Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR Guest Account

This has been mentioned before - is there going to be a facility where I can have a sub section “guest account”. ? I use my 6600 both local and remote - there are others at the local radio club that would enjoy the “Flex Experience” but I don’t want to make my login openly available to all, so a guest login that would also allow TX inhibit for those who are preparing for their exams would also be very useful. I also have friends in other countries eager to try the radio - so please can we have a “dual login” I know I can create a second smart SDR account, but this is no use to me if I am away and working remote because I will to de register then re-connect - you cant have the transceiver logged into two accounts at the same time. Is this in the list of wanted features ? 73 Phil G4UDU

Answers

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    At the Ham Radio fair at Lake Constance we where told this is in the works..Not seen any trace yet. I also wait eagerly for that .

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I agree with multi-user with permission types (TX/RX, RX, Slices permitted, etc.) along with shared RX slices and TX easily switched between users is the ideal next step for the remote Smartlink SmartSDR functionality.
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I think the logical next step is to provide user authorization rights for guests (friends, family, club members) where you can assign the privileges they have - after they login with user / password.  The authorized rights would be created and controlled by you (the owner) such that you can grant specific rights and/or restrict others to certain functions of the radio.  One user can be a special "guest" user that would be authorized guest privileges. And you can also create any other user authorizations for individuals and groups. I believe this is a way the flex remote eco-system can scale in terms of sharing radios with individuals or groups and expand usage. It is this [controlled] sharing that is really a game changer. dan WA1QZX
  • Nick RN3KK
    Nick RN3KK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Control access need function! Also need billing control, if need monetize
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Good ideas.   

Is this something that an App and the Flex API could do?

Add to an existing app package?  Build a new app?

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2020
    For any radio club with a sick and antennas - having them sitting doing nothing is a wasted resource - far better to have a Flex Radio and allow the membership to log in and use it.

One of the local clubs I visit has club members that are now in other parts of the country and would welcome the ability to participate on club nets.

Add to this those that have had to give up their "lifetime homes" and move into a retirement or nursing facility - a laptop and headset they are active on the bands again.

Maybe, dare I say it, we will have them participating in some real radio QSO's on CW or SSB and not pinging messages "to and fro" from computer terminals !

Phil G4UDU

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    That should have been   " a shack and antennas"   my bad typing and auto correct !

Thats why I stay off the "digi modes" !

Phil G4UDU
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Another idea for Flex beyond user privilege controls would be to enable multiple Flex radios to communicate with each other in a matrix like arrangement such that you could have authorized users login and select from to/from one or more radio servers in the matrix and operate the radio that best suits them in terms of making contacts.  The Flex radios would communicate with each other behind the scenes creating a virtual pool of RX/TX resources. The user would only have to login in once (single sign on) and have access to all in the "pool" and be able to switch quickly between each. The idea is you could locate the radios in different geographical areas.  One aspect of this is if you have a slice tuned into a particular station(s), the radios in the matrix can communicate / negotiate with each other to determine which has the best S/N and recommend you switch to another radio in the matrix for more optimum communication without logging out and back in.  Another aspect is you would be able to listen on one radio (RX slice) and transmit on another radio (TX slice).  There is probably other scenarios that would come into play also with this idea of a connected and coordinated matrix of Flex server radios.  The virtual matrix would be owned by an individual, group or club and have central management by one administration person.  Just a wild idea...…..dan WA1QZX 
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Great thought @Dan/WA1QZX! A similar idea was raised in a previous thread about what an update to the VITA-49 protocol, used within the Flex ecosystem, would allow users to do. Take a look at the video given to in the thread:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If you want you can skip to the reference specific to your idea at time stamp 13:50.
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks John, I will check it out. dan
  • RadioPhil
    RadioPhil Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just a follow up to my original question. Today is Dayton Hamvention day - I would have been there as I have been for many years and would have asked in person about this idea. I would still like to see a "Guest Account" for my Smart Sdr remote access - I have fellow hams just waiting to try out the setup and wanting this to happen. Yes I know I could setup an alternative account and then un-register the 6600 then log to new account then register/un-register re-register again - but really - do I want to do this ? So "Flex" can I ask how near the "to do" list is this option. CU you all next year at Hamvention - I have deferred my entry tickets for 2021 delivery. Phil G4UDU
  • Nick RN3KK
    Nick RN3KK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also wait guest access to radio.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This was promised to me , before buying last year at the HAm-RADIO Fair in Germany as "oh sure..this will be released shortly after the Fair "..  well..  all i got as updates is a mad tuner, unusable DSP Filtering ...but NO GUEST Account or even managable access to the radio with different levels .  

• Nick RN3KK
    Nick RN3KK Member ✭✭

Any news about here?

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

I apologize to anyone if their expectations were set incorrectly, but the ability to have different levels of SmartSDR logins with different permission levels, like a guest account is not going to be included in the next release of SmartSDR. This capability is in our Feature Enhancement database, but it has not been scheduled for an upcoming release of SmartSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.