Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SLR connector on the 6500?

W2NER
W2NER Member ✭✭
I have a 6500 coming (sold my 6300) and I know there is a SLR connector on the back.  What are the advantages of using the SLR connector over the 8 pin on the front?

Answers

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I believe a balanced line used by the XLR connector helps eliminate common mode noise.

An excerpt from Empirical Audio:
    One carries the uninverted signal and the other carries the inverted version of the same signal. Because the two signal wires carry inverted versions of each others signal, the receiving component only needs to sense the difference in the two signals. It will ignore any signal that is identical and common to both wires. This is a great advantage, because most noise sources will generally cause the same noise to appear on both wires (common-mode), such as 60 Hz noise from ground-loops or strong RF.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'll second Kevin's remarks. Balanced audio is generally less susceptible to noise. For amateur use, it's probably not a big fidelity difference for communications-grade audio, so if you're happy with your current mic setup there is no reason to change. If you have a studio-style mic, it may be fun to try. I have a headset mic in the front jack for contesting/DX, and a desktop mic in the XLR for casual use. Both work great. Make sure you set up good mic profiles (EQ) for both.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Couple of comments to add to the already valuable information shared by Kevin and George.
    The connector in the back of the 6500-6700 allows for both XLR and 1/4 male jack in the same socket.
    And, another advantage to using both the front and back connectors is that you can switch from one to the other from SmartSDR with a mouse click. So you can have a desk mic connected to the back for armchair rag chewing and easily switch to headset for a DX without having to unplug anything.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    One day when I'm a big boy I'll have a desk mic! Right now I use my RadioSport headset.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks guys
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    LOL!  You could do a LOT worse than a RadioSport!  It took me all of about 15 seconds after putting one on at the Dayton Hamvention to decide to add it to my list of essential purchases!  I have never worn a more comfortable headset.

I am saving up for one myself, which I will add to the front panel along with my Heil PR22 on the Back XLR connector.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tell you what, my wife hates the headset, why? because when she calls for me I can never hear her. I even used them one time out on the tractor as was dragging the yard for weeds! They are a really good headset. Bob and his friends over on K6UDA  YouTube didn't like them so much compared to Heil's but I found the Pro7's not to be for me, YMMV. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    For me, the advantage of completely blocking outside noise is offset by the extra pressure just bellow the ears on the jaw line. I use the CM500, because I can wear them for hours without much discomfort. I am afraid that the Pro7 or Radiosport will be too tight. Perfect for a noisy environment (contest station) not as great in the home (<--- for me). 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Salvador I had the same problem I talked to Dave when I was at Visalia and he said just bend the headband to fit and showed me how and since then I have worn them 12 hours straight with no discomfort at all. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I can't wait to go to one of these shows and test them. I have not put either one on, ever, so I am basing my opinion on how other mechanical noise canceling headphones have felt in my head. Thanks for the tip Rory.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.