Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

small flex amp

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
Any thoughts from Flex to build a smaller/less output/more affordable amp.  Would be nice to get a 500-600 watt flex designed amp.  

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I suggested that here several weeks ago, this would fill a void from ultra high end to mid range.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That idea has been suggested and I generally do agree with the need for it. Probably a "Power Genius mini" or "Power Genius" without the XL. 

Market it as a DXpedition amp, max 1kw and put a handle on it. Direct competition for SPE 1.3K-FA.

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nothing beats the Elecraft KPA500 in that range!
  • Elliot Skultin
    Elliot Skultin Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have the Ameritron AL811H with 800 Watts.  It is inexpensive, and very well built.  My signal and audio reports have been outstanding.  Can't beat it for $879.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Not yet..lol
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have a ALS 600 that is working very well with the Flex 6400M.  Went with a manual tuner AT2KD because my efforts with a AT 600ProII did not work even with the outstanding help from folks here on the community.  Agree with you Ria.  The current power genius is WAY out of my budget. 
  • Elliot Skultin
    Elliot Skultin Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you need help with the AT600ProII, let me know.  I got perfect performance with it and liked it so much, I just upgraded to the AT1000ProII.  
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    would be nice. Have a PW-1, but no auto band switching, so would be nice to have a 1000 by Flex, plug and play. My PW-1 is working great, just lost the auto band switching. Less cost.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Couldn't be called a Power Genius. Perhaps "Half Wit" would be appropriate.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    That's a play on Genius not at all meant to demean the Power Genius. ok, maybe Half Watt is better.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I use a KPA500/KAT500 combination that works very well. But it is expensive compared to other choices in the low end power class of amps. The biggest benefit is the FlexRadio/Elecraft compatibility and ease of use. So if Flex jumps in on this, there is lots of competition to deal with. Flexe’s plate is very full for the foreseeable future. I don’t see any room for them to move forward on this. Cost/sales analysis would have to be very accurate.
  • David Okay Patton
    David Okay Patton Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I appreciate your humor. But I bet it gets you in trouble sometimes. :^)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I had that amp. Reliable and tubes are cheap. Unfortunately manual fine, manual band switch, not suitable for remote for me.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    So we have "Power Genius"... The small amp should aptly be called:

Weak Idiot

Just my 2c
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Half wit is reserved for me! I worked hard to get that designation. 8^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'm still working on getting the band switching on mine. 
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No, no, no you guys are not being politically correct here at all.  The amp should be called....wait for it....
    Power Challenged.

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited May 2018
    Doesn't DDUtil bandswitch the PW1?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It's supposed to. I haven't found the secret sauce yet. I'm almost certain it is pilot error in my Serial settings. My problem right now is my time is taken up with Analysis of a K3S and all of it's accessories. I have to know everything about the radio before Field day. That and restoring our contest station after a major remodeling of the place. After that, I'll get back to figuring what I am doing wrong with DDutil.
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    And they are "hard" to ****, I think I am up to "boneheaded" stunt number 20...  Every time the terror came over me, when that fault light comes on, and there is no antenna in sight.  Or the Flex is at 50 or 60 watts when I changed bands, and forgot to put it back, and the fault lite comes on... 

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ah good one!  :-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Name the big one the Stud, and the little one the Spud.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.