slicemaster not starting wsjt-x?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
isnt slicemaster supposed to auto-configure wsjt-x for use with the flex 6600? I thought I had this working at one time, but now, I start slicemaster, I see it connect to the radio, I start wsjt-x and im getting a radio configuration error? Is slicemaster the best way to run ft8 on the flex? Or should I try to manually configure everything? 
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

• 80 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
SM will 'boot" WSJT-X ,if WTJX is in the default location. When you install WSJT-X (or JTDX) make sure you use the defaults. You can locate it elsewhere but the entails a bit more work. 

If that was already done, do you have a DAX channel open on the slice you are trying to launch?

That 'should' get you going. 

SM is the way to go!....

Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
James,

Are you starting WSJT-X yourself, or have you asked Slice Master to do this for you.  In Slice Master, you can either press the "quick launch" button for WSJT-X or set the launch mode to have it launched automatically when you set your slice to DIGU.

If the Launch tab is Slice Master doesnt give you the option to launch WSJT-X, then I'm with Lou and wondering if you have WSJT-X installed in its default location.

--Don

Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
well, it USED to work, and I didnt change the location of WSJT-X, I believe it was set to auomgically launch when I chose DIGU.....let me keep playing with it....

Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
hmmm...it works if I have SmartSDR running, but quits , or never starts if I have the Maestro in control.....
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Jamie

Does it help any, if you have DAX, and SmartCat, running on the PC your using to run Slicemaster and WSJT-X on? No need for SmartSDR, but DAX, and SmartCAT are the programs providing the connections to the radio for WSJT-X and Slicemaster.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Jay,

You could be onto something. Slice Master and the programs it launches don’t need SmartCAT to be running, but they do need DAX. If DAX isn’t running, rather than launch the program, Slice Master will just report a warning in the status area saying that the DAX channel is not enabled.

—Don
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Don

Right, Slicemaster doesn't need SmartCAT, it takes the place of it. Doesn't it connect directly to the radio?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 301 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Ok, going to highjack this thread. I just started using SliceMaster to launch JTDX which is great but, is there any way to also launch JTAlert after JTDX? I know JTAlert can launch JTDX but looking for a hook in SM. K1DBO? Ok nevermind I RTFM'd and I see that I can and it does or is supposed too. Looking at the .ini file for answers why it won't launch. I'm sure it's a path issue.
(Edited)
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 543 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Rory,

When I first added WSJT-X support to Slice Master I also added support for JTAlert.  But, JTAlert has a bug that until fixed, requires the user to carefully control the order in which JTAlert instances are created and destroyed.  JTAlert doesnt always attach to the right instance of WSJT-X.  Because of this bug I had to remove JTAlert support from Slice Master.  I've been keeping an eye on JTAlert and will add proper support when I can.  For now, please ignore those options in the config.ini.

--Don
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 301 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Thanks Don.
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

ok