on an 8 core 3.1Ghz Dell desktop with Windows 10 (latest build) and lots of RAM.

1. Started the radio update.
    2. Downloaded and installed the SmartSDR update (3.1.8). Restarted the machine.
    3. Restarted the radio and it looked and acted normally from the front panel.
    4.  Started SmartSDR...looked normal acted normal, BUT...
    5.  ...SSDR started with two slices, A and B, but neither of them were tied to the one showing on the radio!  I started a third slice, C, but SSDR would not open a fourth because I am guessing the one running on the radio, which had no letter where the slice identifier should be, was a legit slice as well.
    6.  I closed the B and C slices.  Slice A looked normal on the SSDR and the no-name slice acted normally, although independently, on the radio.  It was in Smart Control mode at the time.
    7. Rebooted everything.  This time everything looked like you would expect and Smart Control was working, BUT...
    8.  ...a few minutes later I tried the radio front panel and it was frozen.  Not in sync with the SSDR display, couldn't change freq, nada.
    9. Rebooted everything yet again (had to cycle the power on the 6600m) and everything came up normally.  And stayed that way.  So far...

I am more or less familiar with this behavior for a Flex update so it no longer drives me crazy.  Just keep resetting everything and sooner or later it starts to work for no apparent reason.

Hang in there!!
  • Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited October 2019
    Bill,
    RR..

PC is running Windows 10 with all the current updates.  PC is connected to my router wirelessly (I prefer to isolate my PC for lightning events).    The PC has an i7 4790, and 16GB of RAM. 

The Flex 6700 is connected to my Router via a 24 Port Gigabyte Switch.  

Good idea to check the event viewer... but I don't really know what I'm looking for there. 
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hello Mike-

May want to save your profiles and do a reset on the radio and see if the problem goes away.

Because your PC is connected to the radio wirelessly through the router there is always a chance the data stream can be interrupted for unspecified periods of time. 

Check the Wifi & Ethernet Adapters for power management settings.
    In the event viewer got to windows logs > Application to see if there are any red errors that might give a clue right after a crash.
    The problem you are experiencing is usually caused by an interruption in the network circuit. 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    WIFI or LAN ?
  • Joseph
    Joseph Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LAN
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Recently had some issues with SSDR disconnecting, my setup is I7 4790K wireless connected to my router. The router supplies DHCP serves thru a bridge connection [Ethernet to WiFi] in the PC between the router and the radio. That's where my problem existed. Since configuring the radio and PC with Static IP addresses my problems have vanished. Even though the IP lease parameter was as big as possible there was a chance the lease was renewed since my PC runs 24X7 for weeks on end. Believe a renew of the lease was causing an interruption between the radio and PC. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I also have a 6700 on all the time with PC and radio on the LAN of the WiFi router, I do not see any persistent lost connection. Joseph, loosing connection is not a regular behaviour of a Flexradio after an update, but rather a symptom of a problem on your network. Unless of course this was a known issue with a particular release which is not the case. It would not get used to the problem, I would find it and fix it.
    Bill has made excellent suggestions that should help you. To narrow down possibilities you may want to try to change your setup in order to isolate the problem. For example you may want to take your PC off the WiFI and connect directly on the LAN and see if you are experiencing the same thing, if you don't then it points to the WiFi connection, the router or PC, and you will have to investigate. If you get the same persistent disconnects through the same LAN, then try connecting the PC directly to the radio. If it disappears then you isolated it to be a router issue. If you are still getting the same persistent disconnects then the radio ethernet may have an issue or your PC network adapter or related software like power savings as suggested. Maybe a recent windows update modified your power saving settings to your wifi adapter, recheck.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.