Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR 1.4 stopped with errors

Gary Wise
Gary Wise Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Twice this morning Smart SDR v 1.4 stopped working with error messages.  I posted first about it here (but it may not be the right place??):

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/unhandled-error-on-shut-down-smartsdr-1-4?topic-rep...

Just now it did it again (though this time the entire Panafall display froze and the audio quit).  I was doing nothing on the computer at the time.  Here is the latest screen shot:

Here are my computer specs from the Properties Window

Using two monitors, driven by an ATI Radeon HD 3400.

Hope this is helpful.

Gary W8EEY

Comments

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Gary, use task manager to see what programs and services are running, then try to eliminate programs that are not essential to the operation of Windows. If you were doing nothing at the time, then some other program or service is causing the issues. I have had my antivirus glitch running programs until I told AV to not scan those programs.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gary, could you exchange running programms beetween the screens, ex: SSDR on main monitor, DXlab on the extended one, i think this error should disppeared ?
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Thanks K2CM and Sergey. I will try these suggestions when I'm back at the QTH on Friday.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this report into our bug tracker for further investigation.  Please report any additional information related to this specific issue in this community topic.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Getting ready for the CQ WPX Contest.  Excluded the FlexRadio program files subdirectory from Microsoft Security Essentials and swapped Smart SDR to the Main monitor (per suggestions here).

Today running N1MM Plus instead of DX Lab Suites.

Just sitting here I had an error message pop up.

On closing this error (hitting OK) a second error popped up:

The monitors are a Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT (Main) and Acer FP751.  Both are connected by VGA to an ATI Radeon HD 3400 video card.

Darn it!

Gary W8EEY
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Further Info:

After loading SmartSDR again I checked the Task Manager and noted TWO instances of Smart SDR running:

This is repeatable on my system.  If I shut SmartSDR and then reopen after waiting a few seconds, I get two instances showing.  I find that one of them responds to Minimize Maximize (right click in Task Manager), the other does not.  I can end task on the one that does not, and end up with only one instance of Smart SDR running OK.

I don't know if this will solve my error messages but it sure is interesting!

Gary - W8EEY
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    A few things.  First, this is not two instances of SmartSDR for Windows.  It is one instance of SmartSDR for Windows  and the SmartSDR messenger application what is responsible for the status messages you get when running SmartSDR for Windows.

Second, your system has thrown several very unique, never seen before errors and all have to do with the graphics subsystem.  I highly recommend that you update your graphics drivers. Here is a link to get the latest Catalyst drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The HD3400 is a 7 year old graphics card.  It may be having issues with the newer versions of DirectX and .NET.  If the driver update does not resolve the issues, you may want to consider a new graphics card.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Tim,

Thanks to you and all of your team.  I appreciate the extra effort on my behalf.  I used your link and updated my drivers.  Fingers crossed!

I never had any issues with version 1.38 of SmartSDR.  But possibly something in 1.4 is using my system differently (or maybe I have other issues here that are not related to SmartSDR at all!).

Anyway, I do appreciate your help.  Having fun and learning something!

Gary
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    After the driver updates, have had two separate stops. Here is the last one:

Different than before but still frustrating.

Gary
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That is a low-level crash of one of the .NET WPF DLLs that SmartSDR uses.  I think you may have an OS issue of some sort going on.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is a follow up for anyone experiencing a similar problem.  I'm not sure I've found the problem, but I think I have new significant information.

Since my last post I have updated my display adapter drivers (AMD/ATI) including Hydravision (their multiple adapter solution).  I also had Windows Update install all non critical updates.  I also installed SmartSDR version 1.4.3 (hoping for some magic!).  Even after all of these changes, I continued to have the error messages as before.

What I discovered is that if I run SmartSDR in a Window, I do NOT get the errors and the program does not fail!  I was running the program full screen before.  I only have a few hours of testing so far, so my theory is not conclusive.  But I am cautiously optimistic!

Here's a screenshot:

Note SmartSDR in a window and not full screen.

Tim - Your questions were on point about my monitors.  They are 4:3 monitors (not Widescreen).  Could SmartSDR's Full Screen graphics routines work better with Wide screen monitors?  I will be looking for two new WS monitors (I wanted more real estate anyway).

BTW Tim, in another thread you noted your QTH in North Carolina.  Turns out we are neighbors.  I live in Greenville, SC, just down the mountain from you.  Will you be at any upcoming area hamfests?  Would love an eyeball QSO.

Hope this helps others.

Gary - W8EEY
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Gary - the SmartSDR screen "fits" better in a widescreen monitor.

I was just at the Raleigh hamfest last weekend.

BTW, I was born in Greenville SC. I would have been born in Clemson, but back then they didn't have a hospital ;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.