Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slowly Growing Background Hiss on Skype Using Virtual Audio Cable with Flex 5000

Steve
Steve Member
In the process of setting up a remote base.  After listening for a while and turning down the volume I notice a significant background white noise on receive (3 bars on the Skype Audio bar graph).  The noise seems to grow when loud stations are heard and then it stays at that level.  If I switch inputs on Skype (to microphone for example) and then back to VAC the noise goes away (resets).  Have tried VAC 4.09 and 4.12 both 32bit and 64 bit. Has anyone had this trouble?  TNX

Win 7 Home Premium SP1 on i7 950 3.07GHz PC
PowerSDR 2.3.5 2048 buffer, 19200 Sample Rate
Power SDR VAC1 MME Driver 1024 buffer 48000 Sample Rate
VAC 4.9.0.1652 SR Range 11025 -> 96000 Cable Format, Vol Ctrl off
Skype 6.13.0.104, Microphone on VAC Line 1

Steve

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Have turned the auto gain adjustment off in Skype? Other wise, the Rx or tx. Gains will be automatically cranked up when there is no audio, which is the default setting of Skype.
  • Steve
    Steve Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks, I did.  The setting doesn't seem to make a difference to the hiss OR the main audio level.  I left it off thinking that was best.  The "hiss" has been as much as half scale (5 bars?) and if I turn the Flex off and on that seems to clear the hiss also.  ??   Thanks for the quick reply. 73
  • Ken
    Ken Member
    edited January 2015
    I have the same problem and it is coming from VAC. When I reset VAC (Restart Audio Engine in Control Panel) the noise or hiss goes away. It will come back though when I use the SDR. Any ideas??
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Steve,

Give VB-Cable a try...it is a free alternative to VAC. I do not use Skype, but I had some delay problems with VAC when using the digital modes on  my Flex 5000 and VB-Cable took care of the issue.

Ed, K0KC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.