SliceMaster not connecting to Flex 6500

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
SliceMaster is not displaying any programs to launch, the status bar at the bottom of SliceMaster say <No Connection> a few seconds after starting program. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Win10 under Parallels. I have CW Skimmer and WJST installed in their default directories and I've started both programs numerous times. SliceMaster is working great at home, but when I start SliceMaster on my laptop I don't see the "Connected" messages in SSDR pop up after starting SliceMaster as I do when starting the program at home.

Larry
Photo of W0SX

W0SX

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 377 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I have seen that happen, usually when DAX is not running.  If you hover your mouse over the bottom of the SliceMaster window you can see some messages that might assist.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 447 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
The "no connection" message suggest a network issue.  This is often firewall related but can also be seen when the radio is not on the same network as the computer running Slice Master.  Slice Master doesnt support SmartLink, so for now, remote operation is limited to VPN connections that support bridging.
Photo of Jen Van (KD9FMJ)

Jen Van (KD9FMJ)

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did a search and came upon this. I downloaded Slicemaster for both FT-8 and HRD. Also, I want to use this while away from home. I was getting it all set up and a friend said it won’t work away from home. To do a test I used a Verizon hotspot that I own and sure enough no connection. Now I read that it’s limited to VPN connections that support bridging? So basically I won’t ever be able to do FT-8 on the hotspot or log. And, I’ll have to download yet another piece of software to log into HRD away from home. Is there any work around to get slicemaster working on a hotspot or other than home networks? This is a bit disappointing.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 447 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
The next release of Slice Master is likely to support SmartLink.  My current development version allows an IP address for the radio to be specified.  SmartLink is the right way to do this though. The IP address solution still requires either a VPN or other network fiddling.

It's not as easy as with Slice Master, but you could always configure FT8 by hand.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 375 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Jen, what I do for remote is keep a windows PC running full time on the network by the PC and then I RDP (TeamViewer) to that PC.  It give you a very reliable digital connection as all the communications is local to the radio and you are not relying on the internet (which we have zero control on) to not drop packets.

I have found that in a remote situation, this was the simplest and I didn't have to worry about getting things working on multiple  computers.  This way you only have 1 to maintain.  

Just a thought, Mike va3mw
Photo of Jen Van (KD9FMJ)

Jen Van (KD9FMJ)

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had thought of teamviewer also. I was wondering what you had used at W9DXCC because you had shown me Slicemaster. Can I ask how well that works for you? Any lag time?
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 375 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I was using Remote Desktop to the PC at the radio end.  Yes, there is Lag as there will always be lag due to the design of the internet.  I was getting about 90ms in the hotel that day.