Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR server in a 4G network

Marcelo PY1KN
Marcelo PY1KN Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am moving the LAN at my remote station to a 4G connected router since my wired internet is too slow for SmartLink.

I know the client works fine on cell networks, but has anyone had success with the server (i.e. that radio) on 4G?

I know that there are some issues with port forwarding on 3G/4G nets. Does SmartLink overcome that?

Answers

• Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It will all depend on the service provider and quality of 4G modem. The issue with Wireless is the network reliability from a packet loss, latency, and jitter will be variable. At the very least, plan on a 4G directional antenna pointing at a known tower to mitigate signal bouncing around/line of sight issues.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Probably a large diffrence betwen EU and Swedens 4G net compared to you in the US. Been on 3G and now 4G for years. Since last summer on 4g with two stacked outdoors antennas. I have paid for a fixed IP adress, having that opportunity while it's a company subscription.

Typically I enjoy 40-50  Mbit/s Down, 20-25 Mbit/s Up. Ping outside betwen 25-35 ms. I'm quite happy with this and when trying Smartlink or remote I have never had any performance issues.

I do live a bit from my nearest celltower and without my outdoor antennas it's really bad. Outdoor antennas are a must for me. My router reports around 75% signalstrenght, that's as good as it gets out here.

I guess if you have a good signal strenght, decent speed,4G is as good as anything else.

• Chuck White
    Chuck White Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    The biggest challenge you're likely to encounter is not so much the network performance, although as others have noted that is a possibility. I use such a configuration at home and the ISP which is in my case reselling AT&T wireless services, provides me with a "natted" connection i.e. my IP address is not directly accessible as a public IP on the Internet. It is instead a "private" IP address located behind their "router" somewhere in the cloud. SmartLink requires port forwarding be configured on your router, but since their router is also in line somewhere out there in the cloud, it would need to be configured too. They will provide a true "public" IP address for an additional monthly charge. This was the same situation a few years ago when I was using Verizon wireless as well.
  • Marcelo PY1KN
    Marcelo PY1KN Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yes, that is what I found out. Most providers use this "natted" connection scheme called CGNAT, which makes port forwarding impossible. Fortunately I found one provider that issues "public" IP addresses to the devices.  Thank you all for the inputs.
    Marcelo, PY1KN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.